HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:43 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Hi drambuidhe,

I was able to get The S033G out today for some flight's. My S033G is doing the same as yours. It doesn't have the power that the 27MHz pcb has and I have no idea why that is? It still flys ok, just not with the power that I'm used to. I did get a glitch during flight, but only for a instance and it did it every flight. Only one glitch per flight, But still it's a glitch. It doesn't inspire me to get the Heli up at any considerable distance, Until I know for sure that it won't pull a complete signal loss on me.

It's a mystery to me why the DH9118 2.4GHz pcb in the S033G has a glitch and the pcb's in my DH9118 Heli's are rock solid. Go figure

Sorry to hear about the demise of the SuperCub. Will you get another one,something different, or just stick with flying Heli's?

J
Well at least Jim we have the same outcome.I walked over 200yds away from mine and still had perfect signal so took it up to similiar heights ok. Maybe the ultimate cure is to use an s33 pcb only I'd have to get the transmitter too unlike you.The SC is under going repairs right now so hope will be in the air again tomorrow IF its not too windy this time and if I can straighten the prop!!
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:37 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
Hi drambuidhe,

I've tried to find a hobby outlet that stocks both the s33 and parts for it. The only one I have found was xHeli. They had the s33, But it's on back order. I didn't see any replacement parts listed for the s33.

I'm sure that putting a pcb from a s33 would solve the power problem, But when I went to the Syma website, On their parts list, They don't show a replacement transmitter, But they do show the pcb replacement part. So if one could get a replacement pcb, and didn't already have a s33 Tx, It looks like they would be up a unsanitary tributary without a means of locomotion.

When I go to the Syma website, They just direct you to find a hobby outlet that stocks their products.

I can fly the s033G with the DH9118 pcb, But I've cut back on the time and I don't think it'll do very well in 5 or 6 mph wind.

Good luck with the SuperCub and be very carefull straightening that Prop

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
27 Posts
Can anyone tell me the name of the battery power connector (output power connector) used on the Syma S33? I would like to purchase a few. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sailor107 is offline Find More Posts by Sailor107
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:49 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
Power Connectors

The power connector on the s33 is a JST connector and is red. If it's a Syma s33You have, You can get the connectors at the links I've posted below.

If you have a Syma s033G, The power connector on the s033G is black and I don't know what it's called. I've only seen them used on a few batteries and I don't know where you could get some.

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-23...or-with/Detail

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-23...or-with/Detail

J
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
27 Posts
Power Connectors

Jim Lee,
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. I do have the S33 (however, there is no "G" anywhere either on the heli or the box.) It uses the 2.4Ghz transmitter, new canopy, etc. However, it has that strange black power connector you show on the S033G PCB photo (not the JST connector). The reason I wanted to purchase these connectors was to be able to use one of the more advanced battery chargers available today (instead of the one provided with the S33), but did not want to cut the connectors on the heli. So, if you do run across that connector, do let me know.
Thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated.
Sailor107
Sailor107 is offline Find More Posts by Sailor107
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:05 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
Sailor107,

The black connector is what came on my s33 as well. The older model s033G which uses a 27MHz pcb also comes with the black connector. I showed the JST connector for the 2.4GHz pcb because that's what Syma Shows on their parts list for the s33.

The only other battery pack that I have with the black connector is a Ni-MH battery that is for one of my airplanes that was put out by Wattage mfg.

I'll keep a lookout for that type connector and If I find some, I'll Let you know.

J
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:04 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
s033g -27mhz to 2.4ghz

01/04/2013 Jim Lee Posted

I was able to get The S033G out today for some flight's. My S033G is doing the same as yours. It doesn't have the power that the 27MHz pcb has and I have no idea why that is? It still flys ok, just not with the power that I'm used to. I did get a glitch during flight, but only for a instance and it did it every flight. Only one glitch per flight, But still it's a glitch. It doesn't inspire me to get the Heli up at any considerable distance, Until I know for sure that it won't pull a complete signal loss on me.

It's a mystery to me why the DH9118 2.4GHz pcb in the S033G has a glitch and the pcb's in my DH9118 Heli's are rock solid. Go figure

Sorry to hear about the demise of the SuperCub. Will you get another one,something different, or just stick with flying Heli's?
__________________________________________________ _____________

01/12/2013

I Turned the DH9118 PCB 90 degrees and tried flying it today. The major glitching was gone, But the tail was still twitching occasionally, So I repositioned the Tx Antenna and now it's glitch free.

The power band is still beneath what the original one was, But I can still fly it in light winds. If it will continue to perform in the same mannor, I'll be happy with it.

No more complete signal drops.

J
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:42 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
642 Posts
27-2.4

Hi Jim, well done for improving the glitches. Why moving the pcb helped is beyond me but I'm sure you'll get plenty of range now. I've worn out the idler gear on the top rotor shaft now so am getting slip if I use it hard.I'll have to wait until I'm back home to order since Syma does'nt seem so prominant here.I fixed up the Supercub and have had over 50 flights now. Planes do seem so much easier and cheaper to run!Is the S33 turning out to be a good buy ? I love the s033g its one extremely tough heli and simple to repair. Its the only one I wear out bits on ,not break bits on!! If you could fit quality rc kit in it it would be perfect for me.
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:34 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
27-2.4

Hi drambuidhe,

I've experienced this in some of my RC planes, When doing a range check they wouldn't have the required range and sometimes just by moving the Rx, The range would increase enough to pass a range check.

I think that the DH9118 Rx in the S033G was in the shadow of the battery at certain points during the flight. So I moved the pcb to the orginal position that they are in the DH9118 Heli.The 2.4Ghz radio is more or less a line of sight radio. you fly behind something large enough to block the signal and you could loose control of the model.

Now if we could just figure out why the power is down on the S033G's motors. Both heli's use 7.4v and I've heard that they are both made by the same company, But i don't really know if that's fact or fiction.

I've measured the cans on the DH9118 and the S033G and the S033G has larger motors. It must be something in the way the pcb is set-up in the DH9118. It's like it has a current limiter built into it. I do know that it has a motor overload protection system built into it. That's why we had to solder a jumper across the MOPS wire.

I think that if I could get ahold of a S33 pcb and install it in the S033G, It would bring the power back up to normal, as the only difference that I can se between my S33 and my S033G is the radio system. Hopefully the S33 will be back in stock someday soon.

Good going with the SC, It's a good flying plane. Sounds like you are getting some good stick time on it. Won't be long before you're going to want a serious 3D plane.

J
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Feb 2008
100 Posts
2.4ghz Conversions

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me joining in but I'm new to outdoor coaxial helis and having read the last 5 pages or so was intrigued. I bought aSyma 301G to mess with and was wondering about converting it from 27mhz to 2.4ghz. I normally fly fixed wing aicraft so have a Spectrum 6Xi and spare receivers. Ihave read on another heli thread about using a v'tail mixer module and a stand alone gyro but wouldn't know where to start!!!! If I'm wide of the mark and wasting my time just say, happy to be here to learn
Hughie Shiel is offline Find More Posts by Hughie Shiel
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:19 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
27-2.4

Hi Hughie Shiel,

I've also read about others using various componets to convert the 27MHz to 2.4GHz. That requires more techinal knowledge than I have. What drambuidhe and I have done is to use a 2.4 GHz pcb and Tx that works with a Double Horse 9118 Heli and modify it to work with the Syma S033G.

I also have JR and Spektrum radio's and would love to be able to put that radio system in the Syma S033G, But as I said I don't have the expertise. Now I do have 4ch Heli's that use the spektrum Rx's, But that's a whole different Heli.

If you can find out how to do what you would like to with converting the S033G from 27MHz to 2.4GHz using Spektrum Rx.s, Please share the process with us. If it isn't too involved, I might give it a go.

J
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:09 AM
Joined Feb 2008
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Hi Hughie Shiel,

I've also read about others using various componets to convert the 27MHz to 2.4GHz. That requires more techinal knowledge than I have. What drambuidhe and I have done is to use a 2.4 GHz pcb and Tx that works with a Double Horse 9118 Heli and modify it to work with the Syma S033G.

I also have JR and Spektrum radio's and would love to be able to put that radio system in the Syma S033G, But as I said I don't have the expertise. Now I do have 4ch Heli's that use the spektrum Rx's, But that's a whole different Heli.

If you can find out how to do what you would like to with converting the S033G from 27MHz to 2.4GHz using Spektrum Rx.s, Please share the process with us. If it isn't too involved, I might give it a go.

J
Thanks Jim : ) I thought it maybe sounded too simple than it really is!! In my innocence/niaivity/stupidity (delete as required) I thought it would be a matter of dumping the pcb with the esc/gyros/rx etc on and then substituiting a 2.4ghz rx, separate escs controlled through a v-tail mixer and a couple of cheapy gyros like the e-flight ones I sometimes use on my fixed wing planes..... Methinks I need to do more research on how coaxials actually work!!
Hughie Shiel is offline Find More Posts by Hughie Shiel
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
27-2.4

Hughie Shiel,

I wish you the best of luck in being able to use the spektrum Rx's in the S033G. If you are able get a working conversion, Be sure to post it here, as I'd like to give it a try also. I've got several spektrum park flyer Rx's that are just laying around waiting for a new home.

J
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:45 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I was reading everyone's posts and figured I would chirp in if you don't mind. Last week I purchased a S33 from symahelicopters.com for $49.99 plus tax and shipping which brought the total to around $65. It was the best deal on-line I could find. Shipping only took 3 days so if anyone is interested in purchasing one the last time I checked they were still in stock.

From my observations it is the same helicopter as the S033G with the exception of the 2.4 Ghz transmitter and pcb. I concur with Jim on the power connector for the battery. I have also found a couple places online that have affordable parts including the pcb (i think the pcb was around $15).

After doing the tail mod using some main blades from a Syma S107G and sliding the battery toward the front of the canopy the helicopter flys quite well even in a little wind. I didn't notice any communication issues even at farther distances. I will be ordering some better spare batteries and connectors.

I really like the S33 because it improved upon the S033G with the transmitter. I only wish they would design a better tail rotor system with a better motor and bigger tail. That would be my only complaint. All in all though a very solid helicoptor. Nothing like a 6 ch, but for a large 3ch cx, I believe it's tough to beat. If you guys like the S033G, I believe you guys would like the S33 even more.
Rhyno2002 is offline Find More Posts by Rhyno2002
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:57 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
So whatís the diagnosis??
Has anyone been successful at converting the S033g to 2.4G ???, if so what is the secret
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23