yes.... You can....

Once.... :-0
f82fan is offline Find More Posts by f82fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
284 Posts
We hand tossed mine a few times to get a rough idea of how she felt, then hooked it up to my buddy's FunCub. First few tows were frightening. The little glider was like a kite with no tail behind the cub. We slowed down - we steepened the climb - dropped flaps to slow down more. Finally, to get some flying time on the glider, we just dragged it up brutally to 150 feet and released. The glider acted tail-heavy. We moved the battery as far forward as we could (a whole 3/16 inch) and had to add some down-trim. After that, everything mellowed out completely.

Tows were smooth with the glider taking position slightly above the tug. We still had to slow the FunCub down about as much as possible to keep everything under control. I had one really nice flight of several minutes with a loop thrown in for the heck of it. next flying session will be thermal- hunting but so far, very happy with the little ASK-21.
Thom
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,614 Posts
Hey Thom. Keep us informed on your experiences with the little guy. I'm not sure if I should get a carbon cub before the ASK .?
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:13 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,086 Posts
I have both ... the UMX Cub is the perfect partner to this cutie!

Get them both, the Cub is a ball by itself
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2009
284 Posts
Hey Dave. The glider will be versatile. As I mentioned, we towed behind a FunCub. Others in the club have used the little CarbonCub. I also plan to stiffen the wings a little (tape leading edge, etc) and throw it off a hill.
T
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:20 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,497 Posts
What a cute little plane the ASK21 is. Weather too crappy to do much other than a couple of hand tosses yesterday morning before the rain set in, but it was straight and true. Carbon Cub is gonna come next.
JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:19 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
I have a drop box on the bottom of my FunCub that's used to take up my micro-diver freefalls skydiver that I removed from the bottom, and placed it ontop over the CG, and we made a few little foam pads that we taped to the box and put the ASK-21 fuselage in and strapped the release cord over the top. I've powered my FunCub with way too much power so I climbed vertically with the ASK on the top and released the glider high enough that we could just make out orientation and it was great fun. No thermals that day but on the better days the park is full of them so we'll have to wait for a better day and go again.

I did see a power pod on YouTube that falls away on release and comes down with a small chute. Anyone know how to make something like this??

E-Flite UMX ASK-21 Glider Power Pod Upgrade in HD By: rcinformer (8 min 50 sec)
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:58 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,763 Posts
I've scored some spares from some non repairable UMX Beasts so I'm going to build 2 pods, one for me and one for a buddy. I'll do a small blog for those interested.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:13 AM
Joined Oct 2009
284 Posts
Cuda, Great pics!
T
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Quincy Fl 80 degrees today

Well the little beasty will thermal. Got a 10 minute soaring flight from the little high start. Most of the hour and a half was spent doing 15 to 30 second flights.

Loops are fun spins are a bit scary but fun. The wings do flex on high speed pullouts. Spring will be in your area soon so be patient and don't break it flying in your back yard.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:09 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
2,973 Posts
Yea, it will thermal. I think folks think it wont because he AS3X dampens the actions that we normally look at to spot lift like pitching up or a wing tip kicking up.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
Yea, it will thermal. I think folks think it wont because he AS3X dampens the actions that we normally look at to spot lift like pitching up or a wing tip kicking up.
It does dampen a little but the dampening doesn't occur fast enough to cancel the signs of lift. Wish I would have thought to try it with the AS3X turned off. Maybe next time. It sure would extend battery time.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633