Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
Registered User
brace's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Just got my stick and will be fitting a NGH GT-9 on the front, should be interesting, worried about the undercarriage as well, don't know what the alloy is that HK use but it has no spring in it. Might take a while to have the plane ready, a few shipping repairs needed for the wing covering and some careful redesigning to fit the gas motor.
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:45 AM
Registered User
ChuckTseeker's Avatar
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,399 Posts
finally got out yesterday to my mates runway and had a great afternoon flying, BBQ tea then flying some more till dusk i put 10 fills 15-18 min flights threw the stick 1500 (never dead sticked at all ) and this thing is very impressive, the color scheme is ok too and easy to see in the sky

I am so glad i retired the ol Cosmos and spent $81 buying this plane with the ASP .52 glow motor it just flies so fast and every move i can do it, does with ease i did as mentioned before beef up the frame around the landing gear and i have had no problems what so ever yet, the one hard landing i did do, bent one side slightly, of that super soft looking strut, which i must say i was worried about at first, but i just straightened it back into shape and have had no trouble with it since, if you line the plane up right and fly it down it lands beautifully

so far so good and i would recommend this plane as it seems so good at the moment! guess seeing as it's a VQ plane there was a good chance it would be an ok plane

getting out for another fly tomorrow, ahh lifes good

cheers chuck

PS Aero my hatch seems fine maybe because it is behind the engine and protected a bit?
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Nov 24, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:41 PM
Registered User
ChuckTseeker's Avatar
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,399 Posts
what a great morning it was again, perfect conditions at the chicken farm airfield

this plane just amazes me i am very happy with it

what more can i say?

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
152 Posts
Looks you guys down under got first crack at this one It just hit the US warehouse.
Everyone seems to really like it from the post so far. My question is it say it's a good trainer, is that true? How does she fly?
Thanks for the help,
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuejim View Post
Looks you guys down under got first crack at this one It just hit the US warehouse.
Everyone seems to really like it from the post so far. My question is it say it's a good trainer, is that true? How does she fly?
Thanks for the help,
Jimmy
Hi Jimmy, the plane itself flys really well and I plan to buddy box on the weekend with a 1st timer, the only things is that both chuck and myself feel the undercarriage is a little soft, holds up well if you can bring her in easy.

I will buy another once Australian warehouse gets more of them.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
Racquetball Lives!
Backwall's Avatar
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
Sticks are great

The first plane I owned in the 1970's was a plane from Midwest Products Manufacturing called "Das Ugly Stick". It's long gone, but I still fly a stick today. I fly a 2C .60 size "Ugly Stick" (common red version with white panels bearing the German Maltese Cross) which is SPA legal for competition. SPA is the Senior Pattern Association. While many members are seniors, it actually refers to planes built in the 60's and 70's and before 1976. That stick weighs about 3 kg and has a 1600mm wingspan. As an aerobatic plane, especially since it is a highwing, it has some limitations. But it still does a pretty good job with the first two classes of competition (Novice and Sportsman). I just recently bought Hobby King's stick 1500 and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. It's nearly the same size as the Ugly Stick (100mm less on the wing span), but the weight is considerably less. I'll probably go electric as my other stick uses glow fuel and I've have had an electrick stick yet. I think the stick models do a very creditable job as sports aerobatic trainers. The included pic is a .60 size stick (not mine). The only thing that bothers me a little from the pictures of the S1500 is that the mains look like they are quite forward on the fuse. In my opinion, that could compound ground looping tendencies some. I may try to relocate mine back a little. I'll just have to wait until it arrives though before I make that decision. Good luck with your sticks.

Dave
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Sep 2011
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuejim View Post
Looks you guys down under got first crack at this one It just hit the US warehouse.
Everyone seems to really like it from the post so far. My question is it say it's a good trainer, is that true? How does she fly?
Thanks for the help,
Jimmy
I have seen aeromaniac fly his and had a good look at it, My personal opinion is that you would need to already know how to fly or its not going to end well.

With the G46 670kv its unlimitted vertical and quite fast and the construction is very light so it wont take the knocks a real trainer can.

I have been bashing a 46 size Boomarang around with the same motor for around 12 months now and its survived every heavy landing and mistake I have made so far, build much stronger and heavier and wont fly as fast.
golf_lake is offline Find More Posts by golf_lake
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:08 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
scrub monkey's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
851 Posts
maybe couple it up with one of the inc motors from hk also. they are pretty good motors for 65 dollars
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:20 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,652 Posts
The stick is a pussy cat and doesnt seem to have any bad habits, certainly not ground looping, on the ground she tracks just fine, ok the stick will weather cock if the wind is strong enough, but then again a lot of planes will.

I have done all kinds of take offs from banging the throttle wide open from a standing start to long and slow power ups, I love it that much i will buy another when they are back in stock.

Aero
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:43 AM
Racquetball Lives!
Backwall's Avatar
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
You've got mail!

The stick came this week. My only complaint is that it usually takes two days at most before the Hobbyking international warehouse ships an item. The USA warehouse sat on my plane for four days before shipping and it ended up coming the day after Christmas, instead of the day before! The box was wrinkled like it had been dropped on one end, but everything was fine inside. I did think the fuse a little flimsey, so I'll probably brush on some thinned resin on the inner wood surfaces. I should be able to do this at about a quarter of a pound or less if I spread it thin enough. I'll probably also add a 1/8 inch ply placed inside and add some triangular stock to secure it so as to beef up the main gear mount. I'm planning on using Hobbyking's 4240-740KV Aerodrive SK3 on 4s batt with the parkzone 10x8x3 prop for power. If that's not good enough, I might try my TonicX Z-30A 1100KV heli motor on 6s batt. If it can swing a 550mm blade, then a 12 inch prop should be no problem. I'll just have to bench test it to make sure I'm not exceeding some RPM limit. I guess I could use my Rimfire .80 on it, but that is way too much overkill. Setup will be dual ailerons, elevator, rudder, and motor control. The ailerons will be set as flaperons. I'll probably go with a little larger wheels as well but the rest I'll most likely keep stock.
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:16 PM
Registered User
ChuckTseeker's Avatar
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,399 Posts
VQ Stick 1500 key cam ride with ChuckT

Well it's been holiday time, so i have been out flying whenever the weather allows! So here we have my VQ Stick 1500 .52 Glow powered plane out at my mates Chicken Farm Runway, yes Glow is slimy and sometimes down right frustrating, but a lot of fun anyway and being an "Electric Man" i just had to give it a go! Don't think i'll get anymore because i have a couple now and as said i like electric! But being lucky enough to have plenty of space to fly these noisy things, i just had to have "a go at glow" and this is my sporty fun plane.
Anyway enjoy this Key Cam look out where i fly and the Chicken Farm Airfield from above

cheers chuck

VQ Stick 1500 key cam ride with ChuckT (4 min 30 sec)
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:47 AM
Racquetball Lives!
Backwall's Avatar
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
First flights

Well, I maidened the stick 1500 this weekend. Used the Turnigy 4240 740Kv on a 3600 Mah 4s Sky lipo battery. The first takeoff went fine until I released the elevator to normal, and then the plane wanted to dive. I had added nearly 8 oz dead weight up front to get it to balance on the suggested CG. After landing, I pulled out 4oz (one 2000Mah 7.2V NiMh batt--already dead). I took off again, and if flew much better, but still needed some up elevator. Still seems a little nose heavy. About half way through the flight (after rolls, loops, mild acro, and some spins) I had some trouble maintaining level flight. It seemed to want to climb a lot. I noticed later as I set up for landing and made a circuit that it looked like some wires sticking up in the front part of the fuselage. Yep! you guessed it. The other deadweight battery fell out taking the hatch with it causing me to be somewhat tail heavy. I had originally placed a NiMh batt on each side of my flight battery to get the CG listed in the manual. They were wedged in tight so I didn't tie them down. But after I removed one, the other was loose enough to fall out on its own. Well, live an learn. I think what this stick really needed was to build an extension on the front of the firewall that stuck out about 1 1/2 inches to put the weight of the motor more forward. A glow wouldn't need it, but an electric does. That way I could do away with the dead weight entirely. I must say that with the Turnigy aerodrive SK3 4240 it really scoots out. I was worried I would end up with a high-speed taxi and no takeoff, but this motor really puts out. I did have one problem that someone had identified earlier. Even without a hard landing, the gear is flimsy enough to spread some. I think a rod anchored between the two legs near the wheels should be all the stiffener needed to fix this problem. I'm really enjoying this stick.

Dave
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwall View Post
Well, I maidened the stick 1500 this weekend. Used the Turnigy 4240 740Kv on a 3600 Mah 4s Sky lipo battery. The first takeoff went fine until I released the elevator to normal, and then the plane wanted to dive. I had added nearly 8 oz dead weight up front to get it to balance on the suggested CG. After landing, I pulled out 4oz (one 2000Mah 7.2V NiMh batt--already dead). I took off again, and if flew much better, but still needed some up elevator. Still seems a little nose heavy. About half way through the flight (after rolls, loops, mild acro, and some spins) I had some trouble maintaining level flight. It seemed to want to climb a lot. I noticed later as I set up for landing and made a circuit that it looked like some wires sticking up in the front part of the fuselage. Yep! you guessed it. The other deadweight battery fell out taking the hatch with it causing me to be somewhat tail heavy. I had originally placed a NiMh batt on each side of my flight battery to get the CG listed in the manual. They were wedged in tight so I didn't tie them down. But after I removed one, the other was loose enough to fall out on its own. Well, live an learn. I think what this stick really needed was to build an extension on the front of the firewall that stuck out about 1 1/2 inches to put the weight of the motor more forward. A glow wouldn't need it, but an electric does. That way I could do away with the dead weight entirely. I must say that with the Turnigy aerodrive SK3 4240 it really scoots out. I was worried I would end up with a high-speed taxi and no takeoff, but this motor really puts out. I did have one problem that someone had identified earlier. Even without a hard landing, the gear is flimsy enough to spread some. I think a rod anchored between the two legs near the wheels should be all the stiffener needed to fix this problem. I'm really enjoying this stick.

Dave
I use a G46 in mine and it seems to balance fine?.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:07 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,562 Posts
HK notified me they were in stock and you sods all bought them before I could order mine.
(So I bought a Sukhoi)
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
HK notified me they were in stock and you sods all bought them before I could order mine.
(So I bought a Sukhoi)
Lol gotta be quicker, you snooze, you loose
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question VQ Stick 1500 Question PigHeaded 3D / Fun Fly Fuel Planes 1 Jun 05, 2012 04:15 PM
Sold turnigy 2730-1500 and hobbyking ss 8-10amp esc ff954 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 5 Sep 02, 2010 01:35 PM
For Sale turnigy 2730-1500 and hobbyking ss 8-10amp esc ff954 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Sep 02, 2010 07:12 AM
Discussion Heavy Slow Stick HobbyKing power system recommendations Cralis Parkflyers 2 Apr 12, 2010 01:14 PM
Slow Stick 400 & 1500 7.4 lipo what prop? CarreraGTSCS Parkflyers 0 Nov 22, 2004 11:31 AM