HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Jan 2011
1,136 Posts
Build Log
BVM Viper came back home

Well I got my old Viper back. It was in need of some TLC since it bit the dust from it's owner after me had a controller issue. I had to bring out paint swatches to match it's new scheme but I have managed to repair the wing at this point and the stabs. Going to try to keep it really light. I want to take it down to a 90mm I've done 120-100s myself and will do a 90mm and set CG accordingly. It had some struts and on it and BVM wheels but I'm thinking light so I may just use traditional rod and some good old dubro or robart wheel. Light, also the 90 mm is a TJ90 with wemo rotor and 1515 2Y motor. It has a lower KV but should have plenty of air. So I need to build a few formers for the nose section as this was destroyed. It has been rebuilt on the inside. Now I need to sand. All electronics need to be gone through. Just to make sure no servo pots are damaged. And will give me a chance to redo the wiring internally.

Well the BVM Viper lives again!
jefffassbinder is offline Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:40 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,481 Posts
Nice score! It's a classic IMO!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:31 PM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
912 Posts
Depending on the weight you might look at the MPI aluminum wheels. Tam has them, he told me some time ago that they would be good to about 10 pounds. They look light weight and sharp. Just ordered a set of my Super Sniper XL
pulsar110 is offline Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,136 Posts
MPI Wheels

I will take a look at those. I know I had tried them on another project but traction was a problem. But maybe, doesn't hurt to taxi test and see how it handles. I'm working the speed brake on the bottom of wing hinge and servo. Then need to add in the servos and gear. I'm using springair as I had these before and they worked well in this airframe. I will be doing a overhaul on them cleaning and taking apart then getting the o lube out to get the orings lubed up. Nose is still calling for attention. I have to finish the hatch paint and masking. Intake ducting needs to be sanded and then I can start some electronics on the fuselage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:45 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,875 Posts
i had those on my jhh cougar at 14 lbs. loved them.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2010
285 Posts
I've got the MPI wheels on my BVM Viper and they work okay but they have come off and dont stand up to the braking...so to be honest if I had to do it again I would go with Tam's Pro Lite wheels. I have those on the JHH F86 and it does much better. They look better too.

Jeff, Are those pics all the same Viper or 3 different ones?
db_sonic is offline Find More Posts by db_sonic
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:51 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder View Post
I will take a look at those. I know I had tried them on another project but traction was a problem. But maybe, doesn't hurt to taxi test and see how it handles. I'm working the speed brake on the bottom of wing hinge and servo. Then need to add in the servos and gear. I'm using springair as I had these before and they worked well in this airframe. I will be doing a overhaul on them cleaning and taking apart then getting the o lube out to get the orings lubed up. Nose is still calling for attention. I have to finish the hatch paint and masking. Intake ducting needs to be sanded and then I can start some electronics on the fuselage.
Are these the wheels, I have a Super Sniper Xl and need some replacements.

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-56...b-Light/Detail
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:55 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sonic View Post
I've got the MPI wheels on my BVM Viper and they work okay but they have come off and dont stand up to the braking...so to be honest if I had to do it again I would go with Tam's Pro Lite wheels. I have those on the JHH F86 and it does much better. They look better too.

Jeff, Are those pics all the same Viper or 3 different ones?
I looked at Tam's site and could only find the Pro Lites in sets with retracts and brakes. Does he sell just the wheels seperately.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Feb 2010
285 Posts
Yes, those are the very same MPI wheels but Tam's setup uses a brass bushing.

I noticed that too. But I think Tam would sell a set of wheels only tho you need to tell him axle size. They are nice wheels.
db_sonic is offline Find More Posts by db_sonic
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Mar 2007
376 Posts
3 Viper

Looks like Jeff has a few birds.
RCSCALEGUY is offline Find More Posts by RCSCALEGUY
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,136 Posts
These are all the same airplane

Hossinarizona, these images are all the same bird that has had many transformation. I initially had this as a glow engine Viper and it hauled. Then I converted to electric at 120mm and it moved alright considering it was back in the 20-25c days and batteries are not what they are today. Then I had to cut in the forward hatch to access batteries. I'd rather have a hatch line then hangar rash from having to access another way. Currently, it is in it's Luftwaffe state. I will continue with this scheme and repair in this manner. I have a set of light thin Hanger 9 wheels that I've used on my A-7 Corsair on the nose. I will give these a try as they are thin and light for mains. Gear and wires are in so wing is done. Need to work on the nose gear area and then the hatch improvement.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,596 Posts
We have the wheels with 3 sizes of plastic bushings included. Be sure to epoxy the tire to the rim.
Sold in pairs.
http://www.effluxrc.com/WHEELS_c38.htm
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:31 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
My advice, get the wheels with plastic bushings. Tam's brass bushings are a tight fit, need to be oiled on a regular basis, tend to freeze up when you need them. The slightest scratch, dirt etc will cause the bushings to freeze.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:04 PM
Mil-Spec
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Hey Jeff, looks like your are putting that KFIR $$$ to good use. Cant wait to see it fly..... The Viper and the KFIR that is
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:53 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
My advice, get the wheels with plastic bushings. Tam's brass bushings are a tight fit, need to be oiled on a regular basis, tend to freeze up when you need them. The slightest scratch, dirt etc will cause the bushings to freeze.
good advice. the brass bushing are real bad and usaully bind.

** and since someone bought the KFIR I so badly wanted, I had Larry ship me a kit. Arrives tomorrow for some build time. :-))
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer