SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
BigSwede and I had some aerotow fun today, using his Cessna 180 as a tow plane. The other glider is a Scorpio Habicht by the way (a bit of a handful on tow, but it floated surprisingly well once released).
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
865 Posts
well i flew it on tow behind the cub ;you need to keep tow plane in a very shallow climb and the speed up or the glider cant stay above it than tow line pushes the tow planes elevator down and you need to release. I also used the high start it works and it gets good hight . It was way to windy to fly it so i cant say i got any kind of good times but after 5 tows and 4 high start launches its all in one piece. lol I'm looking forward to a very light brease hot thermal day it will be a lot of fun.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:33 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Was this the Carbon Cub? Sounds like it might be a bit underpowered. We were having the opposite problem with the Mountain Models C180 tow plane. We actually had to keep the climb angle fairly step in order to keep the airspeed down.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:38 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrx1113 View Post
well i flew it on tow behind the cub ;you need to keep tow plane in a very shallow climb and the speed up or the glider cant stay above it than tow line pushes the tow planes elevator down and you need to release. I also used the high start it works and it gets good hight . It was way to windy to fly it so i cant say i got any kind of good times but after 5 tows and 4 high start launches its all in one piece. lol I'm looking forward to a very light brease hot thermal day it will be a lot of fun.
I am glad to hear that the tow has to be flown in a scale manner. I hate seeing RC aerotow being done where the tug is going up like a rocket and dragging the glider up with it. I flew full scale gliders most of my life, and I love looking up and seeing an RC tow with a nice scale climb angle.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,704 Posts
I am very interested to hear how this performs as a thermal hunter.
I am worried that the gyro stabilization will mask the thermal signs.
But it sure looks like fun zooming around after a tow!
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:19 PM
So that's how you throw a DLG!
USA, NC, Sugar Grove
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
Mine came today. I did two very easy hand tosses and was quite suprised at how well it did. Will try to get some time in with it this weekend. The high start should be a hoot.
rmmoorejr is offline Find More Posts by rmmoorejr
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,729 Posts
Can you winch it?
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:01 PM
license to fly!
United States, NH, Bartlett
Joined Mar 2012
278 Posts
i want one but i have already spent way to much on rc this year
zebtqb is offline Find More Posts by zebtqb
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:56 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebtqb View Post
i want one but i have already spent way to much on rc this year
An occupational hazard...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:21 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
Can you winch it?
Nope
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,147 Posts
Waiting to see someone report on catching thermals with it. In the MicroRTF thread they're all moaning about how it flies like a winged-brick and they're gonna motorize it. Figured this would be a better thread to hear about it's actual ability to thermal.
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,026 Posts
It is practically impossible to keep a scale sailplane "scale" and expect it to have a decent glide ration. Anytime a scale glider DOES have a respectable glide ratio, and/or is rather "floaty", there is scale compromise. Most notably in the wing chord. (More wing area gives better glider performance) The only way to counteract this, is to make the airframe lighters, or the components lighter. That can be challenging or impossible in terms of maintaining structural integrity, especially in a mass produced product that the manufacturer is trying to market to as broad of a consumer base as possible.
This little glider looks fantastic, hence I accept its lack of glide ratio.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:28 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,347 Posts
got mine today.. looking forward to it.
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
188 Posts
Mine should be here Tuesday. Can't wait to get this little bugger
geives1 is offline Find More Posts by geives1
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:11 PM
sailplane nut
Herminie, PA 15637
Joined Apr 2007
213 Posts
Hi guys from RCbobcat55 I started a blog on this little guy under scale sailplanes not knowing that this blog was here. I am going to try to get mine in the air on FAT day (Friday after Thanksgiving) if other things don't get in the way. It is a really nice looking model. If it works out I will try slope soaring it on a small hill near my house. Also, my dad had a full scale one and I had the privelege of flying with him on several occasions in Arizona and plan on using his tail number in honor of him. (he passed away three years ago). He was a tremendous pilot and photographer. Anyways, i will keep you posted on how it flies. Bob M...
rcbobcat55 is online now Find More Posts by rcbobcat55