HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DJO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:49 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,429 Posts
Alert
EPIC PopWing FPV Flying - Over Soccer Game!

Episode 21: EPIC PopWing FPV Flying - Over Soccer Game! (3 min 27 sec)

Episode 21 of the FPV PROJECT!

It was SUPER windy out for this little plane too!

ENJOY + SUBSCRIBE!!!!! These flights were recorded with my new keychain cam

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Penguin FPV!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:04 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,041 Posts
Cool video.

However, I would like to ask you to rethink the wisdom of flying FPV over other people.

I don't think it is a good idea, even with a rear mounted prop held on by an o-ring.

Have fun but take care.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:07 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,429 Posts
I made sure to fly high and in fact I didn't know that there were that many people - my FPV cam didn't really see all of them. And the prop isn't held on by an o-ring.

As you can see I mainly flew over the baseball fields. All flights were conducted LOS and with proper gear. I'm not an idiot who buzzed those players. In fact, I've seen much worse on YouTube.

I think I did pretty good, I only flew over the people about 3 times the entire hour that I was flying. And I didn't get lower than maybe 50 feet? IDK, but I know that people have done much worse.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,041 Posts
DJO,

I flew a wing over a neighborhood once (not FPV). Had an RF problem (2.4 GHz.) lost control. Fortunately, it landed in a yard.

Stuff happens, eventually.

You might want to try the o-ring trick...look through the crash test hobbies widowmaker thread to see what some people do. That way, in the event of an accident, you might not hurt somebody as badly
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:51 AM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,429 Posts
If I lost control over the players I could have easily guided it back as I had a spotter and that was only like 500 feet away. If you don't trust your video equipment then you shouldn't fly. I fully trust my equipment and its not cheap!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,041 Posts
You cannot guide a remote control plane that you have no or limited control over. This is not a question of skill.

The cost of an electrical or electro-mechanical piece of equipment is not the only factor that affects equipment failure or S/N ratio.

What radio are you using to control the plane? What servos?

Don't take this as an indictment of your skills or your willingness to buy excellent equipment.

In my crash mentioned above, when I recovered the plane (a plane specifically marketed to survive crashes), there was nothing wrong. The crash was caused by flying in a crowded RF environment. The plane flew the next day without replacing any servos or receivers, and flew a hundred more flights before the EPP started getting too soft.

Do you have a spectrum analyzer to scan the control and video frequency bands you use before each flight? Do you have return to home programmed in to an OSD or similar unit in the event the RSSI goes too low? Do you know what your ESC powering your receiver will do if one of your servos bind? Do you inspect every servo gear tooth under a loupe before each flight?

Sure, this is all very unlikely for a particular pilot on a particular day, but if we end up with 1000 FPV pilots flying over populated areas around the country throughout the year, at some point one of them is going to cause a newsworthy injury ("if it bleeds it leads") to some toddler innocently watching his brother play soccer, and the RC hobby will be regulated more, probably over regulated in knee jerk fashion.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:29 AM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,429 Posts
Ummm, OK. I don't know why you're picking on me when there's about 945 other things that you could be doing. I'm guessing that the only reason that you really are getting angry is because I'm a kid and kids don't understand anything apparently. You know how many people flying with a HAM license every single day?

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,041 Posts
I'm not picking on you and I am not angry. I am just sharing my thoughts and trying to help.

It was a cool video and you should be proud of your achievments. Feel free to delete the posts, it's your blog, you can do that.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:39 AM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,429 Posts
Alright that's fine. I do understand your concern and points, and they lead me to avoiding flying over the soccer practice going on this morning.

Dan
RCG Plus Member