Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
+1 You make it look easy
Quagga is offline Find More Posts by Quagga
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments. Going smoothly till now, hope it stays that way.
Harare is offline Find More Posts by Harare
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,574 Posts
I built mine 3 years ago, but made it electric right off the start. Great flyer!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424384

Wish I had seen this thread earlier, I would have mentioned to go with electric retracts as the manuals are a real pain.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Hi Xanadu

I did not expect the retracts to be easy as I had read your build on the RCCanda site. I was thinking how similar it looked to the link you just posted, so I had to check. As I had read it was such a pain I checked all the builds with retracts and planned it ahead. It went very smoothly when I expected the worst.

Nice build by the way it really inspired me to do nicely, I have all the photos downloaded so I can double check against the manual when uncertain.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,574 Posts
Glad to hear the retracts went well, thanks for the comments. I did not fly it as much this summer, so she is overdue to play catch up when spring rolls around.

Great idea with the beer bottle! Workd well since the bottom was tapered.
Last edited by Xanadu; Dec 27, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:47 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,574 Posts
Little bit of a teaser for what to look forward to.

Sweet Thing 2 maiden flight(1/2) (1 min 25 sec)

Sweet Thing 2 maiden flight(2/2) (0 min 15 sec)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
That does look like fun. However I just got an RC sim and I think I will practice a lot more. I have plugged it into the ground on uncountable occasions in just a couple of hours, if even that.

Anyway I have started on the fuselage but its not very exciting photo shoots. The first photo is of a triangle that I stuck on the wrong side and had to cut off. Pretty dumb after I doubled checked it and still did it wrong.

The rest are photos of the fuselage gluing and are pretty self explanatory. In clamping in the bulkhead there was quite a lot of torsion with out sticking the fuselage firmly to the work bench (locally know as the kitchen table). Luckily after it was all in place and the clamps and magnets removed it stayed put with no torsion.

The next step is to fuel proof the inside of fuel tank compartment and the bulkhead. At the moment the screw heads in the bulkhead are loose as per the plan but I think I will epoxy them in as one has fallen out already. I saw on other builds that they were glued in so not sure why it is not mentioned in the GP manual.

Last but not least was a surprise action photo when I wasn't paying attention.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,574 Posts
If you have never flown a rc before than I strongly urge you to buy a small trainer to start with. For $90 US, you can get a great little trainer from Horizon Hobby called a "Champ".http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900
Comes a RTF, all you need to do is charge the battery with the provided charger.

Great flyer, built well, and will survive many crashes as it has little mass being so light. it will help you learn all the basics to at least start with.
The sim is good as it gets you used to controls, etc, but real life handeling is quite different.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Hello,

I found a big box of balsa under the Christmas tree as a trainer. It is a SIG lt-40 trainer. What I have read about it seems to be all very positive. We will see in a couple of months. I will probably build and cover that before I try covering the p51.

I really don't want to buy charges and all the extras for an electric trainer.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:02 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harare View Post
Hello,

I found a big box of balsa under the Christmas tree as a trainer. It is a SIG lt-40 trainer. What I have read about it seems to be all very positive. We will see in a couple of months. I will probably build and cover that before I try covering the p51.

I really don't want to buy charges and all the extras for an electric trainer.
I understand the purchase if extras like chargers etc, that is why I mentioned the Champ. It comes complete with TX, plane, battery, and charger...all in one. Just something cheaper to help you hone your skills.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Hello,

Anyway it has been a busy few weeks with family and stuff. I still managed to get stuff done in the down time. The wings have been connected to the fuselage. The plans called for tapping the woods with nylon bolts provided in the kit. Unfortunately they are imperial and I have no idea where to get imperial thread cutters and taps in the Netherlands. I got some metric bolts at the hobby store and decided to use blind nuts at the same time.

In the mean while some small stuff has been added like the control rod tubes through the fuselage and epoxying of the firewall and fuel tank compartment. I might have over done it a bit as the epoxy seems to have penetrated all the way through one side of the fuselage. In the first and fifth photo a wet spot can be seen, this is the epoxy that was gone all the way through.

The next step is to build up the top of the fuselage for all the nice curves. This is done after mounting the wing as the flat top of the half built fuselage made it nice and easy to measure the wing angles and incidence. Hope I did it all correctly but time will tell. The top is built of 1/4" stringers and sheeting so its pretty time consuming waiting for the glue to dry after each step. Handy for the during the holidays.

I will get the top built up and sanded this weekend leaving me to start on the cowl and motor mount. That looks like a lot of work but we will see.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
The top of the fuselage has been more or less finished. It took less time and work then expected. The front and rear of the fuselage are nice and rounded and its beginning to look like something. It all needs a final sanding still but for the most part a couple of hours of sanding and planning has gotten all the rough and sharp edges off.

The sides of the fuselage around the front and cockpit are made of really thin balsa due to the sharp bends. This means I have broken a bit off the one side of the cockpit will sanding and handling . That is very annoying but as its so fragile I will not fix it until I start covering.

The different parts of the fuselage are nicely blended together now. The final sanding includes the rounding off the bottom of the fuselage. I am bored of sanding so will do that another time. Probably after the nose is built on.

The next step in the book is the nose but I think I will do the blending of the wing into the fuselage first. This involves a block of balsa on the from of the wing and a built up structure on the back. In order to work on the wing I used some old piping to make a stand. Now that the top isn't flat it is hard to balance upside down.

I seem to be missing a piece of balsa for the nose as the top piece should be symmetrical and it is not. This is only an assumption as there are no pictures in the book or on the plan on the shape of it.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:39 AM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Anyway I have started with the bottom of the wing boxes to blend into the fuselage. The manual mentioned the front block should be just shaped a bit and filled in with filler to make it neat. I thought it should be possible to get a nice tight fit but I was wrong. After lots of sanding, filing chiseling and using highlighters on the epoxy to mark high spots on the block it still didn't work. So i just took the advice and cut a lot and will fill it in.

The box at the back of the wing was a lot easier but it needs to be glued onto the epoxy layer so I hope it will stay stuck. I used medium CA to glue it and it seems well stuck. Just to be sure I will make a fillet of epoxy with microballons when I fill up the front block. The holes for the wing bolts have also been added but I do not have a photo of them.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Hello,

Anyway its been a bit busy at work so I haven't felt like posting anything. At the same time the building has been going a bit slow due to all the details. To catch up I have posted a bunch of stuff. I installed the fuel tank and the throttle control but not much to show.

Next step was to fix the wing front and back wing fairing using some epoxy and microballons. I used this as the wood glue and thick CA didn't stick as well as I liked on the glass fiber epoxy. It also filled in the gaps and made a nice fillet.

After that the cowl was started. The top is made of wood and the bottom has a plastic cap. It took a lot of sanding with a little help from a plane to get the nice round shape. The next step was to connect the plastic cowl, I saw somewhere on the site the use of magnets so i decided to do the same. It worked out nicely but was a pain to get it right. Unfortunately the carburetor gets in the way so it doesn't settle nicely. A hole needs to be cut for air but the carburetor needs one in not the place designed for so it wont look very good. I took it off to check the fit and it looks good. I will cut the holes as a later stage when I cut the exhaust ports.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
This was the last stuff done and not posted, the wing fairings. This was a big pain as I didn't know the best way to do it. It seemed a waste to so much filler to shape it so I used all the long scrap balsa I had from the build to make rectangular blocks that I could shape.

I glued a couple together and before they were dry, taped them to the wing to get a shape. After that a doubled the thickness on the dried pieces. The next step was a lot of planing and sanding to get a triangle first and then a groove down the middle. It turned out pretty good I suppose but was a lot of work and will need some fillers to finish the back and front.

The building is nearly done now. The tail pieces need to be glued on but I need an incidence meter to get the angles right. I did the wing with measurements some trigonometry but my table is not big enough to measure the wings and tail. I could do it on the floor but the kids and cats are not good for accuracy.