Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:38 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
Hi drambuidlhe,

I had changed the red/black wires on the motor. The only thing that I'm not sure about was that I had the motors plugged in to the right sockets. Since I didn't take any photo's while I had it all assembled, I can't check it.

I ordered some more parts, So when they get here, I'll try it again. Like you say if it works for you, It should work for me. I really want to get the S033G flying on 2.4Ghz, if at all possible.

I've saved the photo of your conversion to my photo file. I think that the DH9118 pcb is ok, But I'm not going to take a chance with it, So among the other parts coming is a new DH9118 pcb.

I needed to order some replacement parts for my DH9118 anyway, so I just added the parts that I need to do the conversion.

Enjoy your trip, If your are out of touch during your trip, I'll talk to you when you get back.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:16 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
672 Posts
27-2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Hi drambuidlhe,

I had changed the red/black wires on the motor. The only thing that I'm not sure about was that I had the motors plugged in to the right sockets. Since I didn't take any photo's while I had it all assembled, I can't check it.

I ordered some more parts, So when they get here, I'll try it again. Like you say if it works for you, It should work for me. I really want to get the S033G flying on 2.4Ghz, if at all possible.

I've saved the photo of your conversion to my photo file. I think that the DH9118 pcb is ok, But I'm not going to take a chance with it, So among the other parts coming is a new DH9118 pcb.

I needed to order some replacement parts for my DH9118 anyway, so I just added the parts that I need to do the conversion.

Enjoy your trip, If your are out of touch during your trip, I'll talk to you when you get back.

J
Well Jim have you succeeded yet? Have had a couple of flies here inOz and all seems ok so far.Its been windy though and I'm noticing the pwer loss. The dilema will be go back to original pcb for more power or stick to 2.4mhz for no signal losses??
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:58 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
Hi drambuidhe,

I'm flying the S033G on the 27Mhz pcb. (New pcb and Motors) I managed to get in two flights a couple of days ago. The first flight I got a couple of nano second glitches and the second flight was glitch free.

I haven't been able to do any more outdoor flying. For the last couple of days the weather has been un-cooperative. High winds and rain. Typical Washington weather for this time of the year.

I'll continue to fly on the 27Mhz system until....or, if I start to get the dreaded signal loss again. When I first got the S033G it flew fine for the first five or six flights then started the signal losses. I quit flying it because I didn't want to tear it up. I did every mod that was posted and it still kept dropping signal.

If the 27Mhz pcb starts to act up again, I'll see about converting over to the DH9118 2.4Ghz pcb. I'm thinking about ordering another S033G as it's on sale right now and the S33 is still on backorder. Who knows when it'll be back in stock.

Hope that the weather calms down for the both of us, So we can get some more flying in. (The long range forcast is for snow here shortly after Christmas. If it does snow I'll get my airboat out and play in the snow with it.)

I would personaly opt for the lesser of two evils, I'd choose NO SIGNAL LOSS over reduced power, unless it was a severe power loss.

If you ever get a chance to pick up a S33 at a reasonable price, I'd jump on it. It flies just like the S033G and has a better radio system. I've flown the S33 over 35 times with out so much as a twitch from the radio system.

J
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
Elmo
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Is it a gas airboat
Jkmesh is offline Find More Posts by Jkmesh
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Elmo
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
I raced my airboat and blew my steering servo
Jkmesh is offline Find More Posts by Jkmesh
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkmesh View Post
Is it a gas airboat
JKmesh,

It's a Dumas Big Swamp Buggy and I converted it to Electric. I put a Neo 60 on it and It's swinging a Master Airscrew 15 x 7 x 3 blade prop, running on a 6s 30c 22.2v 4000mAh Lipo. I'm getting a little over 1400 Watts, Or almost 2hp.

J
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
Well, I started having trouble with the 27Mhz system. It quit working when the S033G was around fifty ft high. It did some damage this time, It broke the landing skid and the upper and lower blade holders. I've got some new parts ordered.

I changed the S033G over to the DH9118 2.4Ghz pcb and made the necessary mods to the wiring. Reversed the leads on the motor with the red/black wires, Soldered a jumper across the MOPS (Motor Overload Protection System) and reversed the leads on the tail rotor motor. Plugged everything in according to drambuidhe's photo and Walla!!! everything works. Thanks, drambuidhe for your help with the photo with the correct wiring set-up.

Now, I'm just waiting for the new blade holders and I'll be ready to flight test it.

I highly recommend changing the Syma S033G over to 2.4Ghz, If you can use the DH9118 pcb. I alread have the DH9118 Tx, so all I had to buy was the DH9118 2.4Ghz pcb. It think it cost $12.00 from XHeli.

J
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Oct 2012
672 Posts
27-2.4ghz

Quote:
Well, I started having trouble with the 27Mhz system. It quit working when the S033G was around fifty ft high. It did some damage this time, It broke the landing skid and the upper and lower blade holders. I've got some new parts ordered.

I changed the S033G over to the DH9118 2.4Ghz pcb and made the necessary mods to the wiring. Reversed the leads on the motor with the red/black wires, Soldered a jumper across the MOPS (Motor Overload Protection System) and reversed the leads on the tail rotor motor. Plugged everything in according to drambuidhe's photo and Walla!!! everything works. Thanks, drambuidhe for your help with the photo with the correct wiring set-up.

Now, I'm just waiting for the new blade holders and I'll be ready to flight test it.

I highly recommend changing the Syma S033G over to 2.4Ghz, If you can use the DH9118 pcb. I alread have the DH9118 Tx, so all I had to buy was the DH9118 2.4Ghz pcb. It think it cost $12.00 from XHeli.

J
excellent Jim, well done. Let us know how you get on with it!!I've flown mine around 4 times here in Oz but most days are hot and too windy, Its still behaving ok but is under powered -I THINK??
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
Hi drambuidhe,

Got the new blade holders today and got them installed. I noticed that it seemed like the rotors didn't rev up quite as high as they did with the old 27Mhz pcb. I didn't get the new landing skid, So I was un-able to test the Heli in the air.

I will post my results after I get it air worthy. Today was another good flying day, Almost no wind so I got the DH9118's out and got a little carried away with them. They are faster with the DH9077 balance bar and I managed to almost turn one upside down. Backed it into the side of the Garage and tore the tail rotor motor off of it. XHeli is going to love me as I keep tearing them up and ordering new parts.

Hope the weather calms down for you, So you can get some more flying in. Does the S033G fly ok with the new DH9118 pcb if there's little to no wind?

J
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
672 Posts
Quote:
Hi drambuidhe,

Got the new blade holders today and got them installed. I noticed that it seemed like the rotors didn't rev up quite as high as they did with the old 27Mhz pcb. I didn't get the new landing skid, So I was un-able to test the Heli in the air.

I will post my results after I get it air worthy. Today was another good flying day, Almost no wind so I got the DH9118's out and got a little carried away with them. They are faster with the DH9077 balance bar and I managed to almost turn one upside down. Backed it into the side of the Garage and tore the tail rotor motor off of it. XHeli is going to love me as I keep tearing them up and ordering new parts.

Hope the weather calms down for you, So you can get some more flying in. Does the S033G fly ok with the new DH9118 pcb if there's little to no wind?

J
Hi Jim, yes its ok but I have now got gear slip on the idler gear between motor and shaft gears so I'm spending more time learning to fly a Supercub plane my son got me for Xmas at the moment
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:03 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
Hi drambuidhe,

The SuperCub is a very good airplane to learn on. Another one is the MiniMag by Multiplex. It's very simular to the SuperCub. Happy Flying.

J
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
672 Posts
27-2.4

Quote:

J
Jim, have you tried it yet ? I'm keen to hear your story!Have had over 35 flights with theSC and she's still in one piece. Been too windy for helis though
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:36 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
Hi drambuidhe,

I just got the landing skid from China today, I did get it installed about Two O' Clock today, But it had started raining, So didn't get to test fly it. The forecast is for more rain tomorrow. If there is some break in the rain and the wind co-operates, I'll get it maidened.

Everything works fine on the bench, So I'm optimistic that it'll work in the air. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the reduced power output that you experienced.

I will let you know how the maiden goes, When I get the opportunity to fly. Hopefully that will be soon. I did get to fly the S33 earlier in the week, There was a bit of wind blowing and I wanted to get some video of it flying in the wind, I thought I had the camera's memory set on the external memory card, But it wasn't, So I only got 52 sec of Video. Here's the link if you want to see a S33 fly. The only way that I know that it's the S33 and not the S033G, Is by the color of the canopy, Because they both fly the same. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post23706492

Good to hear that you are getting a bunch of stick time on the Super Cub.

The only plane flying I'm able to do right now, Is fly on the flight sim.

J
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:22 AM
Joined Oct 2012
672 Posts
Hi Jim, we'll have to find out why the 2.4 pcb causes a reduction in power if you find the same thing.I'm sure someone will explain why then maybe there will be a way round it.I spoke too soon about the success of my SC flying.I lost it in the bright sun when low and in strong wind earlier and snapped both wings and the motor mount right off!!Serves me right , I was getting too cocky!! p.s liked your video
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:40 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
997 Posts
s033g -27mhz to 2.4ghz

Hi drambuidhe,

I was able to get The S033G out today for some flight's. My S033G is doing the same as yours. It doesn't have the power that the 27MHz pcb has and I have no idea why that is? It still flys ok, just not with the power that I'm used to. I did get a glitch during flight, but only for a instance and it did it every flight. Only one glitch per flight, But still it's a glitch. It doesn't inspire me to get the Heli up at any considerable distance, Until I know for sure that it won't pull a complete signal loss on me.

It's a mystery to me why the DH9118 2.4GHz pcb in the S033G has a glitch and the pcb's in my DH9118 Heli's are rock solid. Go figure

Sorry to hear about the demise of the SuperCub. Will you get another one,something different, or just stick with flying Heli's?

J