HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:02 PM
MotoGP
United States, NY, Port Washington
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
Discussion
Traxxas qr-1

Look what I found today from Big Squid RC!

I bet you didn’t see this coming! Traxxas is now getting into the air market! It’s called the Traxxas QR-1 High Performance Quad-Rotor Helicopter! Street price is about $60 (WOW!) and comes without a radio. With Radio is just over $100. Another thing new for them. Since when is it not RTR? Wow, Traxxas quadcopter, we never would of guessed. More info as we get it in.

UPDATE: More info and more pictures!
We now have pictures of what will come with the RTF versions.
It has a 2.4Ghz 4-Channel Transmitter, two 3.7 240 mah packs, and a dual lipo charger.
There are blue LED’s on the front so you can tell what direction you are flying in.
With the 6-Axis Stabilzation, you can even Flip and Roll it according to Traxxas in Expert Mode! Wowza!
Official specs:
• Quad-rotor thrust with digital 6-axis stabilization
• Quickly master stable hovering and flight in Normal mode
• Perform flips, snap rolls, and banking turns in Expert mode
• Customizable modes let you choose your own settings
• Two blue LEDs light the way
• Includes two high-capacity LiPo batteries
• USB-powered dual-battery charger
• 2.4GHz Transmitter eliminates frequency conflicts
• LCD transmitter display keeps you informed
• Available in red, blue, orange, and green

RD6000S is offline Find More Posts by RD6000S
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:26 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,795 Posts
Gee, I wonder what that looks like.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:31 PM
MotoGP
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
I want to see a breakdown of all the parts

What 6-asis control board?
What 2.4 frequency is it compatible with? since they have a receiver-less model
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:00 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,562 Posts
My oh my they keep coming !! Husban X-4 that sells for $40.00 from Bang good but USA gets stiffed.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Nov 21, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:00 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,621 Posts
my understanding is they will have a rtf and a bnf and the bnf will work with the same tx as there new heli that is being released. so if you dont have the heli you need the rtf model.
I got to work today and read this in the email from our dist. and i must say i am excited to see what they did.so now comes the wait to see if they live up to there claims.

and the rtf looks to be pretty cheap
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCZHK**&P=7
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:03 PM
MotoGP
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
The good thing about this quad (if it performs good) is the parts availability from Traxxas will be great and you will find them at all LHS...
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:07 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,174 Posts
I wonder since it is pretty much the same as the hubsan x4, if the X4 radio will work with it.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD6000S View Post
The good thing about this quad (if it performs good) is the parts availability from Traxxas will be great and you will find them at all LHS...
Well, either all of Hubsan's parts are going to Traxxas, or Traxxas has done a role-reversal, and Hubsan wasn't lying when they said someone in the US was cloning their design.

My inquiries to Hubsan stated that lead time was 15-20 days after payment was made.

$60 without radio? 100$ with radio? The original can be had for ~$45 shipped complete.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:41 PM
MotoGP
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Well, either all of Hubsan's parts are going to Traxxas, or Traxxas has done a role-reversal, and Hubsan wasn't lying when they said someone in the US was cloning their design.

My inquiries to Hubsan stated that lead time was 15-20 days after payment was made.

$60 without radio? 100$ with radio? The original can be had for ~$45 shipped complete.
MassiveOverkill - You are correct it looks like they cloned the Hubsan's Quad. I was not familiar with this Quad as I am new to Quad's.

15-20 days is an eternity to wait for parts imho, so the upside is having parts available in the us for this model Quad....
Last edited by RD6000S; Nov 02, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: adding words
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
my understanding is they will have a rtf and a bnf and the bnf will work with the same tx as there new heli that is being released. so if you dont have the heli you need the rtf model.
I got to work today and read this in the email from our dist. and i must say i am excited to see what they did.so now comes the wait to see if they live up to there claims.

and the rtf looks to be pretty cheap
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCZHK**&P=7
Wait, a clone of a $40 quad that costs $100 is cheap? I have some things I would like to sell you, got a perfectly good non storm damaged bridge in Brooklyn, I can cut you a real good deal of -100% off. Pretty much same deal you're getting here.

A fool and his money...
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:28 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
MassiveOverkill - You are correct it looks like they cloned the Hubsan's Quad. I was not familiar with this Quad as I am new to Quad's.

15-20 days is an eternity to wait for parts imho, so the upside is having parts available in the us for this model Quad....
There are plenty of much much cheaper quads with local parts availability, especially since they all pretty much use the same parts, or parts that are compatible with each other.

I don't really understand, traxxas took over the car/truck market by providing a slightly lower quality product at a much lower price than say tamiya or rc10. Now they are jumping into a new market by offering the exact same designs at a much higher price than their competitors.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:36 PM
MotoGP
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
People who already have this quad can chime in on if they like the idea of having the at their LHS. I would order it from Hubsan if it is $45 shipped that is a steal!

If the Hubsan parts are cheaper with the shipping then people can continue to order from them. As stated before I am not to familiar with this Quad but it looks cool...
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,795 Posts
Quote:
People who already have this quad can chime in on if they like the idea of having the at their LHS. I would order it from Hubsan if it is $45 shipped that is a steal!

If the Hubsan parts are cheaper with the shipping then people can continue to order from them. As stated before I am not to familiar with this Quad but it looks cool...
The question that remains is this:

Is Traxxas buying Hubsan X4's and rebranding it as their own, or are have they cloned it and producing the parts themselves?

If Traxxas is simply rebranding, then they could be the reason why Hubsan is struggling to keep up with production, and if they're rebranding but not the reason why Hubsan is struggling to keep up with production, then you're going to see OOS at Traxxas just as you would at all the other outfits selling the X4.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:48 PM
MotoGP
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
Good question - knowing Traxxas from the car side it would be a total departure for them not to have great parts support for one of their products cloned or not.

So I suspect that they are making the parts, buying Hubsan not sure???
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
It binds automatically, plus once you trash it the next one is half price, if that's any consolation.
Deathspiral13 is offline Find More Posts by Deathspiral13