SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:01 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Lol... why do people keep bringing that up? Clearly, if you read what I posted, I'm more than familiar with the concept of MAP agreements. I just don't believe for a second that is what HK is doing. But really, as I just said above:
Quote:
Regardless. I'd like to halt the discussion on "why"
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:11 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I just don't believe for a second that is what HK is doing. But really, as I just said above:
At the risk of offending - just because you don't believe it, does not make it true

It is not a mistake, or a up. It is MAP rearing its head on the more "brand name" items that HK sells, like Eagle Tree stuff and inoLabs servos.

But good luck with your code, If it has to put everything in a cart to get the real price I am sure HK's servers will be busy
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:38 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Pat... as I said earlier, I'm throttling the execution so HK's servers won't even notice it.

And you're right, my not believing it doesn't make it true... doesn't that statement work both ways? Your believe it also doesn't make it true.

I'll re-hash it once more: If it were items such as Eagle Tree, etc it might make sense. But even then, the best evidence that it has anything to do with a MAP agreement... is if they let their customers know. I think that's pretty proof positive that its a mistake, and not MAP. If its not a mistake, then its just insane that they wouldn't do what Amazon (etc etc etc) does and INFORM their customers.

Just look at it logically. Forget anyone's preconceived notions of agreements, etc. Customer Joe comes to the site and sees a product and a price. That price is critical. If its too high, he moves on. No bloody way he's going to add it to a cart in the hopes it might magically be reduced (unless he's informed that could happen, which he's not). *IF* he's happy with the higher price and is inclined to add the item to his cart, then its just plain stupid of the merchant to take less at that point - you've already hooked him at the higher price.

So its pretty iron clad. If its MAP, then they would tell the customer. If its not MAP, then its a mistake. They aren't telling the customer... therefore...

I really REALLY can't understand why so many people are harping on this anyway. Its not even the point..as I've now... said.... THREE... times.

So nevermind... I made the script for my own curiosity and to make a better informed purchasing decision with the information that HK is (deliberately/mistakenly - you choose) withholding. I was going to post the results, but clearly its going to continue to get derailed, so I'll just leave it to my own use.

I'll update the first post to reflect the true cart-pricing "best and worst" and that's it. The rest of the chart I'll just keep local.

Thanks for your input.

- Steven
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:01 PM
Heli nut
Australia, WA, Wembley Downs
Joined May 2005
434 Posts
Have you crashed the HK servers?
Trexmad is offline Find More Posts by Trexmad
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:17 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
That wasn't me My script stopped running last night. It was the equiv of one extra shopper clicking a link every 30 seconds... hardly a DOA attack

It took a long time to complete, but I got my data I've found some really good deals. I'll update the first post to reflect the best and worst after considering in-cart pricing.

- Steven
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:22 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
OK, first post modified as promised.

Another oddity... weights.

Buy this prop at the US warehouse and not only are you paying 41.4% more for it, but it magically weights 100 grams more as well!

Don't find that interesting? Could just be a simple typo? Ok, how about this one:

You pay an extra $10.80 (20%) for the item, presumably for shipping costs from China to the US... and along the way it manages to gain 439g of weight!

OK, I guess there's an explanation for this... though again, I'll contend that it comes down to coding deficiencies - but this time its deliberate rather than mistake. As most will have noticed, HK forces some products to be purchased along with a "Box", which doesn't add cost, but adds (usually an infuriating amount of) weight. The reason is, presumably, because the "bulk" of the item is such that the shipping costs are volumetric based... ie. you're paying to ship the size, not the weight, of the item. HK is horribly inconsistent with this scheme though. Some items have the box, others don't - they just add the volumetric weight to the item. It appears that's what they've done with all US products. They build the "box" weight right in. The problem with that, for those that think carefully about these sorts of things, is that you're now charged for multiple "boxes" whereas they coded it the same as their International warehouse, you'd only be charged the "Box" once.

Again, I'm not knocking HK... they're doing the best they can with an odd situation. I just find it all interesting.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:49 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,007 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you count how many items they have for sale? I know they have about 700 planes alone on the website.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:08 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Yes: 1518
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:26 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,007 Posts
OK, I think we've had a miscommunication.
I was thinking about the total items HK has in inventory and I assume 1518 is the number of items you looked at. I mistakenly thought you were looking at all the stock.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:55 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Yes, that is all of the items HK has in inventory... at their US warehouse... which is the whole point of this thread (its right in the title). Those compared with their exact counterparts, where available (which is > 95%), at the International warehouse. No, it doesn't include the (presumably) thousands of items they have at their International warehouse that aren't also in the US one.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Dec 2009
42 Posts
Quote:
OK, first post modified as promised.

Another oddity... weights.

Buy this prop at the US warehouse and not only are you paying 41.4% more for it, but it magically weights 100 grams more as well!

Don't find that interesting? Could just be a simple typo? Ok, how about this one:
If you add this prop to your cart in international is adds a 379Gram box.. so 461grams for this prop from international warehouse or 180grams from USA.
Phroz is offline Find More Posts by Phroz
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:42 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
OK, I guess there's an explanation for this... though again, I'll contend that it comes down to coding deficiencies - but this time its deliberate rather than mistake. As most will have noticed, HK forces some products to be purchased along with a "Box", which doesn't add cost, but adds (usually an infuriating amount of) weight. The reason is, presumably, because the "bulk" of the item is such that the shipping costs are volumetric based... ie. you're paying to ship the size, not the weight, of the item. HK is horribly inconsistent with this scheme though. Some items have the box, others don't - they just add the volumetric weight to the item. It appears that's what they've done with all US products. They build the "box" weight right in. The problem with that, for those that think carefully about these sorts of things, is that you're now charged for multiple "boxes" whereas they coded it the same as their International warehouse, you'd only be charged the "Box" once.
I already explained that. Now, what if you want 10 of them? 1199 International vs 1800 US. Not that any of it matters... its VERY complicated getting that kind of stuff "right".
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:55 AM
Heli nut
Australia, WA, Wembley Downs
Joined May 2005
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroz View Post
If you add this prop to your cart in international is adds a 379Gram box.. so 461grams for this prop from international warehouse or 180grams from USA.
Good catch!
Trexmad is offline Find More Posts by Trexmad