SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
Discussion
What happens if you put a .90 2-stroke in a 60 size plane?

I've always wondered when looking at the .60 2-stroke or .91 4-stroke engine requirements on various planes if you could just say "whatever!" and put a .91 2-stroke in it and grunt like Tim Allen. Does anyone do that?
Darkenor is offline Find More Posts by Darkenor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:30 AM
RC Addict
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkenor View Post
I've always wondered when looking at the .60 2-stroke or .91 4-stroke engine requirements on various planes if you could just say "whatever!" and put a .91 2-stroke in it and grunt like Tim Allen. Does anyone do that?
More Power!!
rmsingh is offline Find More Posts by rmsingh
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,498 Posts
Everyone does it. Sometimes I have seen pilots waiting for the tank to run dry because the idle isn't low enough, and more than one wing fold up because of the extra speed/weight.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:19 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,091 Posts
My son ended up swapping out the .40 engine in his Rite Flyer 40 trainer for a 1.08 but had to set it back about 3" to keep the balance correct. It flew beautifully . I might add that airspeed didn't change because he used a prop pitch (6") that didn't allow high airspeed so there was no problem with overstressing the airframe.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Everyone does it. Sometimes I have seen pilots waiting for the tank to run dry because the idle isn't low enough, and more than one wing fold up because of the extra speed/weight.
Neat!

That shouldn't make me laugh, or smile, but it kind of does. Thanks for the info.
Darkenor is offline Find More Posts by Darkenor
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,099 Posts
Besides the higher idle airspeed, a nose heavy aircraft is harder to flair on landing.
706jim is online now Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:56 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,332 Posts
Well you get more power that is for sure.
But you may have to make changes to get the CG to come out OK.
Also propeller clearance can be a issue if the engine needs to turn a large diameter prop, as some planes don't have enough ground clearance.
Some planes could be affected by the additional power and larger prop causing more torque roll to the left too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:01 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,305 Posts
I always try to select an engine that is heavy enough to balance the CG W/O adding ballst in the nose.

That usually means MORE POWER!
SrTelemaster is online now Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:44 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,478 Posts
I can say this! "the 61fx is within a couple oz's of the 91fx" they are physicaly the same size!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:07 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
I can say this! "the 61fx is within a couple oz's of the 91fx" they are physicaly the same size!
Then a 180 Saito 4-stoke seems in order!
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:36 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,332 Posts
I should mention that there are practical limits to how large of a engine one can use. The wing loading can go up considerably turning a plane into something more like trying to fly a brick or the Space Shuttle. Having to take off and land with air speeds over 100 mph for a RC model airplane might be more than a flyer might want to do.

But for modern .60 (10cc) engine size planes, usually one can go up to a 1.20 or 20cc engine OK as people have been putting up to 1.20 size four stroke engines in their planes for a long time without much hassle. Thus a .91 size or 15cc size engine is not a problem. But if the .60 size plane is a old design from many years ago before Schnuerle engines became popular, it can be a problem as the early .60 size planes weren't all that big but more like .45 size planes are today.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, CA, Rosamond
Joined Jul 2008
16 Posts
I sent you a PM.
Alorek is offline Find More Posts by Alorek
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkenor View Post
YES!!!
OS 91FX in the space reserved for a 65AX = Superb fun
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:39 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
626 Posts
No probs . Infact this should be regarded as normal practice . Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:07 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I should mention that there are practical limits to how large of a engine one can use. The wing loading can go up considerably turning a plane into something more like trying to fly a brick or the Space Shuttle. Having to take off and land with air speeds over 100 mph for a RC model airplane might be more than a flyer might want to do.

My take is that if ballast is eliminated by a larger engine, the net weight of the aircraft is still the same as W/the smaller engine Wballast.

As long as the structural factor of the airframe is not exceeded there is no negative affect.