SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Phil and BB thanks for the compliment. The camera hides a few flaws, however I am going to do a little more on the surface patching and then spray a thin second coat on the parts that are going to stay “crème” color. Then some more prep to the areas that are going to receive the trim colors.

Phil if you look at this picture you will see that the tip rib has an under camber. I believe that was a mistake in the die that cut the rib. Theoretically it could cause wash in and tip stalling; however that airfoil is so thick I doubt it. It would be wise to straighten that out in future models.

Name: Image00004.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 133.9 KB
Description: Note slight under camber at tip rib
GLGofLB is offline Find More Posts by GLGofLB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
This morning I did a close up inspection of the plane in the morning light and noticed that the left side of the fuse had some show through from underneath. In addition I noticed a few blemishes and tiny dings so I decided to fill them and lightly sand the airframe with 360 grit. At this point I switch over to “White Putty”; it is the same as the green just easier to paint over because of its color. I came home from work at lunch today and puttied the dings in the fuse, so they would be ready to sand this evening. I also had some left over catalyzed paint in the refrigerator which I had to use today or throw away.

Name: 01.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 57.1 KB
Description: White putty good stuffName: 011.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 45.9 KB
Description: After sanding I re-shot a second thin coat, less than four oz. to do the entire fuseName: 012.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 70.8 KB
Description: This is the side that had show through
Name: 013.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 53.6 KB
Description: The bottom of the fuse was also light on paint, now it is covered nicelyName: 014.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 65.6 KB
Description: This paint is now starting to look really even and smooth

This is point that I get excited because it really starting to look good!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:41 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,211 Posts
Your workroom looks like an operating room....get some clutter going for goodness sake
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
I am really blessed with a great workshop, you should see it when its clean
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:35 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,211 Posts
I think you spend more time cleaning the shop than building! I guess that is a good thing, but everytime I clean the workroom, I need another month just to find what I KNEW was sitting right there
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:30 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Well I finally got mine in the air today. Two flights, my first in nearly 30 years. I won't say it all came rushing back, but there was no sense of panic and I felt pretty much in control doing circuits of the airfield.

The Navajo flew nicely and there were no surprises. It actually seemed quite nimble. The OS 46 provides almost too much power, with most of the flying done on one third throttle - and that with the engine running very rich. I'll be looking at a smaller prop for next week.

My instructor did a couple of loops with consumate ease, and it was very willing to turn with mininal stick input. Mine needs a lot of elevator through the turn because it's pretty nose heavy and has a big tank.

Feels good to have flown it and have it back in one piece.
Phil U is offline Find More Posts by Phil U
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:04 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,211 Posts
Congrats Phil! I know the feeling.....but are you knees still shaking?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Congratulations on the successful maiden flight. It seems like a good design for relearning your skills. Today was supposed to be the day I flew my bird off the lake. Alias it did not come to be I obviously did not finish in time, NOW my new date is April 8th. I did not get any new work done around the plane last week and I have a number of meetings and responsibilities this week; however I expect big things to happen the week after and I am sure I will finish this thing for April. Stay tuned , this not one of those threads were the builder sundenly dissapears and leaves everyone hanging. Stay tuned.

Again congrats to Phil!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:53 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
906 Posts
Funny, I remember typing a post congratulating Phil but I don't see it. Anyway, good show!

Nice to know the .46 is more than enough. What prop? I doubt that a smaller prop will be your answer. Might want less pitch, even if it means going to an inch larger diameter. Then the plane will fly slower and land slower.

Looking forward to more reports! And pics!

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:10 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Sorry I meant less pitch on the prop. Gone down to the minimum now, which I think is a 11x5.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:44 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Looking forward to the next installment GLG. Keep the aileron throws to a minimum for starters is about the only setup advice I can give from my lack of experience. Mine seems to drop into a turn with a twitch of the stick, and I have my throws cut back quite a lot on the radio.
Other than that it flies in a straight line happily hands free.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Well I got caught up in the rigors of day to day life and put my plane aside for a bit; then inertia set in and seemed hard to start up again. Last night I had about an hour or less to work and I started on the next step then I did not want to stop but had to; at least I am excited about finishing again. Funny at first you can’t get going, and then you can’t stop.

I believe I am ready for the trim colors; however I have to do a few things first, namely finish the rear windshield plug and pull a rear windshield and install it, install switch and route it to the surface, paint windows, glue windscreens and feather in, then spray the trim colors.

I put a little time into the floats patching the last of the dings and pinholes. White putty is the right stuff for the job; like the green just easier to cover. My previous tube was dried out so I bought a fresh tube.

Name: SAM_0565.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 74.4 KB
Description: New tube of White PuttyName: SAM_0566.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 56.3 KB
Description: Filling final nicks and pinholes filled in.  At the bottom of the picture is crankshaft of a Super Tigre G2300 mounted to my Pica North American T-28 Trojan.  It’s about half done and needs to get back to the building board after the Navajo is finished.

I set the floats aside to dry and started the Rear wind screen blank

Name: SAM_0567.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 55.4 KB
Description: First tape off rear fuse area where windscreen will coverName: SAM_0569.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 47.5 KB
Description: Made pattern off plans and transferred it to 20 thousands plastic using French curve.  Cut out with scissors.

Well it is dinner time and that s it for now next step is stack pieces of 3/8 sheet, four of them and sand to rear wind screen shape.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:31 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
324 Posts
Come on GLG, you're nearly there man!

By the way this is more of an advanced trainer than a beginner's model. Pretty fast for me and quite quick in the turns.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement; life has sort of re-prioritized my responsibilities. Still dripping along. No new progress yet.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Well guys I am back on the job. I know I am not supposed to take breaks but I get distracted by new projects and other things. I have been researching a couple of new projects 5 or 6 to be more exact; 5 Scale Warbirds and a Stinson Reliant. I also have a 40% finished Trojan T-28. The first post is a minor two night distraction. It is a medium size foam Beast biplane it is distributed by Nitro models and is called a “Peaks”. I won this one at an auction for $80; that’s less than ½ price. It was brand new in the box and came complete ready to build with all the hardware, a screw driver and even a tube of foam safe glue. The only parts I had to add were the flight pack and a receiver. Wanted to fly it today but the flying sight was closed for Easter.

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 86.4 KB
Description: The “Peaks” ready to fly!

Getting back to the Navajo the next order of biz is to make the rear windscreen, which means fabricating a blank.

Name: 002.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 37.0 KB
Description: Using the tracing from the plastic base I made four patterns with a French curveName: 003.jpg
Size: 72.8 KB
Description: I transferred the patterns to 3/8 inch balsaName: 004.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 56.1 KB
Description: A quick trip to the band saw yields my parts
Name: 005.jpg
Size: 63.0 KB
Description: Parts stacked in place, tack glued inName: 006.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 59.5 KB
Description: Transition steps are filled in with lengths of triangle stockName: 007.jpg
Size: 54.0 KB
Description: Slap on a coat of Bondo and carve away
Name: 008.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 87.5 KB
Description: A second coat of Bondo and some sanding.  Things are starting to take shape.Name: 009.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 52.0 KB
Description: Third coat of Bondo and the final shape is close enough

At this point the plug can be removed from the plane and finished. The blank needs to be extended at least 1/8 to a ¼ inch on the back and sides so there will adequate overlap on the part for gluing.

Name: 01.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 64.7 KB
Description: Additional wood added to back and sides of plug blank.  Green putty to cover seamsName: 02.jpg
Size: 72.0 KB
Description: More green putty to fill nicks and low spotsName: 03.jpg
Size: 67.4 KB
Description: Blank sanded out with 120 paper
Name: 04.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 62.7 KB
Description: A coat of finishing resin all over the blank

Tomorrow I will be able to sand the blank and prime it. Onward