Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Contest
The November big sky international soaring contest

THE NOVEMBER BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am November 1 to 11:59 PM November 30 Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications, 2-meter and under E Gliders, Open class E Gliders and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - ELECTRIC THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - HAND LAUNCH THERMAL SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
This thread is for contest reports and for discussion about the contest only.
Contest Records:

2 Meter Class:
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open Class:
Palo Lishak (aka TENDER in RCGroups)
Glider name: supra Stork electric
Date and Time of flight: October 29th 2011, start of flight 15:50 CET
Duration of flight: 1:45:40 (11 s climb with motor)

Hand Launch:
Marin Rudolph (MMR)
Glider name: Arrow Legend DLG
Date and Time of flight:6/24/12 11:00AM
Duration of flight: 51:43

Slope:
Hunnerbunner
Duration: 2:33:14
Date: 4/26/11
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
This month's standings.

2 Meter:

Belem
Radian
11/10/12. 3pm
Sunny and calm
50:04 with 30 sec motor run

Peterlngh
Specter 1800
2 meter thermal
11/20/12 @12:30PM CST
44:40 minutes after a 10 second climb
West Saint Paul, Mn.

Mike Wheeler (vicrider)
Electric Wanderer
2 meter thermal
November 4, 2012 1:40 pm
26min 18sec (after 30 sec motor run)
Claremore, Oklahoma
max altitude 1054 ft.

Open Class:

Forest Flyer
Glider name: High Aspect 3.1 M
Thermal (open class)
November 24, 2012
Duration of flight: 61 minutes 27 seconds (20 second motor run deducted)

MrE
Bubble Dancer-Mirage (BD fuse, Mirage wing)
15 Nov 2012
30 minutes 52 seconds
45 deg F, mostly cloudy and light winds.

Forest Flyer
Glider name: High Aspect 3.1 M
Thermal
November 17, 2012
Duration of flight: 31 minutes 21 seconds ( 22 sec motor run already deducted)

Pilot: Paul Murphy
Glider name: Aspire Disser-E
Thermal
November 18, 2012
Duration of flight: 28 minutes 12 seconds (17 sec motor run already deducted)

Hand Launch:

Martin Rudolph (MMR)
Glider name: Aksent II DLG
Date and Time of flight:11/16/12 12:45PM
Duration of flight: 18:37

Titus ZA
BlackJack DLG
10/11/12 @11:00AM SAT
Duration of flight: 9min 36sec
Johannesburg, South Africa
max Altitude, not sure possibly 100m. no telemetry yet

Slope:

Paraskevas Hadjianastasiou (Friday)
Glider name: DF Weasel
Thermal or Slope: Slope
Date and Time of flight:11/17/12 14:02PM
Duration of flight: 00:29:34
Last edited by peterlngh; Nov 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Winter is closing in.

With winter closing in on the Northlands I hope our friends from the Southern Hemisphere pick up our slack. If not? Tell us about your builds and what you are doing to keep cabin fever at bay. As for myself; I will fly until the snow gets too deep to make it to the field.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:24 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,467 Posts
Threw a stick for the dog today, flew for about 5 secs, high winds heavy rain, no thermal!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
That's a dandy throw, Nigel. I managed about 8 seconds with my Yak trying to pull off Michael Wargo's trick of spinning down to a landing. I bent the gear a bit but no other damage.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:19 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,467 Posts
Shame about yr yak! Practice makes perfect though, if your field is as muddy as mine then at least the damage is limited with the soft ground.
Been playing with blaster 2 hours this morn, nice and calm unlike the forcast had said but no thermals as it was very overcast, just caught one thermal as it blew away from me it was very turbulant and dissapeared fast and then I had to fight to get her back to me, this was just as it started raining and after that the winds got up too and so I came home for a coffee!
So 2 mins was my best flight but I dont think it's worth putting up on the score board!
I still enjoyed myself though and the dog loved chasing the plane all round the field for ages-he's worn out now!
On a separate note I've ordered the 1/16 brushless beetle(car I know) from hk and I'm gonna try it on my a123 cells and my dx6i as I cant get the controls from uk warehouse, will try to tame it down with some expo and dual rates enough to play in my living room to relieve the winter boredom, I have a 1/10 truggy but that is too big and fast for inside.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
257 Posts
Mike Wheeler (vicrider)
Electric Wanderer
2 meter thermal
November 4, 2012 1:40 pm
26min 18sec (after 30 sec motor run)
Claremore, Oklahoma
max altitude 1054 ft.

It was a nice day out, 70 degrees. I had several flights before this one and couldnt get anything better then 11 minutes and decided to try one last flight. before heading for home. I found a decent thermal after a couple minutes and she went up fairly fast. I played around in that area for awhile before it died. Couldnt find anything after that so it was a struggle, but still happy with what I got.

One thing I found out today was yellow and white sucks at over a 1000 feet.
vicrider is online now Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Woo-hoo! 37 minutes with the Specter!! I'm on my way out for the evening but I'll give a full report later.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
It was a great day for thermals, here on the frozen tundra. 52 degrees with bright sun and a nice and steady 8mph breeze blowing straight off the freeway. I was able to sustain altitude by just treating the rising air from said freeway like it was a slope/ridge. When I get the right wind I really think my flying field is a bit unfair.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
Hunting for Goat Lifters
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
So this is my first post in this comp, not the greatest time but thought i would chip in.
So it was a fantastic day for the DLG, calm conditions with some really good temps. 28 degress C.

So headed out and enjoyed the peaceful time with mother nature providing my entertainment and relaxation. flew around with a hawk for some time and some other birds. Man what a great day.

BlackJack DLG
2 meter thermal
10/11/12 @11:00AM SAT
DLG
Johannesburg, South Africa
Duration of flight: 9min 36sec
max Altitude, not sure possibly 100m. no telemetry yet

Cheers
T
Titus ZA is offline Find More Posts by Titus ZA
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Thanks for the entry and welcome, Titus. With the change of seasons we are going to need more entries from the southern hemisphere. Over 9 minutes with a DLG sounds like a pretty long flight to me. Just one little issue.

I'm assuming that your Blackjack is hand launched? The 2 meter category is, strictly speaking, for electric powered gliders of 2 meter and smaller wing span. Let me know If I misunderstood you.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,467 Posts
Had a 7min 56sec dlg flight today, took some doing though, winter is setting in here in UK, very cold and winds going down the little hill so took me a good hour and half b4 I managed to hook a thermal, had another 5 min flight after that and then there was nothing again and winds got even more turbulant.
Not worth putting on the score board but still it's all good practice, I think my throwing is getting better, when I try hard I can get 1min and 20 secs dead air fairly consistently.
Still not sure I have the thing set up right though as I seem to lose more height in the turns now then I used to b4 I had to change a couple of servos and retrimmed out.and went to one cell lipo for rx.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:36 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
Belem
Radian
11/10/12. 3pm
Sunny and calm
50:04 with 30 sec motor run

Got out late today and didn't expect much in the cool air. First two flights were under 5 minutes then....boom. Up we went. Specked out in the first few minutes, even lost her for about 30 secs. Found her again and spent the next 20 minutes trying to keep her in sight. Lift gradually disappeared but the air was still as light as helium and I just did laps for the last 15 minutes. Magical.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:37 AM
Hunting for Goat Lifters
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Thanks Peterlngh. Yes the Blackjack is Hand launched, don't mind where you put it, however I understand now the 2m class. Off sloping today so lets see if I can post something worth while.

Cheers
T
Titus ZA is offline Find More Posts by Titus ZA
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:05 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,822 Posts
I was trimming my new Bubble Dancer-Mirage hybrid today and managed to get a little lift.

Open class
Bubble Dancer-Mirage (BD fuse, Mirage wing)
10 Nov 2012
19 minutes 26 seconds
42 deg F, mostly sunny and light winds.

MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE