Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Dec 2008
72 Posts
Discussion
Chrysalis or Spectra/Spirit

Hello all,

I am in the market for an electric glider kit. I have been flying RC for 8 years, and want to try my hand at gliders. I like how the both of these models have interchangable wings with their sister model. I would like to buy an electric model for now, and have the option of switching to a pure glider if i decide to pick up a hi-start at some point.

I plan on chucking the stock power system on the spectra in favor of a 200-250w power system with a folding prop, and probably using hitec 5085 or 5245 servos and a 1300 3s lipo.

What are the good and bad of both?
Forced_Inducti is offline Find More Posts by Forced_Inducti
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,856 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Spectra is an electric version of the Spirit. The Spirit's tail is too short, making it annoying to fly compared to other gliders that are available. If you put enough gear in the Spectra, it might make up for this flaw, but then it will be heavy. (The gear adds very little to the moment of inertia, but increases the weight, the flight speed, and therefore the forces on the tail. So it's like having a larger tail.) Or perhaps when they came out with the Spectra, they fixed the tail??

You may want another opinion as I'm known to be outspoken about the Spirit. Then again, I started to build one, tried flying other people's examples, and abandoned the project!

The Chrysalis 2m is a nice, well thought out kit with good instructions and materials. If it handles similarly to the 1.5 meter version, it should be very nice. I've flown the 1.5 m myself, am building the 2 meter. And I might even finish it someday!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:10 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,543 Posts
Given those two choices, Chrysalis.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,106 Posts
Having read much of Don's writing on the design of the Chrysalis,I would definitely go with it.It;s on my list as well.It is a highly developed aircraft.
A club member has one .He launched it of the winch one day ,and realized his transmitter was off .The plane had previously been trimmed to perfection so it hooked a thermal and flew out of sight.It was found the next day in fine shape 5 miles away.
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Dec 2008
72 Posts
although im not opposed to ordering online, the shipping to canada is a bit pricey. the kit is only 85$ but will proably be more like 110-130 by the time i get it to my door for the chrysalis. I can get the spectra and spirit kits locally for 100 and 65 respectively.

that being said, you guys are making a very strong case for the chrysalis. i dont mind paying a bit more for a higher quality airframe.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:13 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,889 Posts
Chrysalis. I had the Spectra and it took a long time and work to get it to where I could have fun with it, but I had to be cautious. The Chrysalis was fun from the start even with an aft cg.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:30 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
There is no doubt the Chrysalis is the one it is one fine flyer and the kit is laser cut......
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
72 Posts
thanks for the one sided opinions guys =P.

Looks like a chrysalis is going to be my christmas present from the fiance this year. thanks for the help everyone.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,856 Posts
Keep in mind that making the Chrysalis is not their day job, so I suggest you allow a few weeks lead time. That's the way it is with "cottage industry". Judging by the example I bought, it's a quality kit and, IMHO, worth waiting for.

There are some decent alternatives if the extra few bucks is a problem. However, these suggestions won't have the speed range that the Chrysalis would. Here are four:
Sig Riser This one is a real floater and I remember that it handles quite well.
Dynaflite Butterfly (sold as a power job but it sure looks like an old style floater glider and I'm sure it would be easy to convert back)
My suspicion is that the kits might not be as nice, either.
If you find a Gentle Lady kit or an Electra kit (very similar to GL but for electric), either would make a decent flyer with today's brushless motors and lithium batteries. You'd want to stretch and narrow the nose on the Electra as it's made for a heavy ferrite 05. Almost unable to climb that way unless geared.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
RISC - SCRCC - AMA member
United States, RI, Warwick
Joined Apr 2010
138 Posts
Hi All,
I guess this is the time of year everyone starts tossing up what planes to add to the hanger. I have an unflown 2m Riser I want to electrify, Have an EBot,Vista, and Skimmer all EP...also a Bixler ( does that count)! Two of the guys in my club have Chrysalis', they fly awesome. One is a v tail and the other normal. I guess I have the bug pretty bad. Have more than a few scale and aerobatic ships but have been leaning towards the gliders mostly all year. I generally like ARF's and wish you choose what covering goes on them or buy them without the electronics. Who wants a brushed motor and brushed esc these days. Most arfs have cheap clevis and other cheap plastic parts that break at the wrong time. Hi Lincoln we're neighbors.
bluzjamer is offline Find More Posts by bluzjamer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2004
211 Posts
Chrysalis or.....

I've flown a lot of molded high dollar ships and built quite a few wood sailplanes and the quality and flight characteristics of the Chrysalis is virtually unbeatable. Not to mention DJs customer support when needed. You won't be disappointed with the Chrysalis!

BCNU
Bruce
Austin, TX
Bruce1 is offline Find More Posts by Bruce1
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
846 Posts
Given those two choices, Chrysalis.

I have the non powered one and love it am thinking of getting the e fuse.
xrx1113 is online now Find More Posts by xrx1113