HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:50 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
71 Posts
Question
Cellpro Multi4 and NiZn batteries?

the CCS claims in the Help->About that NiZn is now supported: "Version 2.19 (9-21-10) - Added Nickle Zinc chemistry." I have firmware version 1.67 installed.
I can't find any presets for this chemistry, does anybody know to set this up?
thanks
ingo
idonasch is online now Find More Posts by idonasch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:15 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idonasch View Post
the CCS claims in the Help->About that NiZn is now supported: "Version 2.19 (9-21-10) - Added Nickle Zinc chemistry." I have firmware version 1.67 installed.
I can't find any presets for this chemistry, does anybody know to set this up?
thanks
ingo
Hi:

Here's what you need to do.

1) Connect the charger up to the PC using the PC USB interface and power the charger with a power supply or battery.
2) Launch the Charge Control Software
3) Confirm you see "Waiting to Start" at the top of the program window
4) Click on an empty user preset or a user preset you don't mind overwriting.
5) Do File > FMA Library Presets > Open File to Preset #
6) Navigate to the NiZn folder, and double-click the preset to open it into the current user preset slot you have highlighted.

Did this work for you?

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:19 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
71 Posts
Multi4 with NiZn -> bad cell count

Thanks, I missed the point to load the settings from the file menu. I was just looking in the presets drop-down section.

since my pack does not have balancing taps, I turned balancing off and also tried to set the cell count to 3 or auto. all I get is a "bad cell count error". do I have to add taps or is there something else I missed? (bat has 5.3V)

thanks again in advance
ingo
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:06 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I missed the point to load the settings from the file menu. I was just looking in the presets drop-down section.

since my pack does not have balancing taps, I turned balancing off and also tried to set the cell count to 3 or auto. all I get is a "bad cell count error". do I have to add taps or is there something else I missed? (bat has 5.3V)

thanks again in advance
ingo
Hi:

Turning off the balancers in the preset does not preclude the charger from running the normal safety check which is to verify that the sum of the individual cell voltages equals the total. It knows that the pack is < 2s which is the maximum number of cells of this chemistry that the charger will charge unbalanced. Yes, if you want to use the Multi4, you will need to install a balance connector to the pack(s). This one:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...-10-5-Position

If you need to know how to wire it up, use this document and find the diagram for the configuration which matches the cell count of your battery pack:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1315.pdf

Tim Marks
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:49 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
71 Posts
thanks for the quick response, I added taps and it is now charging!
is there a reason why I can't show the single cell voltage screen? The ccs gives me an error if I try? all I have is the lowest cell screen. no big deal, I'm just curios.
ingo
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:30 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the quick response, I added taps and it is now charging!
is there a reason why I can't show the single cell voltage screen? The ccs gives me an error if I try? all I have is the lowest cell screen. no big deal, I'm just curios.
ingo
Hi:

Not sure what you mean. Can you illustrate with a screen capture or something?

Tim Marks
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:38 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Not sure what you mean. Can you illustrate with a screen capture or something?

Tim Marks
the 2 screens I selected (red box) are rejected by the program. if I hide these screen the charger works fine.
I had an unbalanced NiZn pack and would have liked to check the single cell voltages as I do with LiPo packs. since I added taps to the pack I was able to charge all cells one by one and the pack is now properly balanced but I don't understand why I can't use this screen feature with NiZn packs but on LiPo's?
I hope the screen shots clarified what I meant.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
the 2 screens I selected (red box) are rejected by the program. if I hide these screen the charger works fine.
I had an unbalanced NiZn pack and would have liked to check the single cell voltages as I do with LiPo packs. since I added taps to the pack I was able to charge all cells one by one and the pack is now properly balanced but I don't understand why I can't use this screen feature with NiZn packs but on LiPo's?
I hope the screen shots clarified what I meant.
Hi:

Not sure about that one. Why don't you go back to the default preset from the library that has balancing now that you have the balance connector added to you pack. I don't think you should get that error then??

Tim Marks