SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:03 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
711 Posts
Hi Jim, yes just switch the red and black wires round on the left hand motor . I,ve mounted the pcb so that the motor sockets face towards the back(nearest the motors) Everything except the switch just plug in as with the s033g pcb.NOTE the motor with the blue/white wires go to the left socket and red/black to right socket.You just use the switch that is attached to the board fitting it in the old switches position on the heli frame. Other than reversing the tailmotor polarity(so forward IS forward) and soldering on your choice of battery terminals thats it!! I am pretty sure the tailmotor was more powerful on the old board though I thought all the motors on the 9118 were the same as the s033g.So it appears to be all good! I had quite a long hard flight earlier and the pcb seems cool enough as are the motorsp.s I've not attached the floats since the 2.4 change but will on the first calm day.Oh! and no I changed nothing on the motors, they're bog standard!The whole process cost me £10 for 2nd hand tranny and £9 forpcb from China.
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:20 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Thanks drambuidle,

I got started on converting the electronics. This is what I've got done so far. I soldered the bridge on the MOPS wire (Motor Overload Protection System) I made a tray out of 1/16" ply to mount the DH9118 pcb on and mounted the DH9118 pcb on the 1/16/" ply tray using 1/8" brass spacers. Is this the same direction that you mounted the DH9118 pcb on your S033G?

Tomorrow, I'll do the rest of the wiring and then give it the old smoke test.

The Main Motors on the DH9118 are smaller in diameter then the one's on the S033G. I'd guess that the One's on the DH9118 are about 280 size and the One's on the S033G are about 370 size. I can't tell about the tail rotor motors.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Oct 2012
711 Posts
Hi Jim, I replied earlier and have just discovered its not here so will try again!Yes that's the way round I fitted my board,just make sure you connect the right motors to the right sockets or you will smoke!!I tied mine down today and walked to the end of our field(a good 250yrds)using binoculars I could see I had perfect reception still, so very pleased.I put my keyfob camera on and went higher than I've ever been before ,I got a good 5oofeet before I was losing sight of it but no signal issues so well chuffed!!The power overall is slightly down but the control is smoother and flight times seem longer so I'm assuming the 2.4 pcb isn't able to supply quite the same amps.I'm dismantling it and taking it on my hols to Australia and NZ so will see how it likes the heat. It will lift my floats but only about 20' off the ground and not for long which is a shame, don't know how to make them any lighter.Flying my S033G with NO signal drops is good enough for me
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:32 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
does anyone know where I can get a pcb board for the S33. I have not found any dealers within the US that carry it yet and a little leary of ordering things overseas.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Oct 2012
711 Posts
conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Thanks drambuidle,

I got started on converting the electronics. This is what I've got done so far. I soldered the bridge on the MOPS wire (Motor Overload Protection System) I made a tray out of 1/16" ply to mount the DH9118 pcb on and mounted the DH9118 pcb on the 1/16/" ply tray using 1/8" brass spacers. Is this the same direction that you mounted the DH9118 pcb on your S033G?

Tomorrow, I'll do the rest of the wiring and then give it the old smoke test.

The Main Motors on the DH9118 are smaller in diameter then the one's on the S033G. I'd guess that the One's on the DH9118 are about 280 size and the One's on the S033G are about 370 size. I can't tell about the tail rotor motors.

J
Have you done it yet? If so what do YOU think so far.I've used mine enough to be confident in taking it away with out the 27mhz spares,will report any issues if they arrise!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:31 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Have you done it yet? If so what do YOU think so far.I've used mine enough to be confident in taking it away with out the 27mhz spares,will report any issues if they arrise!

Hi drambuidhe,

I finished up the conversion on the S033G and it didn't go as well as yours did. Upon plugging the battery in and turning on the switch, The diode on the motor with the blue/white wires went POOF!!! I don't know what went wrong, Unless I had the motor leads plugged into the wrong sockets.
(NOTE the motor with the blue/white wires go to the left socket and red/black to right socket.)

The way that I plugged the motor leads were as if I was setting in the Heli, looking out over the nose. That way left would be on my left and right would be on my right. Is this the way you plugged in the motor leads?, Or did you plug them in looking towards the rear of the Heli? If that's the way you plugged your motors in, Then I did it the wrong way.

After I had the diode burn up on the motor with the blue/white wires, I just put a new 27Mhz pcb and new motors in. It works that way, so I'll try it again with the 27Mhz radio system, The only thing I have left to do is solder on a longer antenna. Then we'll see how it works. If it doesn't work then I'll put it on the shelf and use it for parts for the S33.

I did see that Syma shows a replacement 2.4Ghz pcb for the S33, But I can't get it to go to the cart, Or find out what it costs. If I could get one, I would try to convert the S033G using a 2.4Ghz pcb from a S33.

I'm glad that your conversion is working. All of my Heli's with 2.4Ghz have been trouble free so far. I See that Syma is getting more Heli's in their lineup with the 2.4Ghz radio system. I know that I won't be buying any more Heli's that are on the 27Mhz band.

J
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
711 Posts
Quote:

Hi drambuidhe,

I finished up the conversion on the S033G and it didn't go as well as yours did. Upon plugging the battery in and turning on the switch, The diode on the motor with the blue/white wires went POOF!!! I don't know what went wrong, Unless I had the motor leads plugged into the wrong sockets.
(NOTE the motor with the blue/white wires go to the left socket and red/black to right socket.)

The way that I plugged the motor leads were as if I was setting in the Heli, looking out over the nose. That way left would be on my left and right would be on my right. Is this the way you plugged in the motor leads?, Or did you plug them in looking towards the rear of the Heli? If that's the way you plugged your motors in, Then I did it the wrong way.

After I had the diode burn up on the motor with the blue/white wires, I just put a new 27Mhz pcb and new motors in. It works that way, so I'll try it again with the 27Mhz radio system, The only thing I have left to do is solder on a longer antenna. Then we'll see how it works. If it doesn't work then I'll put it on the shelf and use it for parts for the S33.

I did see that Syma shows a replacement 2.4Ghz pcb for the S33, But I can't get it to go to the cart, Or find out what it costs. If I could get one, I would try to convert the S033G using a 2.4Ghz pcb from a S33.

I'm glad that your conversion is working. All of my Heli's with 2.4Ghz have been trouble free so far. I See that Syma is getting more Heli's in their lineup with the 2.4Ghz radio system. I know that I won't be buying any more Heli's that are on the 27Mhz band.

J
Yes thats right Jim blue/white wires from motor on right(looking from cockpit)go to the left socket but did you change the wires round on the other motor as I did,because thatsthe crucial bit.?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Yes thats right Jim blue/white wires from motor on right(looking from cockpit)go to the left socket but did you change the wires round on the other motor as I did,because thatsthe crucial bit.?

Hi drambuidhe,
Yes, I reversed the red and black wires on the other motor. I'm going to try flying the S033G with the 27Mhz system. If that doesn't work, I will set it on the shelf. I would think that in the near future that there will be replacement parts available for the S33.

When I can get a replacement S33 pcb, I'll try to do the conversion with that pcb. The S033G is a good flying Heli, So I hope I can get it flying again.

I took the S33, the DH9118 and the WL V911 out today and had a ball flying them today. Weather was overcast and chilly, But very little to no wind. Great Heli flying Weather. I'd almost forgot how to fly the V911 as all I've been flying lately is 3 ch Heli's .

Once again, I'm happy that your S033G is flying without the nasty signal drop problem. Some day, Ill have mine flying again..

J
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:38 AM
Joined Oct 2012
711 Posts
I'm gutted that it didn't work for you Jim, I've been over and over my description and am sure I've given the correct info?!! Hopefully you just blew the motor diode and not the pcb.If you heat up the motor terminals one at a time while pulling upwards those ceramic discs come off leaving a plain motor.Now the motor is'nt affected by any polarity variations.Although you can't fly with it like that at least you can safely reconnect the pcb just as a bench test, if it works then you could try again .I'd be tempted to cut the wires off your possibly dud motor and plug it into the 9118 board just on the bench,connect a battery and with a multimeter see which colour wires are + and - The best thing I could do would be to post up a photo but being a dunderhead with computers I'm not sure how, any simple tips? My father inlaw's here tomorrow so he may know, if so I'll put one on
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:31 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Hi drambuidhe,

I would really appriciate it, If you could get a photo posted. As it's said a photo is worth a thousand words. I could then see if I had all of the connections in the right polarity. I don't think that I hurt the pcb, But will check it. I can get another pcb from xHeli. But before I do anything else to it. I'll wait and see if you can get a photo posted.

My Operating System is Windows 7 So,
To post photo's here, I go "to Additional Options", Which is right below "Reply to thread" click on "Manage Attachments". It will go to a screen that says "Manage Attachments". At the top of the browser list it will say "Upload file from your computer." click on "browse". Then select "pictures", Then select the photo in your photo file that you want to upload from your computer. then click on "Open" ( I usually resize the image to 1024 x 800) then click on "Upload". Then it should say "uploading file, please wait." when the file is uploaded it will show the file in Attach files. You can then click on "Preview Post" and you will see the text and the photo. If you are satisified with the text and the attachment, Then you will click on "Submit Reply". Don't forget to do this or you will have to start all over again.

You can also upload photo's using the "Upload File from a URL", But I don't use it anymore, So I'm not real sure as to how to do it that way.

J
Last edited by Jim Lee; Dec 09, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
711 Posts
s033g 27mhz-2.4ghz

If this works then I'll be well chuffed,thanks very much for your help Jim
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2012
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
If this works then I'll be well chuffed,thanks very much for your help Jim
And it did!! Thats the first time I've ever posted any picture.Hope this helps you and anyone else to make the conversion work and make their S033G trustworthy
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:18 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
s033g 27mhz-2.4ghz

ManyThanks drambuidhe,
That photo will be a big help. I'll be putting in a order tomorrow, So when the parts get here, I'll try it again. I've converted the S033G back to 27Mhz and got the finishing touches done today. I didn't get to fly it yet, But it runs fine on the bench. (I was seating in the carbon brushes in the new motors)

I wish you continued success with the S033G, It's really no fun to fly a Heli that you don't trust.

J
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:26 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
s033g 27mhz-2.4ghz

Hi drambuidhe,

I've done the polarity tests on the DH9118 pcb and how the motors are wired to the pcb.

If you could do me a favor and check your motor(s) polarity, It will be greatly appriciated. I'm attaching a wiring diagram that I drew of the way the motors are wired to the DH9118 pcb

Thanks,
J
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Oct 2012
711 Posts
Quote:
Hi drambuidhe,

I've done the polarity tests on the DH9118 pcb and how the motors are wired to the pcb.

If you could do me a favor and check your motor(s) polarity, It will be greatly appriciated. I'm attaching a wiring diagram that I drew of the way the motors are wired to the DH9118 pcb

Thanks,
J
Hi Jim,my heli is dismantled and packed in the bottom of a suitcase under a pile in the car ready to go away shortly but if you copy the pic and make sure that you unsolder the black and red wires fromthe left motor and swap them then you can't go wrong.Leave the right motor as it is.I'm sure It must work if mine did! Best of luck.