HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Dang! Dang! Dang!

I went out for some evening aerobatics with the ASW 28 and, to my surprise, there was monster lift all over the place because the air cooled faster than the ground. Alas, I didn't even bring my watch but I only came down from the last flight because it was getting too dark to see the plane. There was about 3mph of wind coming straight off the freeway so I was able to soar up and stunt down more times than I could count and never even came close to needing the motor.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Getting closer to Belem!

Specter 1800
2 meter thermal
11/20/12 @12:30PM CST
44:40 minutes after a 10 second climb
West Saint Paul, Mn.

Bright sun, no wind, and temps climbing from 42-50F. The same conditions are predicted for the whole week so I might still be able to beat Belem's Radian.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Hmmm..looks like I might get some good weather this weekend, but I don't know that I can last longer than my last run. lol
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Wooohoo

Way to go guys. Great
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Thanks! I have to admit that my eyes are still a bit strained. And my neck and feet are a little more creaky than they were 20 years ago!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,410 Posts
You know, I used to feel really embarrassed when ever I got beat by a Radian.

Now I just mutter things best left unsaid under my breath and vow to practice harder
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
There's no shame being beaten by a Radian. Then again; a Radian won't do vertical rolls out of sight in about 15 seconds or sing past at 70mph and roll almost out of sight without power!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:53 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
230 Posts
re: Radiad

I fly my E-Aspire and Pike-E along side a friend flying a Radian. We have a great time together and he can hang with me much of the time. (Sometimes even BETTER than I do.) But like Peter said, he can't go up to almost 3,000 feet and still see his ship like I can, and he's always the one saying "Give it a low pass and do a Woosh-By, or fly inverted, barrel role... etc...." Each ship has it's advantages, and truth is, my friend has a growing family and doesn't have $2,500+ dollars to invest in a moldie right now.

So: Ta- Da... He flies a Radian, And that is NOT a bad thing

Murph
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:24 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
The thing is to fly...!:thumbup:
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:17 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,019 Posts
My best thermal time was with a cheap 70 foam minimoa so it's all about the weather really lol! That's the great thing about this hobby-you can spend as much or as little as you like and still have a lot of fun competing with more expensive models.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,019 Posts
I would love to go skiing again, not been for over 10 years(family lol).
Hope to go again someday but might not be fit enough anymore not getting any younger!
Winds and rain setting in here again and not able to fly but hoping that the weekend might bring some calmer winds even if the rain does not look like giving up, I can always nip out between the showers for a quick fix!
Playing with the little 1/16 turnigy beetle in the living room using my dx6i is just not working out lol, I ordered a pistol tx today as the stick on dx6i do not work well with cars but it was worth a try, It's waaay too fast really but on the laminate flooring I can drift it but need proper car controls to do it properly, ordered a new battery for my old esky lama v3 for a flying fix indoors but nothing compares to flying the planes/gliders in the big open sky.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Soaring was tough today. More turbulence than steady lift due to the wind switching around to all points of the compass. The weather boffins (a tip of the hat to our friends across the pond) are saying one more day near 60F and then we are supposed to drop all the way down to "normal" on Friday. The weirdest part about our weird weather is that, after looking at some pictures a friend took in late summer, there is more green grass now than there was at the end of August. There are even brand new grass shoots where they plowed up some turf to put in new curbs. I wonder; will I get winter thermals if there isn't any snow surrounding the asphalt?

In any case; there's a post office across the street and the parking lot is big enough to fly my 3D Yak on Sundays and over the weekend when the lot is empty. So? I should be able to get some flying in clear through the winter.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:29 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,019 Posts
winds winds winds winds lol, too windy to fly anything and enjoy it still over here, tomoz is supposed to be a calm day(6 to 12 mph gusts) broken cloud and overcast so I should be able to get some flying in and if the winds are from the east as they are saying then some gliding too and with some luck I might find a thermal or 2 but not holding my breath as it's not that time of year.
I have polished my blaster dlg with a little bit of turtle wax to see if it makes any difference, it certainly feels smoother to the touch so I'm thinking that is should have less drag through the air and therefor say up better!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:35 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,019 Posts
Well the turtle wax seemed to work, 1st hard throw managed 1min 45 secs dead air!
After that the condensation formed on the wings and most throws were 1:30.
No thermals at all today-too cold, but lots of fun trying to get as high a throw as possible.
Looking on the net I found a statement that you should not put polish on the wings as it is difficult to effect a repair without sanding the wax off but too late now I've done it, just have to be careful!

I was wondering how good my throws are compared to most people and had a look on some forums and 1:30 seems pretty good someone had mentioned that 1:05 was his usual and he had heard that the top flyers can get 1:30 so that makes me feel better though I'm sure my throwing is not yet as good as it could be and tight turns still loose a lot of height.

On a lighter note my dog loved it again chasing after the glider round and round the field, and after an hour or so he got bored and was doing his own thing(mostly getting muddy) I was just coming in for a landing and he right in the way, I was too low to go round him or climb over him so I shouted him to get out of the way, to which he responded by lifting his head up and looking at me just as the blaster went over his head and the tail bounced off his head, he looked a bit shocked but I still managed to catch the plane lol.

Rest of week is windy and raining again lol.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
Took my chrysalis that I finished a couple weeks ago out today. It was alittle chilly and windy. Best I could do was about 8min. Still enjoyed it though.
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher