HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined May 2012
1,067 Posts
Discussion
Airfoil pattern for Wing Baking Oven

Has anybody developed a pattern for the airfoil former section of a wing baking oven?

I thought i remembered seeing one someplace on this forum ... and thought I had saved it. but now that i need it, I just can't remember where I saw it or where I might have put it.

I would like to build an oven this weekend and get started putting the wings together for my Curtis project.

Thanks.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
48 Posts
Here's one I use. You might even extend the highest point another 1/16" - 1/8" as the foam relaxes a little bit when cooling. Extend the trailing edge of this pattern to reach 12" (or whatever the distance is for your jig -- OR -- line all the patterns up at the front end, and place a little dab of silicone sealer at the rear end to keep them from sliding in the groove.

For what it's worth, my bake time turned out to be 225 degrees for 15 minutes
on CONVECTION BAKE.
TheRealMrEd is offline Find More Posts by TheRealMrEd
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined May 2012
1,067 Posts
Great! It's very helpful to start with something that is proven.

Thank you very much.
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
417 Posts
I have been using 4% camber at 40% back from the LE with great results for years. Needless to say the % is based on wing chord.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:51 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
ive been using plain underchambered.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOB54 View Post
I have been using 4% camber at 40% back from the LE with great results for years.
I started with the 4 40, looked at other airfoils, and then decided on the compromise shown below.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
48 Posts
pattern

This is a slightly different pattern with slightly deeper curve. Keep in mind however, that I ony build wings 3" - 4" in chord, made of 2-3mm depron. I slide the foam forward or backward in the jig to get more or less curve, depending upon the project.

If you're making thicker, deeper chord wings, then probably the whole airfoil needs to be designed for that one purpose, but perhaps sharpened a little to allow for the foam relaxing a bit when it cools.
TheRealMrEd is offline Find More Posts by TheRealMrEd