HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:40 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Giant scale folks - the kind of folks to whom a $2000 radio is pocket change.

6 Aileron Servos
2 Elevator servos
2 Rudder servos
3 Retracts
1 Throttle
2 Flaps
1 Lights
1 Pilot/Nose Wheel

I get to see a setup like that every year at our winter modeling expo. The guy says it takes two pilots, two radios to fly it - I have no idea what that means. There are other reasonable configurations of 18 servos I can think of too.
Sound like a bit of "show off" from that guy.... Those who fly large birds here, simply use electronic devices (matchbox I think?) that take care of things like the 6 ailerons servos, and allow them to calibrate each servos so they don't fight each other because of the differences in linkage geometry caused by the wings. So, many outputs to each calibrated servos, but only one input will control one aileron perfectly. Heck, a couple of them still use their 10 years old transmitter with very little channels!

But sure enough, the more channels the merryier! Bombers with retracts, FPV, large heli (adjustable gains), etc, are starting to take more and more channels. Heck, a quad as awesome electronic onboard, yet, you can easily use more than 8 channels.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Giant scale folks - the kind of folks to whom a $2000 radio is pocket change.

6 Aileron Servos
2 Elevator servos
2 Rudder servos
3 Retracts
1 Throttle
2 Flaps
1 Lights
1 Pilot/Nose Wheel

I get to see a setup like that every year at our winter modeling expo. The guy says it takes two pilots, two radios to fly it - I have no idea what that means. There are other reasonable configurations of 18 servos I can think of too.
You might have 6 aileron servos, but you still would use only one aileron channel to control them. These giant scale guys clutter their planes up with operating features that have nothing whatever to do with flying the plane.

That's why they typically have a couple of radios. Usually one is responsible for all the control surfaces, the other handles the engines, retracts, and those other operating features that don't have to do with flying the plane, lights, waving pilots, parachute drops, missile launchers, sometimes flaps and air brakes too.

I'm sure each team breaks things up differently. You can see that there are definite advantages of using multiple radios to do the controlling of such a complex flying machine. I'm a bit mystified by 18 functions on one radio, even for the giant scale Illuminati.

In the end, methinks the reasoning for such a flagship radio comes down to "Because WE CAN." It's a little like Renault formula 1 racers. They aren't going to be owned by someone in the general public. But the benefits of the company working with them might just flow to those who buy their more pedestrian products.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,506 Posts
You forgot to include

gear doors
bomb bay doors
bomb drop
smoke
multiple throttles (with scale start-up sequencing)
machine-gun sound
drag brake
drag chute for landing
ignition cut

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You forgot to include

gear doors
bomb bay doors
bomb drop
smoke
multiple throttles (with scale start-up sequencing)
machine-gun sound
drag brake
drag chute for landing
ignition cut

Andy
Yup! There's NO END to the list of things you can use channels for. You might even open the door to multiple 18 channel radios! Well, maybe a six or eight for flying the plane and an 18 for all the other fun stuff! Heck, you accounted for 12 channels above for a four engine plane, 16 channels for an eight engine plane.

And we can add:
leading edge slats
variable wing geometry
vectored power, separate from rudder, elevator and aileron controls (why? because we can!)
VTOL stuff for Harrier style jets......
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:09 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
At least now they are starting to add more 3 positions switches (and analog pots). Having none on the DX6i and only 1 on the DX7 was a pity if you wanted to do anyting fancy. We're getting there, we're getting there!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler