HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:10 AM
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Discussion
Proctor Antic

I recently came across a old, but good condition, Proctor Antic (the 60 size) and want to convert it to electric. As I got it cheap and it's not perfect, I'd like to not spend too much on the motor. Any recomendations for a good but cheap motor for this size plane?
cedarville is online now Find More Posts by cedarville
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:36 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,959 Posts
From previous experience with an Antic I'd go to 5S unless for some reason it is as heavy as lead. A modification to the inside of the fuselage is required to fit the pack and you should be looking there at 4000mAh or over. but you do need to get the bulk of that weight forward of the CG.

As for cheap well purchase a suitable 50mm diam motor from Hobby City with about 500kv.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:08 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,163 Posts
I used to fly an antic back in the early nineties with the original OS 60 four stroke.
it turned a 12/6 prop around 9500 and flew very scale like.
Sooooo...
If you want slow and gentle get a motor that turns likewise.
I've seen two antics lose a wing while stunting, so be sure to solder your rigging crimp tubes good and solid.

Also even with that motor I had to bolt a 6 oz lead weight under the motor mount to get her to balance.
A good sized lipo rubberbanded where the tank mounts should do you well for balance.

Good luck, here's some inspiration
Nick
taildragger1589 is online now Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bitty Stampe
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:33 AM
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarville View Post
I recently came across a old, but good condition, Proctor Antic (the 60 size) and want to convert it to electric. As I got it cheap and it's not perfect, I'd like to not spend too much on the motor. Any recomendations for a good but cheap motor for this size plane?
I used an Axi 4120/18 driving a 6S pack back in 2007, now I'd go with a Rimfire 50-55-500 and a 60A ESC.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771683
steve crewdog is offline Find More Posts by steve crewdog
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:46 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Man...
Who the heck unloads a Proctor Antic, cheap?
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:51 PM
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
(re)maidened the 30-40 year old Proctor Antic

Sunday I (re)maidened the 30-40 year old Proctor Antic. I picked the plane up at an auction, just the airframe, and converted it from gas to electric.

Now that I know that it will really fly again, although I had little doubt, I'll now build a proper fake engine and cover and possibly recover it. I really don't like the transparent yellow Monocote, but it is pretty in the air.

Common Sense RC E60-3 Brushless Outrunner Motor
60 amp ESC
6s

I replaced the older gas motor mount with a longer box nose. With the motor and the battery it balanced perfectly!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:50 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,163 Posts
That looks really nice!
Haven't seen a fresh antic in a while.
what size prop are you using?
If you're looking for the linen look like the pics in post 3, stain your ribs with mahogany or cherry stain and cover it with natural solartex. It's not painted but the weave is filled and fuel proof.

Nick
taildragger1589 is online now Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bitty Stampe
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:39 PM
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
18" APC-E and way over powered. I've never had it over 1/2 throttle.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 02:58 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,767 Posts
wow , I just noticed how much this plane looks like the Hobby People Blue Max (original orange version ) ,
Yes I know the hobby people version is classless vs Procter , but the kit outline was obviously based on this plane . To bad they boogered it up with orange covering but after seeing this thread it may be worth the conversion
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm