HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Not sure how well it would work on deans, but on large bullets I use a mini butane torch to heat things up:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062753
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:52 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
As someone said already, that is a big wire for a deans connector but with the right tools it is possible with a little practice. I got a soldering station off Ebay made by Xtronic - yes its made in China but the company is owned and operated in the US with GREAT customer service. About $110 so it won't break the bank. I use the hot air for many other things than soldering as well.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:09 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
a tip on soldering Deans is to put BOTH connectors together. what i mean is you should have a male and female Deans connector. put them together and then solder on your battery wires. this way the male connector keeps the female side from deforming from the heat.

so as not to confuse, use a male Deans connector that is NOT attached to any wires!! just a spare one works great.
hoghead5150 is online now Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:14 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,914 Posts
Big thing with the gun is to let the tip heat up till it smokes before you apply it to the wires/Deans. Tin both first, then hold the wire on the Deans, heat the tip till it smokes then put the tip to the wire first as it's going to absorb most of the heat. Push it down onto the Deans. When it gets hot enough it will melt the solder to the Deans. Yeah. Don't forget the heatshrink first.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:45 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
a tip on soldering Deans is to put BOTH connectors together. what i mean is you should have a male and female Deans connector. put them together and then solder on your battery wires. this way the male connector keeps the female side from deforming from the heat.

so as not to confuse, use a male Deans connector that is NOT attached to any wires!! just a spare one works great.
That just melts both connectors if you don't have enough heat and doesn't really do anything if you have enough heat to begin with.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:57 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,914 Posts
That's right. It's just what you don't want, adding another heatsink. Big thing is to do it quick, on and off, with lots of heat with the gun/iron.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
Like many other guys, the problem is probably from your equipment. I ended up buying a 45watt iron with a chisel tip and BAM...solved the problem instantly. Soldered all my dean connectors and I couldn't even pull them off with quite some force. I was so happy then i realized i forgot to slide the heat shrink tubing on...SON OF A...lol oh well, gave more more practice i suppose
Yes, but were you soldering 10 ga. wire?
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:22 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Yes, but were you soldering 10 ga. wire?
I"ve done some 10 gauge with my 50W iron. It's a little borderline though. I have to turn it all the way to it's max temp setting. I'm considering getting one of those Weller 85W irons for the occasional really big wire job.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:21 AM
USA, NC, Hope Mills
Joined Jan 2010
256 Posts
If your looking for a new soldering tool do yourself a favor and get one of this ones. A Weller WES51, it will take care of all your soldering problems and it will last for years, plus it has auto shut off. I have one and I use it to solder 8awg cables and 8mm bullets once I thinned everything it takes less than 45 seconds to get everything solder with a professional finish. There's plenty of stations around but with a Weller everything is replaceable and easy to find.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=84693762108
Gamalier is offline Find More Posts by Gamalier
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,593 Posts
There is another method for those of you who are having trouble with the larger wire size. This method also produces a much cleaner joint.

Get some 6.5 mm bullet connectors Good for 13 to 8 ga.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJJ0&P=ML

Use a dremel tool, or whatever you have, and cut a slot in the bullet big enough to accept the Deans tab.

Solder your wire into the bullet as you normally would, then slip the bullet slot, that you just cut, over the Deans tab and solder that.

This makes the soldering much easier and makes a nice smooth joint.

Oh yea, Don't forget the shrink tube. How many times have we done that!

Here is a little sketch.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
There is another method for those of you who are having trouble with the larger wire size. This method also produces a much cleaner joint.

Use a dremel tool, or whatever you have, and cut a slot in the bullet big enough to accept the Deans tab.

Solder your wire into the bullet as you normally would, then slip the bullet slot, that you just cut, over the Deans tab and solder that.

This makes the soldering much easier and makes a nice smooth joint.

Oh yea, Don't forget the shrink tube. How many times have we done that!

Here is a little sketch.
So add $2 for the cost of the bullet, plus what you already paid for the deans, spend the time doing multiple solder joints... hum I think it's time one just moves on to a more user friendly connector type.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:37 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
364 Posts
For 10ga and thicker just heavily tin the wire and cut the slot in the wire. Forget about the bullet. I use a weller soldering gun and can solder 8ga onto deans this way.
lrb75 is online now Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:50 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i use a hakko soldering station. works fantastic, and parts are easy to find if needed. had this one a year with no troubles. it'll solder pretty much anything you want (or need) to do!

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Solderin.../dp/B004M3U0VU
hoghead5150 is online now Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:35 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,390 Posts
Quote:

Alternatively, on large guage wire, skip the bullet and after you tin the end of the wire, use the dremmel to cut the slot directly into the wire end. Works great.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:07 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Or skip the Deans and just use bullets!

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H