HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2001, 04:54 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
How to tell new gws 9x7" from old?

My title is pretty complete.
Tried some 9x7's today on my tumblewatt, definately old. Every landing a broken prop.

Shame too as they really fly that plane very nicely.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2001, 05:35 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
soon all the old ones will be broken
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Nov 17, 2001, 10:11 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
APC 9x6 Slowflyer prop works great and doesn't break.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Nov 18, 2001, 02:35 PM
Central Texas
Joined Nov 2001
107 Posts
Have you tried soaking them in hot water? I know some props, ie. Graupner wide blades) need to be soaked for an hour about once a month or they become very brittle and will snap easily with very little pressure.

Just a thought....
marauder is offline Find More Posts by marauder
Old Nov 18, 2001, 03:07 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Know somewhere that has the APC 9x6's in stock?
I've emailed a couple online stores and checked my LHS, no 9x6(local store had alot of every other size APC props though)

I must have the new 9x7, cuz I just came in from doing a nose dive from an altitude that I could barely see the TM, then did a quick snap to try and pull some fast loops. Well, SNAP was right... wings folded. BUT, it sorta landed ok, but what was amazing was the prop made it. My "normal" soft grass landings usually snap 'em right off.
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Nov 18, 2001, 04:00 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
marauder,

You've got something there. People have been boiling Nylon props for years. I boiled the blades on my Terry props since they're not geared and spin fast. I hung them from fishing line and a cross piece so they wouldn't touch the bottom of the vessel which I figured would be hotter than 100 deg C.

I tried it on an orange GWS prop. Luckily I tested only one because it softened and warped. If you found out the temperature that was just below softening it might work. Kind of an annealing. Might not have the full effect though since it's Nylon that benefits most. It needs water incorporated in it's structure. I don't know what the GWS props are made of, but it doesn't seem like Nylon.

Funny, I've never broken a prop on my Moth though I've smashed the cowl twice due to glitches. That was with a 10" prop, but i still don't know how I did it without breaking the prop. I've flown a 9" since then and it was ok, but I fly off Macadam. I guess it's the grass that gets ya.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Nov 18, 2001, 04:47 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Sorry inform you can not easy to see the different, only near the root section was made thicker. We did make any mark to identify.

Sorry to cause your inconvenience. I thought safety is very important, but......
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:51 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaninMilwaukee
My title is pretty complete.
Tried some 9x7's today on my tumblewatt, definately old. Every landing a broken prop.

Shame too as they really fly that plane very nicely.
Have you tried the GWS 9 x 7.5 HD propeller. Their shape makes the hub stronger so they are a lot harder to break.

Photo No 1 is an unused propeller and photo No 2 is a propeller currently in service.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Aug 31, 2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:59 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Hey Ken, what prompted you to reply to a thread that's nearly six years old? Just curious ...
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Aug 31, 2007, 04:17 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Deleted because it was a Double Post

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Aug 31, 2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 04:22 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I did not look at the thread date but just looked at the list of similar threads that is posted at the bottom of threads. The thread I had been reading was "New GWS Announcement/Tracking thread" and the post I was reading in that thread was dated today. I had assumed that the threads on this list of similar threads were current threads. In future I will look at the date of threads on this list.

Ken
Old Aug 31, 2007, 06:01 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
's OK - I was just a bit amused - though Dean does still haunt these environs some and may well want to try the 9x7.5 HD in place of the 9x7 RS.

I've noted down in the forum comments forum (is that redundant?) that many of the "similar threads" displayed in that new feature are quite old. No idea what criteria are used to define "similar" but clearly being recent isn't one of them.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC