SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:11 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
Maybe I try slapping a Harley motor in my Hellcat, just not with a kickstart. lol
http://www.skyray.us/photo.htm

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
Earl, how much clearance is between your mag and flywheel. I'm having intermittent spark issues, brand new plug.

thanks
hutchinstuff is online now Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:41 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinstuff View Post
Earl, how much clearance is between your mag and flywheel. I'm having intermittent spark issues, brand new plug.

thanks
Usually it is almost touching. Just enough clearance to not touch. Normally I use a feeler gauge and use the .015 inch thick blade. I place the blade on the flywheel and adjust the magneto transformer to just touch it. I think the gap is such that a sheet of paper won't fit in between. Now some cheaper engines may need a .025 inch gap as the flywheel isn't all that round.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:00 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
Thanks Earl, got the spark down, but no fire! it has pretty good compression, seems like its probably a fuel issue now..... should be fun
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:29 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,748 Posts
Fortunately a engine needs fuel, air and a spark. Usually if you can get all three the engine will run. Now how good it runs though is another story.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
I'll be picking up a conversion stopper so I can setup a tank..... Another Q, will it run very well sans muffler? All I really care about right now is that it runs, tuning to be a whole nother step.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:03 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,748 Posts
You don't really need a muffler to test run the engine, but maybe some ear protectors would be a good idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
You don't really need a muffler to test run the engine, but maybe some ear protectors would be a good idea.
Got em right next to the bench for the dremel!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
Earl! Finally got her going, needs to have a new carb innerds. Wondering if you have gotten your weed eaters to start very well by hand? I had to hook up the drill to her!
Also, is it fine to run these things inverted? I assume so.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,748 Posts
The engines do not really care if they are mounted in any position, sideways, right side up, or upside down or even reversed with a pusher prop.
Yeah if a engine has sat for a long time, the carb usually needs attention and maybe a rebuild kit to replace the diaphragms and filter screen, etc. Sometimes the jets get clogged up for sitting around too long too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
I'm running the 16x10 3blade pusher from MAS since it runs clockwise. It runs really smooth!

My dad is turning a spinner for me on the lathe this week! Love having a lathe and mill at my disposal!

Do all of yours start by hand?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,748 Posts
yeah I can hand flip them to start. The magneto equipped engines require a faster more brisk flip to get them to catch than the electronic ignition engines do. it might be sort of like developing the technique more than anything to get them to work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:22 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
Thanks Earl, we shall see how it starts it when I replace the carb innerds. I really gotta find a plane for this thing... should be fun.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:13 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I think your problem is that the prop hub needs to be a larger diameter to match the width of the propeller at its hub. You don't have enough surface area to grip the prop well, so it slips and comes loose on you. You should also cut in some grooves to grip the prop better. The prop washer should be larger in diameter to match the prop hub size too and more thick than a regular washer. Even a gas engine RC conversion develops too much power for using a couple of nuts with the prop in between them. The prop hub can have a wide end with a tapered or stepped smaller diameter rear part though.

You can see here where I made the prop hub adapter larger in diameter and used a big washer like spacer for the prop washer too.
i am getting somebody to make me a prophub like that ! , i just got back on the project again. now i am waiting for the prophub to be made. after that i will start building the plane.do you know what would be a good , easy plane to build. i want a p-51 or i thought about a sukhoi or you know any aerobatic good looking plane. but i would need a plane with a big nose, so the engine would not be seen of the nose..
Nastagol is offline Find More Posts by Nastagol
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:21 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,748 Posts
Well, there are so many planes that would work, I wouldn't know where to start.
They usually mount the engines inverted, thus the engines don't look all that noticeable then.
RCG Plus Member