HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2006
781 Posts
unless they are directing their CS calls to china, Traxxas will have to either train or hire more CS for these helis. That takes money. This warranty is going to cost them money also. So this mark up may see high to those who buy over seas for $45 but in reality it isn't that high IMO.

Personally, i have a Walkera Ladybird and enjoy it. Seeing what the cost of shipping for parts from overseas, I'm all for trx having a quad that i can get support from at my LHS. $100 for a quad is not that bad with 2 lipos. I get to enjoy another RC and i get to help feed the owners daughter when i buy things at his store.

I do wish it would bind with my Devo though LOL
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:45 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
This makes very good sense for Traxxas. Their only direct competition is HH with the MQx. It's obvious they are attempting to expand their product line and market; look at the X01 and Force funny cars. There just isn't anywhere else to go with ground vehicles other than tanks or motorcycles, neither of which is much of a market. I have several Traxxas models and they are very durable and reliable, easy to get parts for at your LHS and have a very good aftermarket. Even If I need parts the LHS doesn't stock, they can get them for me within two days. I'm more than willing to pay a premium for this kind of convenience and service and so are many others.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:29 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,279 Posts
So what's the new feature of the QR-1? There is already a '6-axis' v939-sized quad, the mini-pet, that has been well received, and it's around (or less than) $50 shipped.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:06 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
^ it looks better? lol and is slightly smaller I believe

a hubsan x4 that you can get parts and support for at your LHS. if only the radio wasn't proprietary
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:45 PM
MotoGP
United States, NY, Port Washington
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
a hubsan x4 that you can get parts and support for at your LHS. if only the radio wasn't proprietary
Amen to that...
RD6000S is offline Find More Posts by RD6000S
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:59 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,720 Posts
I wonder if what we're seeing is a Chinese clone that made it to market before the real product did???

The design of the this quad is very Traxxas like.
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:02 AM
Joined Dec 2010
145 Posts
I think Hubsan was intending to sell mainly to the domestic (China) market, but got a sweet deal when Traxxas offered to sell it under their brand, as long as Traxxas had exclusive rights. Usually Chinese vendors are willing to give exclusive rights as long as it is limited to a region, such as USA only. But Traxxas is such a big player that they probably got their way and Hubsan agreed to withdraw the X4 from the market. Of course this is all conjecture, but it explains Hubsan's recent actions.
Farad is offline Find More Posts by Farad
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:55 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
6-Axis

I thought only the Chinese mistakenly call their quads "6-axis". Traxxas QR-1 is also 6-Axis!

Six-Axis Stabilization
Sophisticated circuitry, piezoelectric gyros, and accelerometers give the QR-1 outstanding stability. Each time you power-on the QR-1, its smart software calibrates the model for stable flight. Take your hands off the sticks, and the QR-1 returns to a solid and steady hover.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Mar 2006
781 Posts
i wonder if i can throw my Ladybird elects in it LOL.

I do like the body design. I personally will have one.
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I thought only the Chinese mistakenly call their quads "6-axis". Traxxas QR-1 is also 6-Axis!

Six-Axis Stabilization
Sophisticated circuitry, piezoelectric gyros, and accelerometers give the QR-1 outstanding stability. Each time you power-on the QR-1, its smart software calibrates the model for stable flight. Take your hands off the sticks, and the QR-1 returns to a solid and steady hover.
Well six axis stabilization is at least more accurate than 6 axis gyro. It does stabilize in 6 ways, but does nit use a gyro that must include space time as one axis

Plus, being sold by traxxas makes it no less a Chinese product
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
While I'm no physicist, I know there are only 3 axes in our world. It doesn't matter if it is 6-axis stabilization, 6-axis gyro, or 6-axis roses-are-red-violets-are-blue - there are only 3 axes in this world.

I don't know how you arrive at the conclusion that 6-axis equates to "stabilize in 6 ways". but in my humble dictionary, axis does not mean "in number of ways".

Even if you consider "time" as the 4th dimension, the remaining 2 dimensions are missing. And we all know in terms of toy quads, what the additional 3 axes are. The time dimension is never part of 6-axis.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,279 Posts
And all this time I thought '6-axis' refers to the 'axis of evil' made famous by George W. Bush.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
It is actually the Axis: Bold As Love from the second Jimi Hendrix album.

These Hendrix noobs pay big money for the Gold pressing CDs then expect to be automatically Experienced!
Deathspiral13 is offline Find More Posts by Deathspiral13
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
It's 6 axis, just that they are the same 3 axes x2.

No different from 42mpg vs 97mpgE with cars.
recharged95 is offline Find More Posts by recharged95
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by recharged95 View Post
It's 6 axis, just that they are the same 3 axes x2.

No different from 42mpg vs 97mpgE with cars.
6 axis is a misnomer most likely due to language translation.

My understanding is that 6 'axis' = 3 axis gyro + 3 axis accelerometer.

A 3 axis quad and a 6 'axis' quad handle quite differently. The 6 'axis' self stabilizes into a hover somewhat like a fixed pitch heli with flybar.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo