HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:05 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
s033g -27mhz to 2.4ghz

Hi dwtriac23,

drambuidhe and I have used a pcb from a DH9118 and it works, But the power is down about 10% from the stock 7.4v s033G. I've ordered a s33 pcb and when it gets here, I'll put in my s033G and see if the power comes back up to normal.

How's your s033 doing, Is it still glitching? Did you ever try a higher "C" rated battery in yours? xHeli has the s033 back in stock, So I ordered another one. I got one with the black and red canopy, As they didn't have the yellow one in stock.

My s033 continues to be rock solid, I'm hoping the new one will be the same.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:13 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
s033G-27MHz to 2.4GHz

Hi drambuidhe,

Are you still in the land of Oz? Getting any flying time on the s033G? I was able to get out today and get some flying in with the s033G. The conversion is still doing well, no more glitches since I turned the pcb 90%.(It's in the original position as it is on the DH9118) The power is still the same.

I check the pcb, motors and battery after I land and everything is running cool to the touch. I took it out farther today, also went higher and everything stayed solid. I ordered a s33 pcb, But I haven't heard anything from the seller, I don't know if they are still celebrating new years or not. If, or when it gets here, I'll put it in the s033G and see if that makes a difference in the power. I was quite surprised at the price of the s33 pcb, it was under $18.00.

xHeli has the s33 back in stock, So I ordered one, I hope it's as rock solid as the one I have.

I filmed the s033G flying today, (I remembered to check the camera and make sure that it was on the external memory card) it was sunny out and the wind was calm, the yellow s033G kind of gets lost in the sun, but is visable for the most part.

J

Syma s033G With DH9118 PCB (6 min 10 sec)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
767 Posts
27-2.4

Hi Jim, I've now hopped over to NZ to visit my other son.Like OZ though it's hot and windy most days so not getting much flying in unfortunately. I have found an excellent model shop(watts hobbies) in Hawksbay here and they sell HZ parts cheaper than at home ,so I've just treated myself to a float kit for the cub. There's plenty of water here so looking forward to trying them IF we ever have a calm day!!I can't get any Syma spares here so can't replace the idler gear on the s033g yetLiked your video, all seems to work ok and your location looks great too!If yours33 pcb gives your power back I will have to see about doing the same however the heli at home will be over $150 so dread to think what the spares will cost
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:38 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
s033G-27MHz to 2.4GHz

Hi drambuidhe,
That's a shame about the weather there, You do know that if you had left your helis at home the weather would have been, calm winds and mild temps

I think that I told you that I have a 3D plane on floats, It's over at our fishing cabin in Eastern Wa. We go over twice a year, first to open the cabin in the spring and get a little fishing in, and then again in the Fall to close the cabin for the Winter and to get some more fishing in.

I also have a Hanger 9 Saratoga, that can be setup for floats, But since Horizon Hobby wants $150.00 for a set, I haven't went ahead with the purchase, I keep hoping that I can find a used set on the forum, that's still in good shape for less money.

I would think that the price of the Syma line of Heli's and spare parts would be about the same as it is here, But evidently that's not the case.

The idler gear set that you need for your s033G is 0.79 at xHeli, but they are out of stock at this time. I also went to xHeli's forum here on RCG's and asked them when they would have the s33 and spare parts for it in stock, I found out that the s33 was back in stock and Raiden Charlie, who answered my questioon didn't know when they would have spare parts in stock for the S33, But would make a separate page for them when they were in stock on their website.

Hope you are able to get in some more flying with your SC and Heli's before you have to head back home. We are currently in a High Pressure system here, But according to the weather forecaster that is going to be changing soon. So as low pressure builds in, So ends my outdoor flying.

J
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:29 PM
United Kingdom, Watton
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Hi drambuidhe and Jim,
I have been following this forum with great interest and have had a PM conversation with drambuidhe. I am finally getting around to purchasing a S33G 2.4Ghz, I currently have some S107s and a S800g. The S33 is not available here in the UK as drambuidhe knows, so I have sourced a couple of suppliers in the USA One is Syma at http://www.symahelicopters.com/Syma-...mas33g-red.htm and the other is Xheli. Both are around the same price about $50 for the helicopter and another $40-$50 for the postage to here in the UK. I have the following queries:

1. Do either of you have an positive or negative views on either of these companies, I did also look at RC Fever in China but have seen some bad comments on them.
2. Both companies only supply 110V chargers, drambuidhe can you point me to a suitable 240v charger that I can source in the UK, perferably one that can charge more than one battery at a time.
3. Still on batteries, Jim you mention a battery mod that you have done, can you supply me some more info and also a description/link to the type of battery. I want to be able to swap the batteries out in the field to increase the flying time. drambuidhe not sure if you are aware of any UK availability for these type of batteries.
4. I believe that the only difference between the S033g and the S33G is the radio equipment. That being the case I assume that the other spares are compatible? Again a source for these that are available for the UK would be useful.

I have been intruigued by the amount of dedication that you guys have and the skill level both in flying and also doing modifications to the machines. Do you have any views as to progressing from Co-Ax to either FP or CP, not sure if either of you have these alternatives but would be interested in your views.

Thank you for some entertaining reading and great videos and also for you help with the above.

Michael
jiffle is offline Find More Posts by jiffle
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:58 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffle View Post
Hi drambuidhe and Jim,
I have been following this forum with great interest and have had a PM conversation with drambuidhe. I am finally getting around to purchasing a S33G 2.4Ghz, I currently have some S107s and a S800g. The S33 is not available here in the UK as drambuidhe knows, so I have sourced a couple of suppliers in the USA One is Syma at http://www.symahelicopters.com/Syma-...mas33g-red.htm and the other is Xheli. Both are around the same price about $50 for the helicopter and another $40-$50 for the postage to here in the UK. I have the following queries:

1. Do either of you have an positive or negative views on either of these companies, I did also look at RC Fever in China but have seen some bad comments on them.
2. Both companies only supply 110V chargers, drambuidhe can you point me to a suitable 240v charger that I can source in the UK, perferably one that can charge more than one battery at a time.
3. Still on batteries, Jim you mention a battery mod that you have done, can you supply me some more info and also a description/link to the type of battery. I want to be able to swap the batteries out in the field to increase the flying time. drambuidhe not sure if you are aware of any UK availability for these type of batteries.
4. I believe that the only difference between the S033g and the S33G is the radio equipment. That being the case I assume that the other spares are compatible? Again a source for these that are available for the UK would be useful.

I have been intruigued by the amount of dedication that you guys have and the skill level both in flying and also doing modifications to the machines. Do you have any views as to progressing from Co-Ax to either FP or CP, not sure if either of you have these alternatives but would be interested in your views.

Thank you for some entertaining reading and great videos and also for you help with the above.

Michael
Hi Michael,

I'll try to answer your questions.

(1) Do either of you have an positive or negative views on either of these companies, I did also look at RC Fever in China but have seen some bad comments on them.

(1)Yes, I've dealt with both companys and haven't had any problem with either one, But then I've never had to send anything back to them, So I can't say how good their customer service is.

(3)Still on batteries, Jim you mention a battery mod that you have done, can you supply me some more info and also a description/link to the type of battery. I want to be able to swap the batteries out in the field to increase the flying time.

(3) I'm including some photos of the battery tray mods that I did and also the battery that I replaced the stock batteries with. I purchased my replacement batterys from HobbyKing, (US warehouse) I am using a Zippy 2s 7.4v 20c 1800mAh Lipo in all of my 7.4v heli's. I use a EC3 Connector for mine, But any connector that you want to use would be fine. The stock battery is about a 10 to 12c rating, So I increased the c rating and also the mAh. I set my timer for 5 or 6 min, depending on which heli I'm flying. I try to stay below 80% depletion of the rated mAh of the battery ( 80% of 1800mAh = 1440mAh)

(4) I believe that the only difference between the S033g and the S33G is the radio equipment. That being the case I assume that the other spares are compatible? Again a source for these that are available for the UK would be useful.

(4) I have both the s33 and the s33G and the only difference that I can see between them is the radio freq. Spare parts for the s033G should fit the s33 without any problems and vice versa. I think that Syma just changed over to the 2.4GHz radio, Because the people that bought the s033G were having so many problems with the 27MHz freq.

(5) I have been intruigued by the amount of dedication that you guys have and the skill level both in flying and also doing modifications to the machines. Do you have any views as to progressing from Co-Ax to either FP or CP, not sure if either of you have these alternatives but would be interested in your views.

(5) I have some higher grade multi channel Heli's and My view is that if you think that you would like to get more involved with either the fixed pitch or the collective pitch heli's, then you shouldn't even mess with a 3ch heli. Mainly because a 3ch heli won't do anything to prepare you to fly a more complex heli. If it's an easy to fly, 3ch and you like doing the mods, so that it can be made to fly outdoors, then by all means. go with the 3ch heli's. I mess with them in the Winter, when I can't fly my planes.

After I've flown the 3ch heli's for awhile and then fly my 4+ch heli's, When I go back to flying the 3ch Heli's,I keep trying to use the left stick for rudder, I'm surprised that I haven't broken the stick yet.

Michael, I hope this has been of some help to you.

J
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffle View Post
Hi drambuidhe and Jim,

Michael
Michael,
Regarding item 2. I also own the S33 which came with the 110V charger. However, the charger is rated for 110V to 240V 50/60 cycles. Since it has the US plug, all you need to do do is utilize a plug adapter as needed and the charger can be used.
Sailor107
Sailor107 is offline Find More Posts by Sailor107
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:25 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
767 Posts
s33

Hi Micheal, I have bought many spares for Syma helis from China usually from either feala.com or detelex.com. They normally take around 3 weeks to arrive but are far cheaper than Uk sources I'm sad to admit! I see they have the S33 at a reasonable price now and as far as I know p+p is free. If you want things quicker then spares can be found from UK companies but are at least a third dearer. I'm still using 2250 mah 7.4v vp batteries that Came from China which perform as well as more expensive brands with no problems.They cost around £14 all in. If you're happy using a soldering iron then pick up some 4mm gold bullet connectors from your local model shop and put them on your heli and any batteries you have.As for chargers I'd throw away the cheapy and get a Imax b6 charger ,there's loads on fleabay around£20.You can charge anything with these even your car battery! They can only charge one at a time but a lot quicker and more safely!I use strong velcro to hold my batteries to the underneath of the canopy, this way you can simply adjust their positions to suit the conditions. As for owning cp or fp helis, no not interested.I've mates who went down that route eventually giving up after going broke carrying out repairs.I have started flying planes now which I find quite easy after gaining oriantation(cn't spell) experience from 3 ch heli flying
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
keep um between the tree's
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Feb 2013
1,465 Posts
hi guys im new to the site and rc heli flying.i just ordered my first helis from xheli.i ordered a 3ch s033g and a wl v911 4channel.this looks like the place to be for the 33g.hope to get my virgin flight in early next week i hope ?jim lee i watched your video and it sold me.nice flying by the way.
kildar is offline Find More Posts by kildar
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:28 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
s033G-27MHz to 2.4GHz

Hi kildar,

Thanks for the compliment about my video. You wouldn't think I could fly anything, If you could see my video's, where I'm flying my DH9118's far beyond their capabilities. If I did post them, You would see me flying into a tree going backwards at about 30mph, Or doing the same into the side of the garage. xHeli loves me because of the amount of replacement parts that I've ordered for the DH9118's. I also didn't post the video's of me trying to get my heli out of the tree, not once, but twice. In my defense, I did discover that the tail rotor motor was faulity and I couldn't get the heli to go into forward flight.

The s033G is a easy flying Heli, and is very rugged as I have first hand experience with the amount of punishment it can take and keep on flying. The only things I've managed to break are the landing skids and the blade holders, Both top and Bottom.

One weakness (For lack of a better word) is the 27MHz radio system, Just about everyone I've talked to, (myself included) Has had problems with dropping signal.

The video that you watched was one that I made after I had modified the radio system. I converted the s033G from 27MHz to 2.4GHz, Using a 2.4GHz pcb and Tx from a DH9118 Heli. That cured the signal loss problem.

The 4ch V911 is a totally different beast than the 3ch Coaxial Heli's. It's very quick and responsive. I fly mine indoors and have taken it outside when there isn't any wind in the early morning or evening.

Do you plan on doing the mods on the s033G, so you can fly it outdoors in a light breeze? or are you just going to keep it stock?

Be sure and give us a update, After you get the Heli's and get a chance to fly them.

J
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1,465 Posts
HI jim thanks for the reply.im 55yrs young and a bit of tinkerer so yes on mods after alittle flight time.ups sent me confirmation email should get 33g monday or tues next week.yes i will definantly let all of you know how it went .any tips on first flight would be awsome.i have researched alittle and know to keep it tail in or sideview, to stay away from head in for awhile.i guess i will stay kinda low till i figure out how my signal is going to act?i ordered training wheels with it.so do you suggest i use them or not?i think something may have gone wrong on the orders for v911 no confirmation on it yet.i live in a 25' rv so inside flying is out of the question.i will be doing my flying at loyalty park- sumner washington.big open spot looks perfect for heli flying (thilck grasss) .one more ? for now and il let you go.when i do get the v911 it seems like a very fast heli ,if i put training wheels on if recommended by u guys, will it slow it down enough for a newbie like myself? laters guys
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:37 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
s033G-27MHz to 2.4GHz

kildar,

If you have the training skids for the s033G, I would go ahead and put them on. The heli has enough power to handle the extra weight. It might save you from breaking the landing skids on the heli. One mod that I do before I ever fly a heli, Is to take the screws out of the landing skids, Cut off the little plastic nubbins that position the landing skids to the frame, Then use 4" cable ties, (It takes 2ea for each of the four corners) to hold the landing skid to the frame of the heli. It's easier to replace the cable ties, then try to repair the landing skids. You don't want to use too big of cable tie or it won't break. The landing skid however will..Replacement landing skids for the s033G and s33 are hard to find.

As far as putting training skids on the V911, I don't know how it would react, I didn't use any on mine, But it isn't th first 4ch heli that I've flown. If they are available for the V911, I guess you could give them a try. If you decide that you don't want them on, Then it's easy to remove them.

Sounds like you have a good place to fly. Just a word of caution, These big 3ch heli's can build up some serious speed, when modified, even without a light wind.

You need to be careful when turning as the heli will want to continue in the direction that you were going, Just allow for the extra turning radius that it will take. Make sure that there's no people or animals close to where you're going to fly.

It's a good idea to keep the s033G "Low and Slow" till you get comfortable with the controls and also because of the signal drops that may occure. My S033G didn't start dropping signal until I had flown it 5 or 6 times. Then I couldn't fly it without it dropping signal.

J
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1,465 Posts
hi jim ,

thanks for the skid mod as im sure il be more than alittle rough going into it
i will put training skids on for awhile first, i guess, as you said it will handle extra weight.
im crossing fingers on signal loss but if does happen i will know what is happening instead of trying to figure out what happen ? and scratching bald spot on head .

thought of maybe of making reference stick and marking off 100ft to both sides of it and drive some more survey sticks in .to get an ideal of distance to start with.im going to try and do some figure 8s ,noticed i said try.

anyway thks for the last bit of info.i think im ready .it will either be raining ,windy or dark thirty when im ready to go lol.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:41 AM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
did syma s33 2.4ghz have function of fixed point hovering
shivambansal is offline Find More Posts by shivambansal
Old May 01, 2013, 10:13 AM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
I tried the S033G 27mhz to 2.4 G conversion and got the main rotors spinning and have speed control ( motors spinning faster and slower) but no left or right control (one motor spinning faster then the other) they both just spin at the same speed
Any suggestions?
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23