SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
Went flying at our club field Sunday - unfortunately I am still w/out an electric - could have set a pretty high bar.
Flew my winch launched 2M Ruby and MPX Flamingo - not a single flight under 30 minutes
Temps from 45 in the AM to 70 by 1 PM => fantastic flying!

Plans for my 2M ALES are almost complete, built a mock-up cardboard fuse and it was a bit too small - so I need to blow it up just a bit and start building.

Martin
MMR is online now Find More Posts by MMR
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I agree, Martin. The best thermals are often found when the air is relatively cool but there's enough sun to heat up patches of ground. After all, thermals are dependent on a contrast of temperature rather than an absolute. Since my field has a lot of asphalt around it I am hopeful that I'll be able to find thermals all winter as long as the snow doesn't get too deep to get to said field.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Too many flights to count today. In fact, I'm only home to charge my Tx battery since I forgot my adapter. I got one flight of 30+ minutes with the Specter around noon but mostly I've been doing aerobatics with the ASW 28 with a little ballast to keep my momentum up. I continue to be impressed with how well a cheap bit of foam performs after a little tweaking. There goes the battery buzzer! It's time to go wring out the Yak.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,931 Posts
I managed to sneak out during today's lull between rain storms. The lift was very soft but fairly steady considering the conditions.

Open class
Bubble Dancer-Mirage (BD fuse, Mirage wing)
15 Nov 2012
30 minutes 52 seconds
45 deg F, mostly cloudy and light winds.

MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Last edited by MrE; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: forgot to deduct the motor run time
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:13 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,931 Posts
Corrected time above - forgot to deduct motor run time!
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
Martin Rudolph (MMR)
Glider name: Aksent II DLG
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:11/16/12 12:45PM
Duration of flight: 18:37

Had an interesting 'lunch-fly' session today - overcast and breezy (gusting up to 10 mph) - temperature in mid to high 40's.
Decided to take the ballast out and was going to try and fly as many 2 or 3's as I could get - then I caught a 'whirlwind' thermal that propelled me way high and I disovered that there was a large patch of lifty air up there - so I decided to hang out at that height. Actually could have gone longer, but the timer went off and I had to dive and land and go back to work... Hey it pays the bills...

Oh well - at least it's Friday and I can sneak in a bunch of flying over the weekend! Hope conditions hold

Thermals! Martin
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:42 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
I had the same weather conditions here today, but not with such a good result. 3 flights of 10mins each.

I flew anyways and that counts by itself
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,700 Posts
Yesterday the winds were very light(for yorkshire anyway lol) and I had a loooong dlg session from 9am to 1:30pm with the dog chasing the blaster round the field getting very muddy and smelly, I had a few 4 min flights but the rest were mostly around 1:20, day b4 there was a bonfire in the allotments and I tried to catch a lift from it but just could not turn tight enough to go up, tried ds through it too not that did not work, I managed to hold the height for a while but not go up, I wonder if I am doing something wrong, this newer blaster seems to lose height more then the old one in tight turns, yet is it light and I have played around with the cog, in a tight turn it just seems to lose all it's momentum and then loses height. Maybe I need to make it heavier???
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Paraskevas Hadjianastasiou (Friday)
Glider name: DF Weasel
Thermal or Slope: Slope
Date and Time of flight:11/17/12 14:02PM
Duration of flight: 00:29:34

Maidened my Weasel today. Went up at the slope and toss into lift.

Flew straight in uneventfully. Left me flying with a big smile. For over 10mins I was flying with a buzzard side by side, great experience. Weasel is my first pure glider.

Winds were blowing at 18knots and had to add 20gr of ballast.

Friday

Slope and landing zone
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
Terre Haute, Indiana, USA
Joined Aug 2004
959 Posts
Open Class
Forest Flyer
Glider name: High Aspect 3.1 M
Thermal
November 17, 2012
Duration of flight: 31 minutes 21 seconds ( 22 sec motor run already deducted)

Today was the first great flying day (on a weekend) in many weeks. Relatively abundant lift without much strong sink. There are not likely going to be too many more days like this before the low-lift short days of winter take hold. Weather: 55 F (13 C), Clear, Wind SE 5 mph (8kph).
Forest Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Forest Flyer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Nice flying, guys. We continue to have unseasonably warm temps here in Minnesota and I've been out flying something every day. The only down side is that the prevailing winds have been from the wrong direction so my choices are to fly in the teeth of the bright sun or way downwind where the gliders get small in a hurry. So? I haven't really been trying for endurance but have become pretty proficient stunting both the Specter and the ASW 28. The winds are predicted to shift over night so I hope I can take advantage of the nice, warm, freeway tomorrow.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:45 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
245 Posts
re: Just for Fun

Open Class
Pilot: Paul Murphy
Glider name: Aspire Disser-E
Thermal
November 18, 2012
Duration of flight: 28 minutes 12 seconds (17 sec motor run already deducted)

I know I haven't posted anything in a while, but I'm still watching you guys. I know this isn't in the top flights for the month, but it was still pretty good for me. Between the weather and my work I haven't had much time to get out and fly.

The day yesterday was AWESOME. Clear and 25 deg when I got up and then in the mid 40's by 11:00 AM. Nice lift anywhere you looked for about an hour or so and then it just softly faded out to a warn clear afternoon. Just a nice day to be outside.

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone.

Murph
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:32 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
Those fall soaring days are just fantastic. Those days rank very high in 'favorites' list.
Good to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy it Murph.
I'm hoping that we will get a good day this weekend! wife gets to go shopping & I get to go soaring. Looks like a perfect compromise to me.

Martin
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Welcome back, Paul.

All entries are welcome and, since I don't plan on sending out the fabulous prizes until the middle of the next century, the benefits of topping the list are dubious. I'm just glad that so many of us are able to take advantage of the good flying weather. Winter will arrive eventually so these glorious fall days are a gift.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:40 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
Wind and rain is here. Might not get out again this month. On the other hand, I might go skiing.
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem