HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
No it was the lady at the JR indoor that always handles the JR questions. I posted back at the beginning that she was I charge of the promotion.
I missed that post, was it in this thread?

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:30 AM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
Bet this thing gets released on time unlike everything else they come out with.
tsymonds is online now Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
So wait... the "unique" promotion is about a radio nobody really wants? Maybe it was just about collecting email addresses? I never got an email about it though.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
Does Horizon even bother reading these threads? I know Andy does, but their marketing dept needs to be fired or get a clue on what we actually want with what they're peddaling in ther Ads.
Yes, they do. In fact we share links as we find them.

You guys came up with lots of great ideas for future products, I think.

They don't let me anywhere near marketing, but I learned a few things from when I ran my own RC company. When you read them, you'll understand why I think this was a brilliant ad campaign.

1) Customers are fantastic idea sources. Let them brainstorm and capture their thoughts. You know, like in this thread ...

2) Customer will tell you what they really want if you are keen enough to listen. What they write isn't always what they want - reading between the lines (correctly) is necessary.

3) It doesn't matter if they are laughing at your ad, it's the generating of people thinking about it that's important. (Chuck knows why I said that...) That's along the lines of "no such thing as bad publicity" that you hear about sometimes.

4) There are some very creative folks out there. The spoof videos are just as important as the stuff we generate. Spoofs go viral, which translates to more eyeballs and brains being engaged.

5) Sometimes what you are selling with an ad isn't what your selling in the ad.

My take - we have a brilliant marketing campaign in the DX18QQ mystery ad!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Pfftttt.... I still ain't gonna buy it.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
madjeff
United Kingdom, Stockton-on-Tees
Joined Mar 2008
535 Posts
ohh well was hoping for a new mqx, as its been copied to death and some are better than it.
sssss18 is offline Find More Posts by sssss18
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
I just added up the items in thie special DX18QQ package. These are the transmitter, 12ch receiver, 8 channel expansion module, carry box, flash light. From that total I subtracted the 9 channel receiver that comes with the $800 DX18. Total comes to roughly the same amount of money. The upgraded features, graphics, and other items added in not included. So, it really isn't a $1200 transmitter as some are writing here. It is the collection of some really good higher priced components, custom programming, cool looks etc.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, IN, Milan
Joined Feb 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
3) It doesn't matter if they are laughing at your ad, it's the generating of people thinking about it that's important. (Chuck knows why I said that...) That's along the lines of "no such thing as bad publicity" that you hear about sometimes.
Bad publicity is still bad publicity especially if it alienates the main share of your market. Ask Coke they can tell us all about New Coke and Coke classic.
JIMBOJONES is offline Find More Posts by JIMBOJONES
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

My take - we have a brilliant marketing campaign in the DX18QQ mystery ad!

Andy
Judging from the responses here and on Facebook, your "take" is incorrect.

The campaign did accomplish what an ad campaign is suppose to do, capture the interest of prospective customers. However, the resulting release was a disappointment, on the verge of an insult, to a vast number of potential customers.

You may want to direct some of the decision makers at Spektrum to this thread. Of course, everyone can read the Facebook posts at Parkzone's page.

By the way, if I want my DX6i or DX7s to be "unique," I'll put "my" name on it, not someone elses.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOJONES View Post
Bad publicity is still bad publicity especially if it alienates the main share of your market. Ask Coke they can tell us all about New Coke and Coke classic.
You mean the temporary new product release that caused everyone to buy twice as much Coke so they could taste the difference? Yeah that was a mistake.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,728 Posts
I agree

The price alone with the unique aspect is insulting and for a marketing dept this should be a no brainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Judging from the responses here and on Facebook, your "take" is incorrect.

The campaign did accomplish what an ad campaign is suppose to do, capture the interest of prospective customers. However, the resulting release was a disappointment, on the verge of an insult, to a vast number of potential customers.

You may want to direct some of the decision makers at Spektrum to this thread. Of course, everyone can read the Facebook posts at Parkzone's page.

By the way, if I want my DX6i or DX7s to be "unique," I'll put "my" name on it, not someone elses.

Jim
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:37 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
First the left testicle with the hyper taxi, now the right one with this radio? You'd think some people would learn but I guess horizon has no nads left to loose. Fail advertising X2
The Hyper Taxi is great. Very fragile, but I've flown other aircrafts that would not take a crash nicely either so it's only a question of having the skill to keep it in the air. Sure it was something that had been done as well, but the AS3X truly made it MUCH better. I'm quite happy with mine (other than I did crash it once too many time) Great indoor airplane for sure, and totally different than most indoor airplanes.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
683 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I like the way it looks! It's only a matter of time before they release the update for your standard DX18...but I'm happy with my XG11.

On a side note, I can see this being a collector's item in the future. If I had the spare loot lying around, I would have one on preorder.

Quique Somenzini is not just some other guy who flies planes like the rest of us either. Let's not be rash or just plain insane. I highly doubt many on here can fly like he does. If you can, I haven't seen your name on a radio. It's ok to dislike the radio because it wasn't something you wanted (plane, gyro system). Why hate on QQ? Very childish...
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Last edited by ElIntocable; Nov 15, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,590 Posts
I still think horizon needs to have QQ come out with a 3D balsa airplane lineup. Maybe something in the 48''-60'' size range like an extra or slick. I think it would sell big, but I wonder if horizon will ever do that.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I still think horizon needs to have QQ come out with a 3D balsa airplane lineup. Maybe something in the 48''-60'' size range like an extra or slick. I think it would sell big, but I wonder if horizon will ever do that.
That would be awesome!
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable