HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FeiJi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
Discussion
Tower Hobbies P51D

I bought this as an empty plane and put in 950kv motor, 40amp servo and 9x7.5 prop. I haven't flown it yet but it did try to take off in my living room when I was fooling around with the radio settings and accidently set the throttle on full power. It tried to chew its way through my sofa. Anyway broke the prop and the motor mount broke off. Just as well as I epoxied it back on stronger but it would be nice to get it in the air before I crash it.
Update 11/7: Maidened this morning. Horrifying flight but didn't crash. Rates were too high and it just took off skyward and was almost harriering. Then got it under control, barely moving the sticks then had a nice few minutes of flying around, thought about landing it then it took a funky dive toward the ground (have no idea what caused that) and luckily got it down with only one landing gear slightly bent. Scary. Got to lower the rates then find what caused the dip. Otherwise it was fun and looks cool in the air. Never had a scale plane before. Also it is fast, I was using less than 50% throttle. I'm used to poking around except with my wings but an EPP wing is crashable, this one isn't so.
Update 11/10: I don't know why everyone brags about this plane, you look at it wrong and something falls off. Mine doesn't even look like a p51 anymore, it looks like the phoenix, front wood frame is filled with epp, motor is held on with a bamboo rod and rubber bands. The wheels bend or break at the slightest pressure. It makes me appreciate my wings, if I crash hard, and I mean Ali punching hard, I walk over and throw it back up into the air. With this plane I get one flight and a flakey landing or even a normal landing and its back to the hanger. No more flimsy tractors for me. Even my plank is a much stronger airframe than this one The balsa or whatever kind of wood they used on the p51 just shatters with the lightest of hits. At least now if it hits the nose too hard the whole front section just separates from the foam fuse so I just hotglue it back on. Probably a good way to keep this one flying. If you can get it in the air its great but woe to me when its time to land. My foam Cessna takes a bad landing with ease. I suppose I should enjoy the prospect of repairing it and figuring out how to make it beefier but the trip to the flying field is basically a waste to just fly this one. I will be glad when I finally fold the wings up so I can salvage the electrics for a big wing.
I did find that it does not need the tail wheel at all. In fact it steers on the ground better without it just using rudder power. I could fly it without the LG but one of the reasons I got it was for ROG. WIll have to try that next I guess.
FeiJi is online now Find More Posts by FeiJi
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FeiJi; Nov 09, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts