HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:45 AM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Discussion
Another new steam engine offering from China

I was sure something like this would be coming along sooner or later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230874882755...84.m1423.l2649

Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:13 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Crazy price !
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,023 Posts
Price is ridiculous!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:33 PM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Yeah, I think they missed the "sweet spot" on the price!
Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,023 Posts
If it were a Stuart, well then okay. But it's not. It's made in the land of cheap labor, questionable raw materials, and infamous quality control or lack of should I say.

Drop it to $600 shipped and he may get some bites.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:28 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
You guys have more experience of Chinese imports than I have , I would rather have a look at the sellers feed back, He is from OZ so he is importing them and to date he has had no sales or feed back on them.
I would be highly suspicious of this seller after being caught some years ago by a seller in Hungary of a Gas turbine jet engine, all the pics were great, great feed back but still a Con.

2- Years ago there was a very similar engine made in India which when purchased was not very impressive, not by me I hastily add, and didn't last very long with all the complaints.

A Stuart D10 without reverse gear or lubricator, or steam control valve ready to run is in the 1200 G.B.P. range

So if this is genuine it's not a bad price.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:54 AM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,229 Posts
Looks like a fairly well built engine to me .
I would rather make a D10 from a casting kit though , as the cost is much less .
But if you don't have the equipment or skills , it seems about right money wise .
Looks like it is all brass castings , rather than Iron on the Stuart .
I would want to see some reviews .
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:22 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,623 Posts
Looks a lot more substancial than the Saito bashings but isn't blingy enough for Colonial acceptance. Perhaps if they glammed it up a bit it would find favour? Price? Well, shouldn't have sold all your scrap to the East.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc2504 View Post
Looks like a fairly well built engine to me .
I would rather make a D10 from a casting kit though , as the cost is much less .
But if you don't have the equipment or skills , it seems about right money wise .
Looks like it is all brass castings , rather than Iron on the Stuart .
I would want to see some reviews .
From the view point of a non metal working skilled person I go along with this. It seems to look right and if that is the case then the money is about right also. It's equivalent by the long established Australian manufacturer is about $1000.00 more. What you don't get with this Chinese engine is the availability of all the bits and pieces that make up the complete steam plant - including burners, boilers that are are available from the Oz supplier.

But even so, if you consider buying a 4 inch boiler and twin cylinder engine from that supplier then consider buying only the boiler and buy this Chinese engine instead you will find that you will be paying about $1000.00 or so less.

And that is hard to ignore.

All depends upon whether it is a reliable, effective and durable engine and as is suggested above, a review is needed. But just from what can be seen from the two photos it looks about right.

Refreshing my knowledge of Stuart Turner it seems that they are in a similar position. However they have the name, the elegant appearance and all of that makes the machined kit an attractive proposition.

It would be interesting to know of STs delivery history. Is there a waiting period of any significance?
sandy1000 is offline Find More Posts by sandy1000
Last edited by sandy1000; Nov 03, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Updating market availability.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:52 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,269 Posts
Model steam engine NEW Twin cylinder Reversible
AU $995.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230874882755...84.m1423.l2649

If it is any good its price is not that bad, but I would rather do a Stuart D10 from castings. If I was going to buy a kit I would go with the PM or the Graham twin.

Model: Stuart D10 Unmachined Set of Castings
Brief Description:

The Stuart D10 is well suited to all kinds of stationary and marine work, being able to reach speeds...
Height: 6 Inches. Price: 146.50 (exc VAT)

Model: Stuart D10 Machined Kits
Brief Description:
The Stuart D10 is well suited to all kinds of stationary and marine work, being able to reach speeds...
Height: 6 Inches. Price: 646.00 (excl VAT)

Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Last edited by steamboatmodel; Nov 07, 2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Included price of Chinese model
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:05 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
If it is any good its price isen't that bad, but I would rather do a Stuart D10 from castings. If I was going to buy a kit I would go with the PM or the Graham twin.

Model: Stuart D10 Unmachined Set of Castings
Brief Description:

Height: 6 Inches. Price: 146.50 (exc VAT)

Model: Stuart D10 Machined Kits
Brief Description:
Height: 6 Inches. Price: 646.00 (exc VAT)

Regards,
Gerald.
Gerald,
You are forgetting that a machined D10 kit from Stuart @ 646 pounds + V.A.T. @ 20% doesn't include pipe work, drain valves and of coarse Stevenson link reverse gear, so if you add on all the extras it's going to be well above the price of the Chinese import so it's not a bad price.
I shudder to think what a R.T.R. engine complete with reverse gear would cost from Stuart.

Granted we don't know what spare parts are going to be like for the Chinese engine as Sandy says and with Stuart now being bought over and has moved back to the mainland I don't know what delivery times or part availability is at present or the quality of the castings as they were deteriorating under the last owner.
The new owners I believe in fact have a foundry and at one time supplied Stuart with castings, so only time will tell how things are.

One good thing you guys outside the E.U. have is that if posted direct to you no V.A.T. is applicable but then no doubt you will have import charges.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Apr 2009
139 Posts
Well, Ooyah, like you I initially thought that a fully RTR D10 would cost a fortune but after putting Stuart D10 into Google I find that they are available at 943 pounds. Bt my next question is how quick is delivery?
sandy1000 is offline Find More Posts by sandy1000
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:39 PM
Kazakhstan, Jambyl Province, Moiynkum District
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
You can see other Chines shop... example http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Twin-...587158545.html
BlackAlex is offline Find More Posts by BlackAlex
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,269 Posts
I think at this price I would go with the PM research twin http://www.pmresearchinc.com/newsletter06-07.pdf

Chines shop... example http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Twin-...587158545.html
Twin Cylinder Marine Steam Engine Model
Price: US $160.00
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel