SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Hi Stinker

Thanks for letting me know that its a good flier. Don't want to destroy my kit to quickly. That is also the reason I didn't get a 4 stroke, I can always change engines after I can actually fly it. I will still be building a trainer after this to learn to fly.

The retracts are nearly done now, its slow going as it is fiddly work and I have to much work to bring in the evenings still. The last part of the retracts is to connect the rods to the servo. I wanted a tight fitting rod and tube but the servo rotation is to much for the wire. I guess I will have to get a slot in the rib for the movement of the wire.

The other servos I had used thicker and higher servo arms so I swapped one of them for the retract servo to get enough clearance. The splines did not fit to well but a used a piece of paper to fill it in which makes it nice and tight. I can not test the servo yet as it sticks out the top of the wing, like in the plans. This means only after the wings are joined, sheeted and glassed together will it be possible to be 100% certain all the angles are correct. That will be a stressful moment . I will clean up the holes for the servo when mounting the rails some time soon.
Harare is offline Find More Posts by Harare
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Progress is pretty good so far but not much picture worthy happenings. I have sheeted both sides of the wings and added the rib caps. A rough sanding of the LE and TE is due to happen soon. At the same time I will be cutting back the sheeting for the retracts to come out again.

Next major stage is to glue the wings together unfortunately there is still the 1mm gap at the front of the ribs I have to fix. I was planning on gluing some sheeting to the front of each rib and then sanding them flat with the rear section.

I have two questions namely, is filling and sanding the best choice. Secondly the wings are to be glued with epoxy but what should use for the filling sheet? I cant imagine wood glue over such a wide area would tear off but that would also be my opinion on the entire wings being glued together.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
No advice on the win joining yet but still enough to do.

Started cutting the holes for the retracts on the sheeting. One of the wings had not bonded properly to the rib near the retract mechanism, I think the tape slipped or the weight shifted. No worries, i glued it the rib through the opening for the retract. If it had of been a closed wing I would never have noticed.

The second wing was luckily all well glued so I finished that off, see the photos below. It worked out a lot easier than I expected, I was worried about getting a nice round hole but luckily my beer gave me an idea. I will only fill in the wheel wells once the wings are joined and the servo is connected else I wont be able to reach the push rods.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
I filled in the front gap of the ribs with some balsa and sanded it all flat. The ribs fit nicely together now over the whole length. Both wings have had a rough sanding and the LE and TE are shaped.

The wings are now permanently joined with epoxy. The next step was to glue the bits at the TE that hold the control rods, the technical term is beyond me.

Now I have to glass the wings together. The last time I did this was as a teenager on a home made boat. It ended one huge ugly and rough mess. So I am not particularly looking forward to it. The epoxy is pretty thick and not very inviting. Guess there is not much else to do but give it a try.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Well the next step was to fibreglass the wings togethor, but as I am not looking forward to doing that I decided to get some other parts on the wing done.

First was cutting the ailerons to length and sanding the V into it. After that holes for the control rods were made and the TE at the ends of the wing. Next step was to turn the huge square blocks into wing tips. After a lot of measuring marking and sawing I got to the rough hewn shape. After that a lot of sanding was needed to get them to the proper shape. It was not as bad as I thought it would be but it did make a huge amount of sawdust and fine dust.

The wing tips are now glued on and drying, they still need a final sanding to the exact size of the rest of the wing but that will be done at a later date I guess.

It will be a busy week at work the next 10 days so hopefully I will get the wings glassed together but I doubt it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Finished sanding the wingtips to fit the wing, feels very smooth.

Had to compare the size to my eldest daughter.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:14 AM
Nederland, Noord-Holland, Krommenie
Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
Sacrifice a Cub

Hoi Harare

Firstly I want to compliment your neat work: I find it inspiring.

As a South-African living in the Netherlands, I wonder whether you are originally from Zim? Anyway, I would urge you to find a sacrificial trainer and to save the 'stang for later. Personally I trained on a HobbyZone Super Cub and a Multiplex FunCub (both tail-draggers, like the Mustang). During my first months every single landing would have totalled a nice balsa plane like yours...

How are you planning to approach it?

Thanks for sharing your project, I'm looking forward to see it completed.
Quagga is offline Find More Posts by Quagga
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Hi Quagga

I am indeed Zimbabwean born and living in the Netherlands for the last several years. I have also lived in Jo'burg for several years before coming here. Had google on Quagga as it was so familiar, did you choose it so you did't need some bob1990 username or for another reason.

Anyway back to the question, I am planning on building a SIG kadet LT40, SIG kadet mark II or a Robbe Charter after this as a trainer. Preferably it would be the LT40 as it is bigger than the mark II and the Chartres all seem electric out of the new kits. However I can't seem to find it any where for sale here in the Netherlands. I am in no rush though too find one as I still have a long way to go on the current build.

At the moment I think building is more fun than flying but as I have not flown anything its not well founded and is subject to change.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
Building + Flying = The coolest hobby ever

HAHAHAH Bob1990? Shouldn't that be Bob1924? Yeah, a crazy friend started calling me Quagga on our way to Oppikoppi in 2000. He started as we drove past Kwaggasrand (near Danville) never stopped the whole weekend and it kinda stuck.

Anyway, I would still recommend getting a disposable cheap trainer OR going for the buddy-box system with an instructor. Personally I'm too pig-headed/proud for the last option, so I just went for trail by error. On the other hand.... having a fragile plane might just inspire you to be careful Where are you planning to fly? I live out among the Polders in Nothern-Holland (and coincidentaly work in The Hague) and I joined a club after getting fed up with farmers chasing off their land... Perhaps you should get hold of a R/C flight sim and practise on your computer? Personally I use Phoenix and it has saved me fists full of money. It is also nice to be able to "fly" at home, at night, etc.

Building is almost as much fun as flying, but building is a slow burn, while flying is an explosion (of foam bits in my case) ... Totally different experiences, making this one of the coolest hobbies ever.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
I couldn't think of his birth date. That is quite a trip to work, my wife works at Tata in Ijmeiden.

I also looked into the cheap polystyrene trainers but they all seem to be electrical. My house is so full of crap already I don't want to have to get all extra charges and stuff. There is also a freeware RC sim that I have downloaded but I still need to get a usb cable to connect to my computer. Lots of big plans but not much action.

There is a club close, Zoetermeer, by here that I was planning joining or preferably at the old military base in Leiden as that is near my work. Once again many plans but not much action
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
You'll get there, no rush
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
I ordered some normal epoxy to fiberglass, instead of the thick z-poxy stuff. At the same time I got some microballons for fillets and stuff like advised on the airfieldmodels site. I really like the tips there. However its a huge pot I never expected it to be so light, I got the smallest weight which was 250 grams.

Guess ill have to make humongous fillets.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Last night the wings where fiber glassed together. It worked very well but has left a rough surface. I have previously lathered on the epoxy to get a smooth finish (on repairs of boats and cars) but guess that is not good for the weight of the wing.

Should I smooth out the surface using the loads of micro balloons and more epoxy or use a wood filler?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
54 Posts
Hello all,

Been a busy week at work which fitted with all the slow gluing this week. I filled in the weave with epoxy and micro balloons. Its not 100% smooth but I don't see the point of putting a thick layer on to make it glass smooth.

The retract servo and aileron servo have also been installed. The retracts work smoothly in one go which made me happy. Now I just need to fill in the wheel wells which I will postpone for a while. I will wait till I have a free day so it can be completed in one go.

The ailerons work neatly as well, they still need to be set to the correct throw as they are a bit much. There is no hurry though as I guess that can only be done once the hinges are glued in.

This evening I finished the last 2 steps on the wing for now. These were simply drilling holes for the dowels into the fuselage and the bolting plate to the TE.

Now I get to start on the fuselage, wondering whether this is a different building technique but we will see.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:55 PM
Love To Fly Anything!!
United States, NY, Conklin
Joined Mar 2011
92 Posts
doing a great job keep up the good work!!
tomupstateny is offline Find More Posts by tomupstateny