HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yeah, i hear the 300X is pretty good for a $75-80 helicopter. Which is about all it's worth once you remove the Spektrum AR7200BX. I don't know if you can build one from parts for that cheap though. If you can, it's SO worth it. But i bet the parts are marked up a little higher. I've been thinking instead of buying my next AR7200BX i will just get a 300X and crash it, then put the BX on my V450D01. Maybe later upgrade the 300X to CNC parts or something. It would give me the opportunity to review the heli first hand at the least. But over all these new blade heli seem like excellent crashers! Meaning, cheap to fix and still flies great because of the excellent gyros they have. If you live in the US, i have no doubt, just because of the LHS support you can get and parts locally, etc. That as far as big helicopers go, i would rather go buy a 300X/450X then a v450D03, even if they cost 3X as much. I would still feel this way. But i've been badly scorned by Walkera on multiple occasions. So it's only natural to avoid them i think. It makes me wonder how these helicopters would do in sales if they were sold over seas in hong kong and other places. If Horizon established a home base over there and a warehouse i'm sure they could do quite well. If they would offer support and warranty from their local warehouse.
I crashed my 300X on the landing of the first flight

It wasn't too bad though - it's a simple machine so it was easy to fix, and I don't think the parts were too expensive, I just had trouble finding them because I crashed like, the next day after it was released so nobody had the parts in stock.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:03 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
noobiznessflying's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
just stumbled into this thread:

-best thing i ever did in this hobby was to sell off all of my walkera helis.
nuff said
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:13 PM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiznessflying View Post
just stumbled into this thread:

-best thing i ever did in this hobby was to sell off all of my walkera helis.
nuff said
That pretty much says it all. I am only flying my V450D01 right now because it is a very good airframe as long as you don't use Walkera electronics. Mine has good servos, a BeastX gyro and flies as well as any other 450 out there. Otherwise i am currently getting all of my other Walkera helicopters running for sale as we speak. All they do is sit on my shelf and if i fly anything other than the 450 i just crash it anyway. They can't hang in 3D. Even my V200 with a BeastX gyro just doesn't stand up to how well the bigger helicopters fly. So it's time to purge all of my past money pits and move on. I have done everything i can possibly do to make them viable and i have shared all of that information in my RCG blog. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=406282

I mostly fly my Gaui X5. But right now i have my sights set on getting a X7 or maybe a G700 or G770. Gaui is supposed to release two more new models this year after the release of the X4II this week. I'd be curious to see if they get into 800 class helicopters now. But as it sits i'm considering the X7 or 7HV as my next heli.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:26 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Commerce
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
I am looking for my first CP bird. I currently have a Wlakera Ladybird V1, and an MX400 quad. Both are bound to my Devo 7. I am debating between the V120D02S and the Master CP. From what I have read, the V120 is pretty stable, very durable, but only once you install the slipper clutch and repin the main gear. The Master CP seems to have the same reputation, but only once you replace the servos with metal gear versions. I like the bigger size of the Master...but I am lost.
Taddeo is offline Find More Posts by Taddeo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:47 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
I love walkera...Best helis i have ever flown, way better then align, Gaui, Goblin, ect..

I'm also a pathological LIAR !!



( crazy that this thread has been risen from the dead, the O.P was a prankster on the Prowl for Kdean )
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeo View Post
I am looking for my first CP bird. I currently have a Wlakera Ladybird V1, and an MX400 quad. Both are bound to my Devo 7. I am debating between the V120D02S and the Master CP. From what I have read, the V120 is pretty stable, very durable, but only once you install the slipper clutch and repin the main gear. The Master CP seems to have the same reputation, but only once you replace the servos with metal gear versions. I like the bigger size of the Master...but I am lost.
I'd go with the Master; it's newer and likely to be around longer. You are never going to get away from having to replace Walkera servos, so I wouldn't fret over it.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:35 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
This is a case of the experienced people being right, and we are correct regardless of how difficult it might be to convince others.
..
3. Constant turnover of the product line - the Walkera you buy today won't exist next month.
You're quite wrong there. Many newer Walkera helicopters are very good. Not particularly issue-free and point 3 is valid, but being cheap makes up for a lot here. If you are looking for performance, Walkera might not be for you though.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:46 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I love walkera...Best helis i have ever flown, way better then align, Gaui, Goblin, ect..

I'm also a pathological LIAR !!



( crazy that this thread has been risen from the dead, the O.P was a prankster on the Prowl for Kdean )
Its still a good thread for guys to share their thoughts. I used to love walkera, they afforded the oppertunity to get into flybarless cp helis and not be broke. Then, after dealing with constant "lock outs" with the 2702v rx's, i got very frustrated because i had to spend alot on repairing the trex clones i was using them in. I still fly all my models with a 2801pro tx, and still fly the original V400 (though upgraded and modded). Walkera helis have taught me alot, even with it weaknesses. Im very causious about walkera, or any new products on the market, and now that i've found things that work for me i dont make any hasty purchases. One thing about walkera, they always have something new coming out, which is good. But customer beta testing is no good, especialy with no return policy. I still love walkera, and looking at upgrading to the devo 12/8 with deviation, but im letting other guys do the beta testing.

What ever happened to "harryseeds" or whatever his handle was for the day?
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:59 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
Kdean: i think he got pop'ed for pushing roids. ( keep pic in mind) ha
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:06 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
You're quite wrong there.
I guess you missed the part where I said I was correct even though you quoted it?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:49 AM
IHW Heli Division
IntegrityHndywrk's Avatar
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeo View Post
I am looking for my first CP bird. I currently have a Wlakera Ladybird V1, and an MX400 quad. Both are bound to my Devo 7. I am debating between the V120D02S and the Master CP. From what I have read, the V120 is pretty stable, very durable, but only once you install the slipper clutch and repin the main gear. The Master CP seems to have the same reputation, but only once you replace the servos with metal gear versions. I like the bigger size of the Master...but I am lost.
Okay, first of all.. this thread is about NOT BUYING WALKERA HELICOPTERS. LOL.

That being said. Both of those helicopters you mentioned will cost you 3x what a Trex 250 DFC will cost you after ownership for a year. Walkera helicopters ARE BUILT to break. It's job security for them.

Like jasmine said. This is a topic where the most experienced people are correct. The fact of the matter is that Walkera makes really bad gyros for 3D helicopters. They can not compete with Blade's helicopters sporting BeastX gyros. They don't even really compete with Blade's AS3X gyro. So over all Walkera DOES NOT MAKE 3D helicopters. They make mediocre CP helicopters. These reasons i mentioned are, in my opinion, the very reason why Walkera has shifted their focus mainly to new multirotor platforms and FPV. Which i also do not trust and would bet good money that any other quad brand is better. But at least the new MX400S comes with brushless motors, unlike the older MX400 with brush motors that go bad and need to be replaced periodically. I have not seen the MX400S for sale in the USA yet. But if your going to stick with walkera. Stick with the multirotors. Because the actually make those half way decent. You know, because it's hard to exert and stress a quad in flight. Unlike a 3D helicopter. So Walkera does pretty good with quads and scale models.

So here is the course of action i will recommend for you... Hack your Devo 7e with Deviation firmware so you can use DSM2 and DSMX protocols. Then go buy yourself a 130X from the link below. Once you add it to your cart you will see the actual price of $199. It includes the metal upgrade tail gears. So you won't need a slipper clutch. Metal gears don't strip. The 130X main gear is WAY more durable than the V120D02S. The V120D02S uses a weak 1S motor and battery. The 130X is 2S stock out of the box. It will have more power, bog less, fly better because it has a better gyro and over all be more durable. Pass on the master CP. It's a flying joke of a helicopter. Anything that big or bigger with a motor driven tail rotor and no CP controls is just a toy. It will hover and it will fly. But don't expect much performance out of it. It's heavy as hell and flips like a Sherman tank.


http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ree-Bonus-Pack


Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
You're quite wrong there. Many newer Walkera helicopters are very good. Not particularly issue-free and point 3 is valid, but being cheap makes up for a lot here. If you are looking for performance, Walkera might not be for you though.
Sounds like to me that you just said "If your looking for something incapable of 3D... You came to the right place!"

Either way your right. Walkera's CPs are only capable of flying. Thats about it. You can do that with a FP heli.

I don't think there is a single Walkera Helicopter that is even acceptably "decent" for 3D. The only people that would say such a thing either are selling Walkera helicopters or have no idea what it's like to own a REAL "very good" 3D helicopter like a Compass, Gaui, Align, SAB, Mikado, MSH, Synergy, half of the "clone" brands like Tarot and Alzrc, and you know what. I'm going to even throw Blade in that list for their new "pro series". Even though Blade's micros and regular non "pro-series" helicopters, especially since 2011, still beat Walkera these days. Unless the race is to see which helicopter will fail first and hit the dirt. Then your right. Walkera is "very good" at producing defective new spare parts, gyros, electronics of all kinds and their servos... I haven't seen anything worse yet. It should be illegal to even sell their 450 and bigger sizes. Just because they are unsafe and likely to give you a face full of 450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I guess you missed the part where I said I was correct even though you quoted it?
Your not correct.... Because i say so. I only say so because i have spent my hard earned money on Walkera products. It's been a substantial investment and i can't stand to hear people talk bad about this brand. Because god forbid it's actually true after all the money i spent trying to learn how to fly with Walkera. Because if it's true that Walkera sucks. That would mean it was the helicopter's fault i crashed all those times and i was too inexperienced to know why i crashed in the first place.


Of course that is a crazy high level of sarcasm. The real fact is this. Since March of 2012 i have been buying, flying, fixing, upgrading and modifying Walkera helicopters. Some of which i knew about the issues but thought "surely it's not THAT bad". Some of the models like the V120D05 and 4f200 were so bad i couldn't believe it. But in reality. I bought the D05 as a "pet project". Since everyone claimed it was incapable of 3D. Talking about how bad the helicopter would be. I aimed to change that. The custom upgraded V120d05 ended up costing me over $500 on it's own. This is not an exaggeration. But right now that helicopter flies just as good as my V120D02S and is basically a hybrid D02S because of the parts i am using for the upgrade. I also upgraded the V450D01 and V200D03. All of these helicopters were just a flying train wreck waiting to happen. But now they are pretty decent heli. The way they fly is a world of difference compared to stock.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=406282
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Apr 27, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:05 AM
Registered User
United States, MI, Commerce
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
While I will have to take your word on the normal helo stuff, I will have to say you are wrong about the MX400/400s line. The MX400 has always been brushless. I have an original MX400, with the tri-blade props and its powered by for brushless out runners right from the factory. The MX400s and the QR X400 are both onsale with two blade props, but still out runner motors.
Taddeo is offline Find More Posts by Taddeo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:08 AM
Registered User
United States, MI, Commerce
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
I like the link you included, however Deviation doesn't work with the Devo 7. The last time I inquired, they had no intention to support it.
Taddeo is offline Find More Posts by Taddeo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:21 AM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
I dont agree with the statment that "walkera helis are not for 3D". I know as pilots starting to get into 3D will find that walkeras will not hold up to our noobie punishment. But in the right hands, with the right mods, walkeras can do 3D.

Check out some of the vids on this youtube channel

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=buildem336

He does alot of demo flying for wowhobbies. He even has a nice 3D vid with a X5 using the 2702v.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
You're quite wrong there. Many newer Walkera helicopters are very good. Not particularly issue-free and point 3 is valid, but being cheap makes up for a lot here. If you are looking for performance, Walkera might not be for you though.
But even point no. 3. (constant churning) may out of date. No new heli has been released this year except a specialized 100 sized coaxial for FPV. There were only a few heli releases last year. Walkera has been very quiet compared to Blade. It seems to be going full out for FPV and quads.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion thoughts on walkera 59#dq celm Mini Helis 0 Jul 17, 2010 03:21 PM
Discussion thoughts on Walkera 4G1B for 2nd heli KenSmith Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 4 Feb 23, 2010 02:10 PM
Your Thoughts on The Walkera Dragonfly 36 Zoom T450 RC Helicopter theduke Mini Helis 15 Nov 02, 2007 10:09 PM
Discussion Thoughts on Walkera 52 from the experts RajiBoy Micro Ready-to-Fly 1 Jun 05, 2007 06:36 PM