HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:24 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
I got it fired up today. Needed 5 clicks richer and it was singinn dixie
Glad to see it wasn't gummed up that bad. Good luck flying, Waffleman. We'll need a flight report.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Good luck with your Little Extra. I bought one about 4 yrs ago after they went out of production. Installed an OS .15LA with a 4oz tank. Once I got it flying, I liked it so much I searched the web high and low for another ARF kit so I'd have a spare. It's been around the block a bit since then but it still flies fine and I've still got the spare ARF under the bed. Like most of the others I've heard about, it began shedding it's covering pretty quickly beginning with the stripes. I'm doing a little patchwork on it again this week. Other than that, it's been a great little sport plane that flies like a larger model while taking up little room.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:51 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
I am gonna maiden it tomarow, if the wind is not to bad.
You have an OS 15 on yours? How much speed do you get out of that?
If my 09 isn't fast enough, I have an OS 25fx that should fit up there...
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
I see what you mean about the covering... It wants to peel off no matter how many times I tack it down with a covering iron... Frustrating.

That being said, I have less than $20 into this thing, and thats for the battery.
(It had like an old cell phone battery in there, from before li-on batteries. That had to go.)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee View Post
I liked it so much I searched the web high and low for another ARF kit so I'd have a spare.
I have done that before...
I had an extemely overpowered electric job from model tech that was given to me by an all glow and gas guy, and it ejected the battery. I looked franticly all over the place to find another one, with no luck.
Then, the same guy goes into the store he bought it in, and there are two more on the shelf.
I buy both, assembal one, and still have the other one NIB.
It might be the last one of then out there NIB, they were never all that popular and I have never seen one besides the three that I have had.
Last edited by Waffleman; Nov 21, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
IMHO, the .15 is plenty of power for exciting sport flying. I usually keep it throttled back a bit, especially going downhill. The .25 would be overkill on this bird and prop clearance could be an issue. I have heard of some flying well with .18s, though. Keep in mind that the plane was originally marketed to fly with the Norvel .074, though it probably wasn't a barn burner with that setup.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
Too rich

Too Rich - Herr Little Extra taxi test. (3 min 19 sec)

Maiden tomorrow!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:11 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
Take off - OH SH*T - splat

Reversed airlerons somehow didn't notice them
Took off, started rolling and got worse as I tried to correct. Hit the ground inverted, snapping off the verticle stabilizer, and shearing off part of the glow plug.

Quick fix, just some 5min epoxy and its good.

In the few brief seconds it flew, the engine was not impressing me power-wise. So I mounted up a brand new magnum 15 xls that I had laying around, and rebalenced it. It should be good this time!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Just curious on the AP Hornet .09, what prop you were using. Was it a 7x5? The Magnum .15 ought to be a good step up with an 8 inch prop.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
7x4 prop. I don't thing a 7x5 would make much difference, it was really underpowered
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
The Mag should cure the power situation. Now we'll need a fight report.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
Wendsday, of thursday or friday. Don't know which.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:37 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
Well, Yesterday I discovered that the bung was stuck up in the front of the fuel tank, and fixed that problem
Today, it flew once before the elevator servo arm broke as I was putting a bungee cord on the tail to keep it from nosing over on startup. (Heavy glowdriver makes it noseover as soon as it starts, almost broke the prop.)

It flew good the one flight. It needed down elevator, and some aileron. The engine was way too rich, but it was running, so I didn't care. So what I didn't have full throttle? It beats not flying any day.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
I guess it is similar to riding motorcycles. The worst ride is better than the best day of work.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:35 PM
The Luftwaffle
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
Until you wreck