HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Made nice progress this weekend, always like to start off just where we left off.

Name: 0.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 87.0 KB
Description: fuselage on bench just where I left you Name: 01.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 82.7 KB
Description: Machined servo rails were not in kit so I added a balsa doubler, perpendicular to fuse and laminated hardwood servo rail to balsa

Now to move on to the landing gear, actually the main float connection strut
Name: 03.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 99.4 KB
Description: Dycem layout ink with hole location scribed on partName: 04.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 106.9 KB
Description: Always challenging clamping landing gear to drill press, clean holeName: 05.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 98.4 KB
Description: Drilled out landing gear positioned on plywood platform, one hole slightly off, but gear perpendicular to center line

Name: 06.jpg
Size: 104.8 KB
Description: Perpendicular clean holes without using drill press are accomplished with hex drill guide nutsName: 07.jpg
Size: 98.0 KB
Description: Finished holesName: 08.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 88.8 KB
Description: Underlying hardwood blocks are tapped using light hand pressure.  Note ľ-20 nylon bolt in threaded hole.

Name: 09.jpg
Size: 112.3 KB
Description: Finished landing gear mounted, Epoxy reinforcement around hardwood blocks still needed

Next I thought the engine/ tank compartment needed to addressed, this would include engine mounting and the throttle cable assembly.

Name: 10.jpg
Size: 80.3 KB
Description: 1/4 inch plywood engine mounting plate attached to engine rails.  Since the rails were already drilled the trick was to drill the plate to fit the already finished holesName: 11.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 102.9 KB
Description: Brand new OS-Max 62 four stroke ready to mountName: 12.jpg
Size: 100.5 KB
Description: Layout for engine plate
Name: 19.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 95.8 KB
Description: Finished plate
Name: 13.jpg
Size: 101.5 KB
Description: Finished plate attached to fuse.Name: 14.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 118.3 KB
Description: Nose ring taped in to place and engine resting on mounting plate with a balsa sheet spacer behind engine spinner back plate.Name: 15.jpg
Size: 120.1 KB
Description: Engine mounted on plate with 6-32 SHMS

Name: 16.jpg
Size: 133.0 KB
Description: Throttle servo mounted and throttle cable routed to check clearances and swing.[Name: 17.jpg
Size: 117.5 KB
Description: Aluminum foil to protect wood against solder dripName: 18.jpg
Size: 123.4 KB
Description: Finished solder joint

Now time to move on to the rear servos and pushrods so I can button up the top and bottom sheeting.

Name: 20.jpg
Size: 95.2 KB
Description: First install ply servo rails, I like screws so I can remove them if need be. (sometimes hard to get to landing gear platform or slide a battery around under them)

Name: 21.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 207.6 KB
Description: Trial fit of Stab in die cut fuse slot.  Remarkable accurate fit!Name: 22.jpg
Size: 112.9 KB
Description: By now I have placed rear bulkheads and have drawn tail closed around tail post.  Picture shows pushrod tube guides glued inName: 23.jpg
Size: 119.6 KB
Description: Rudder and Elevator servo setup and pre-programmed.

Name: 24.jpg
Size: 91.4 KB
Description: Calculated pushrod exit angles off of plansName: 25.jpg
Size: 117.5 KB
Description: Finish pushrod exits with epoxy and micro balloons.Name: 26.jpg
Size: 72.6 KB
Description: Exit holes ready to trim and sand

Name: 27.jpg
Size: 98.8 KB
Description: Finished sanded hole

The last step was actually a mistake. I used epoxy and micro balloons; I plan on finishing fuse with ĺ oz glass and polyester resin. I know polyester will not cure over epoxy; therefore I am hoping that a soak of thin CA wicked in to the finished area and sanded back will cure this compatibility mistake. You ask why not just finish off in glass and epoxy? Two reasons price and weight. My personal experience has born out that I can do polyester lighter than epoxy. Also like the properties of polyester better, except the smell. And the debate is on!

Back to the front end, engine compartment fixed cowling and removable hatch.

Name: 28.jpg
Size: 110.6 KB
Description: The lumber for the fixed cowling portionName: 29.jpg
Size: 88.4 KB
Description: Sticks and sheets trimmed and cemented in place. Started the shaping process on port side and then thought better to shape cowl and hatch at same time.Name: 30.jpg
Size: 89.1 KB
Description: Trimming sticks that make up front hatch

Name: 31.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 105.9 KB
Description: Front hatch laying in placeName: 32.jpg
Size: 85.1 KB
Description: Front hatch parts tack glues in placeName: 33.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 117.0 KB
Description: Dowels and sockets used to align hatch in place

Name: 34.jpg
Size: 91.7 KB
Description: Something new, rare earth magnets used to hold hatch in placeName: 35.jpg
Size: 123.2 KB
Description: First magnet buried in fuselage sideName: 36.jpg
Size: 107.6 KB
Description: Other three magnets cemented in to place, front of hatch trimmed and nose ring cemented in to place.

Name: 37.jpg
Size: 90.1 KB
Description: Want hatch to have that ďseamlessĒ fit so I am using the MonoKote and micro balloon trick.  MonoKote ironed on to hatch edgesName: 38.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 93.0 KB
Description: Hatch back in place ready to receive resin and micro balloon mixture

I really intended to trowel in some resin and micro balloons last night so I could sand the hatch tonight; however I was foiled when I reach for my can of polyester resin which cured in the can. Well I was online this morning ordering new stuff, which means I will have to move on to the wing while I wait for the materials to be shipped from Ohio.
Stay tuned
GLGofLB is offline Find More Posts by GLGofLB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
571 Posts
I use wall board joint compound on gaps like that. It's lightweight, easy to sand and will take any finish. I trowel it in with an artists knife, wait a few hours and lightly sand.

I have the earlier VK kit, the Challenger in my stash. Both are great flying airplanes.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest View Post
I use wall board joint compound on gaps like that. It's lightweight, easy to sand and will take any finish. I trowel it in with an artists knife, wait a few hours and lightly sand.

I have the earlier VK kit, the Challenger in my stash. Both are great flying airplanes.
Thanks Mike,
i think in the future that would be quicker and easier, howevere i am hopeing i can slavage this with out diging it out
Gary
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Time to push ever forward. While I am waiting for the finishing resin to arrive I decided to start on the wings. The good part of this is that I finally punched out the rest of the die sheets. The bad part is there are no instructions. The die cutting is very clever in that each rib has an assembly jig attached to help align future parts. However the going is slow so I do not accidentally cement something in the wrong order.
Views: 57
Size: 246.7 KB
Description: Lots of die cut parts ribs, trailing edges and plywood doublers as well as angle braces.

Always safe to start with the main spar and the majority of the ribs.
Name: 1.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 103.5 KB
Description: Always safe to start with the main spar and the majority of the ribs.

The first wing panel is going slow however I expect the second one to fly together! Believe it or not this represents about 3 1/2 hour of work, this definitely is an intermediate skills building project!
Name: 2.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 96.5 KB
Description: The first wing panel is going slow however I expect the second one to fly together!
Last edited by GLGofLB; Dec 05, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: pictures lacked annotations
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Ok these pictures are going up out of sequence, but it tells a better story if I present it this way. I left off with wanting to put micro-balloons and resin into the hatch mating area. When I reassessed the situation, I thought I could get a better result if I first roughly shaped the hatch cowl and top of nose ring prior to adding the resin.

Size: 96.9 KB
Description: Rough shaping of top hatch and nose ringName: 2.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 93.5 KB
Description: Preparing for the addition of MonoKote to all of the mating surfaces of the hatchName: 3.jpg
Size: 93.6 KB
Description: Receiving surfaces for the hatch

Name: 4.jpg
Size: 94.0 KB
Description: MonoKote ironed to hatch surfaces and then teased back slightlyName: 5.jpg
Size: 101.4 KB
Description: Thin mix of Union Carbide Micro- Balloons and polyester resin toweled in to all of the cracks and crevicesName: 6.jpg
Size: 77.5 KB
Description: Side view of the hatch area

I would have gone on to sand out the micro-balloons however I used the minimum amount of catalyst and what should have taken 6 hours to cure is taking more like 4 days. Does MEK with peroxide catalyst have a limited shelf life? Everything else I used was new.

Now back to the wing, the fixed part of the trailing edge has to be built up first prior to trailing edge sheer and upper sheeting and cap strips.

Name: 91.jpg
Size: 102.6 KB
Description: Lower fixed flap, jigged and cemented in.Name: 92.jpg
Size: 110.5 KB
Description: Upper fixed flap and trailing edge cap

At this point the wing panel needs all of the upper sheeting and cap strips; however I think it is time to rout aileron pushrods prior to sheeting. Wanted to do push rood work on both wings simultaneously therefore time to frame up left wing.

Name: 93.jpg
Size: 101.6 KB
Description: Plans laid out to frame up port wingName: 94.jpg
Size: 114.2 KB
Description: Managed to get to this stage very quickly based on what I already learnedName: 95.jpg
Size: 105.3 KB
Description: Everything weighted down flat, lower fixed flap againName: 96.jpg
Size: 91.6 KB
Description: The bench is really getting messy!  Better tidy things up a bit prior to going forward

The plan is to now get the aileron pushrods and guides placed so I can sheet the top of both wings, or at least the part that gets sheeted. First a quick tidy up.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Well I would like to share with you that I am making smashing progress; however the truth is that I am going to share a step gone wrong. Apparently I had a resin curing failure!

Size: 94.1 KB
Description: Sanded hatch looks great good contour.Name: 2.jpg
Size: 107.7 KB
Description: Tight closure of gap using micro balloons and MonoKote.Name: 3.jpg
Size: 101.6 KB
Description: Close up view of gap ready to release part.

After I released part and started peeling off MonoKote the resin edge was sticky and plastic with a soft gooey edge. I ultimately scraped off all the resin and lightly sanded the edges back to raw wood.

Size: 111.1 KB
Description: View of hatch and opening after sanding off sticky mess.

Now I have a larger gap to manage but I will fix this.
Name: 5.jpg
Description: View of new gap left sideName: 6.jpg
Size: 91.4 KB
Description: View of new gap top backName: 7.jpg
Size: 71.0 KB
Description: View of new gap top front

After this folly you can see the large gap that I now have to manage. I called the resin manufacturer to get some additional information. I have used this technique before successfully; and can only speculate what went wrong. Since I used all new resin and styrene thinner; my guess is that the MEKP catalyst was either too old or I used to little. (7 drops to Ĺ once). If anyone else has had this problem let me know what the cause was? Well I need to try again this weekend so first I am going to run some tests on scrape balsa until I get the results I know can be achieved.

Name: 8.jpg
Size: 104.6 KB
Description: Back to the drawing board
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,063 Posts
If you are going to cover the plane with an Iron - on covering, those gaps should fill in. As far as the sticky mess....put the parts in your car, windows rolled up and let it sit in the sun! I've have had too many experiences with just the problem you are having and the car trick seems to cure the glue.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is it possible to lose weight?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Thanks Tailskid2,
Unfortunately I am going with 3/4 oz glass and resin finish on the fuse and tail, with MonoKote covering on the wing. I ran some tests to figure out why the the resin did not cure the first time.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Okay sometimes model building is 2 steps backward and 1 step forward, this one of those times. Since my resin was not setting correctly and since I was planning on using this resin for a finish; I needed to run some tests to figure out the problem.

Size: 107.0 KB
Description: Test balsa mock up with resin and micro balloons, testing catalyst, noting cured correctly.Name: 2.jpg
Size: 112.1 KB
Description: Test balsa mock up with resin and micro balloons, testing catalyst, noting cured correctly.Name: 3.jpg
Size: 98.1 KB
Description: Success!

Well the source of my problems was expired catalyst MEKP. Now to make up ground by Re-fitting hatch

Size: 105.8 KB
Description: Raw balsa opening with strips of MonoKote and a batch of resin and micro balloonsName: 5.jpg
Size: 99.2 KB
Description: Coat of micro balloons and then lay on strips of MonoKoteName: 6.jpg
Size: 103.4 KB
Description: Put hatch to placeName: 7.jpg
Size: 100.1 KB
Description: Spatulate in more micro balloons and resin to fill gaps
Name: 8.jpg
Size: 95.2 KB
Description: Picture of additional micro balloons and resin on both sides of MonoKote parting filmName: 9.jpg
Size: 89.0 KB
Description: Fuselage set aside to set up hard

After the fuse resin sets very hard for a day I will sand out seams and separate part off. Meanwhile back to the wing. Before I glue all the upper sheeting to place the aileron pushrods and ply doublers needed to be installed.

Name: 91.jpg
Size: 94.7 KB
Description: View of quick link and pushrod solder jointName: 92.jpg
Size: 87.6 KB
Description: With pushrods in place servo side of links are soldered in and plastic caps are screwed on to line up over midline.Name: 93.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 107.6 KB
Description: Right and left wing are both finished to same point, now I have to do sheeting.  All doublers and joiners laminated and test fit

Just was not feeling it last night; so I will do the sheeting when I am in a different state of mind. Time to catch up on a little telly
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
This is probably my last post until after Christmas because I am taking a holiday trip to the east coast. COLD. I decided to bite the bullet and just go about sheeting the wing, only finished the right wing panel.

Views: 36
Size: 100.3 KB
Description: This is where I left off on the wingsName: 01.jpg
Size: 109.1 KB
Description: Upper surface leading edge sheet, center section and rib cap strips, ready to un-weightName: 02.jpg
Size: 112.4 KB
Description: Almost finished wing flat on bench, starting to like the look of things
Name: 03.jpg
Size: 106.3 KB
Description: Added aileron mount reinforcement and all lower sheeting, the entire aileron bay is sheeted to accommodate a clean pushrod exitName: 04.jpg
Size: 95.1 KB
Description: Finished wing with all sheeting and cap strips.

After I get the other wing caught up I need to square up the ends, and add block wing tip then cut out aileron cavity on under surface. I chose to finish up by sanding out the hatch area and separating part off.

Name: 05.jpg
Size: 92.9 KB
Description: Resin and MonoKote sandwich getting rough sandingName: 06.jpg
Size: 86.1 KB
Description: Hatch and micro balloons with finished rough sandingName: 07.jpg
Size: 82.2 KB
Description: Initial separation of part
Name: 08.jpg
Size: 83.8 KB
Description: Fuselage with residual MonoKote film, in process of peeling it off.Name: 09.jpg
Size: 81.4 KB
Description: Finished hatch back in place notice supper narrow seam.Name: 10.jpg
Size: 73.5 KB
Description: Gap some where between 10 and 20 thousands

After a week of playing around with my resin chemistry I finally got the fit I was trying to achieve. The fuselage will get a covering of ĺ oz. glass and resin and the seam should virtually disappear.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays see you all after the 26th
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Happy New Years, Well the Mayanís were wrong and we are all here in 2013. It has been 11 eleven days since I have posted. Since then I have survived the cold weather in Connecticut and New York for Christmas day. Everybody is still out of town except for me and I had a chance to do some building. Wanted to get the wings squared away so I can do the final assembly push and get to building the floats.

Name: Image00002.jpg
Size: 149.5 KB
Description: Right wing sheeted and center line sandedName: Image00004.jpg
Size: 133.9 KB
Description: Strange under camber on each wing tip?Name: Image00005.jpg
Size: 172.9 KB
Description: Tons of weight on left wing panel as top sheeting and cap strips are added
Name: Image00006.jpg
Size: 167.7 KB
Description: Flip wing over and cut off alignment tabsName: Image00007.jpg
Size: 163.5 KB
Description: Inboard tab accommodates lower flap sheeting, interesting die cuttingName: Image00008.jpg
Size: 163.2 KB
Description: Left wing sheeting on bottom completed

Time for a break because the next step is some quality time with a sanding bar. Just for kicks I applied front landing gear plate with plenty of thread lock. This piece will never see the light of day once lower sheeting is complete; therefore it needs to be attached well.

Name: Image00009.jpg
Size: 137.5 KB
Description: Front landing gear plate attached, this will be front float attachment location

Back to the wing, I am pretty proud of my measuring skills, I sanded each root wing panel to centerline and angle using measurements off the plans. Presto! The first dry fit and the wings match up nice

Name: Image00010.jpg
Size: 132.0 KB
Description: Dry fit centerline of wing seems spot onName: Image00011.jpg
Size: 80.8 KB
Description: Dihedral braces in place and wings meet up well

Time to do all that ugly shaping and sanding; actually I like seeing things take shape, just donít like all the sanding dust.

Name: Image00012.jpg
Size: 158.7 KB
Description: Wingtip blocks glued to wing tips, note leading edge is still flat trapezoid stockName: Image00013.jpg
Size: 161.5 KB
Description: Left wing tip roughed out and rough shaped, still havenít tackled leading edgeName: Image00014.jpg
Size: 174.4 KB
Description: Right wing tip whittled out using large blade exacto knife on left side of image
Name: Image00015.jpg
Size: 178.2 KB
Description: Everything thatís not a wing tip laying on drivewayName: Image00016.jpg
Size: 156.3 KB
Description: Both wing tips roughed shaped, still havenít touched those leading edges

Decided I still did not want to face shaping the leading edges and all that dust; so I went to build the ailerons. I actually want the ailerons built and hinged before I joined the wings. With the ailerons attached and stabilized with linkages and a servo it will hold things still when sanding the ailerons to their final contours.
Name: Image00017.jpg
Size: 154.5 KB
Description: Ailerons are built up from die cut pieces, sheeting weighted down to plansName: Image00018.jpg
Size: 149.5 KB
Description: Left aileron lower sheetingName: Image00019.jpg
Size: 152.0 KB
Description: Contoured leading edge and ribs cemented to place; shaped hardwood horn block in center of picture
Name: Image00020.jpg
Size: 174.6 KB
Description: Upper sheeting glued on, Almost finished flapName: Image00021.jpg
Size: 112.9 KB
Description: Contoured leading edge and ribs cemented to place; shaped hardwood horn block in center of picture

I thought it may be interesting to use the original pre-shaped metal control horns. The plans say they are brass; however they are clearly thin sheet steel.

Name: Image00023.jpg
Size: 161.5 KB
Description: Metal control horns freshly de-burredName: Image00024.jpg
Size: 133.9 KB
Description: 5/64th hole drilled to accommodate #2 screwsName: Image00025.jpg
Size: 135.8 KB
Description: Control horn blocks drilled to accept screws
Name: Image00026.jpg
Size: 139.3 KB
Description: Metal horns screwed to blocksName: Image00028.jpg
Size: 143.9 KB
Description: Control horn dry fit to aileronName: Image00030.jpg
Size: 158.4 KB
Description: Left and right control horn completed

And thatís how itís done old school! Sometimes I donít know what I am thinking I probably could have saved a couple of hours if I just used nylon horns; however I did not have two that matched lying around. Also this kit was packed up in 1969, so I need it to have a little vintage character. The second aileron moved on quickly

Name: Image00031.jpg
Size: 162.1 KB
Description: Right aileron sheeting leading edge and ribs in placeName: Image00032.jpg
Size: 55.3 KB
Description: Whenever I drill hinge pins, it seems like one is always off and going through the sheeting.  This an example of a quick fix; micro- balloons patted in to hole one drop on thin CA and sanded smoothName: Image00033.jpg
Size: 152.5 KB
Description: Ailerons hinged and another dry fit
Name: Image00034.jpg
Size: 142.0 KB
Description: Pushrod locations marked outName: Image00035.jpg
Size: 129.0 KB
Description: Aileron compartment marked out on bottom of wingName: Image00036.jpg
Size: 121.7 KB
Description: Time for a break before I finally tackle the leading edge and join the wings

After studying the plans and ailerons a bit I decided the upwards motion of the aileron was hindered unless I added a counter bevel to the upper surface of the aileron. If you make a tight hinge line how can this design possibly hinge upward?

Name: Image00047.jpg
Size: 51.0 KB
Description: This design canít work case closedName: Image00037.jpg
Size: 168.1 KB
Description: Upper counter bevel sanding line marked outName: Image00038.jpg
Size: 135.2 KB
Description: End view of aileron beveled to correct  and workable contour

FINALLY sanded the leading edge to airfoil contour with out poking my finger through any of the sheeting, time to join panels

Name: Image00039.jpg
Size: 137.1 KB
Description: Plywood template of leading edge cross section pretty accurate fitName: Image00040.jpg
Size: 136.3 KB
Description: Final dry fit of wing panels with dihedral braces in placeName: Image00041.jpg
Size: 161.6 KB
Description: Dry fit clamping dress rehearsal
Name: Image00042.jpg
Size: 146.9 KB
Description: Epoxy measured and mixed here goes nothing.  Is this a good time to stop and take pictures?  Should be plenty of time with the thirty minute stuff.Name: Image00043.jpg
Size: 190.4 KB
Description: Okay the real deal pushed together and clampedName: Image00044.jpg
Size: 113.8 KB
Description: Dihedral supposed to be 2 ĺ inches at this point, spot on
Name: Image00045.jpg
Size: 159.0 KB
Description: After over night set finish wing looks pretty goodName: Image00046.jpg
Size: 135.5 KB
Description: Servo is going to be tight fit in this compartment space
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:59 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,095 Posts
Looks very nice. I found that with flying seaplanes the balsa sometimes swelled up a bit.
Good fitting holes in ribs sometimes grabbed the pushrods and made flying a little tougher.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Kadet nightflyer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Looks very nice. I found that with flying seaplanes the balsa sometimes swelled up a bit.
Good fitting holes in ribs sometimes grabbed the pushrods and made flying a little tougher.
HMMM Never thought of that, Are you refering to the pushrods through the ribs? I really cant make the holes much bigger at this time with out introducing a lot of slop; however I always seemed to over servo my planes. The aileron servo puts out 80oz. at 6 volts which I will be using. Hopefully with enough cycles they will losen up a little.Thanks for the input pd1
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:29 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLGofLB View Post
HMMM Never thought of that, Are you refering to the pushrods through the ribs? I really cant make the holes much bigger at this time with out introducing a lot of slop; however I always seemed to over servo my planes. The aileron servo puts out 80oz. at 6 volts which I will be using. Hopefully with enough cycles they will losen up a little.Thanks for the input pd1
Back in the day, I used soda straws in the ribs for guides. The Du Bro Golden rods outer tubes will work too.
Since the aileron pushrod is held by the servo arm and the belcrank, the pushrod doesn't move very much,
It shouldn't add any slop to the linkage.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Kadet nightflyer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
=pd1;23687239]Back in the day, I used soda straws in the ribs for guides. The Du Bro Golden rods outer tubes will work too.
Since the aileron pushrod is held by the servo arm and the belcrank, the pushrod doesn't move very much,
It shouldn't add any slop to the linkage.
Funny enough I opened the servo bay last night and found that the linkage situation is turning out to be both a space, alignment and binding problem. After a few different servo arm and linkage arrangements that did not work I put it to bed for the evening and will give another idea a shot tonight. If worse comes to worse, I will un-solder the linkages and re- route it using Du Bro Golden rods. Would like to avoid that both because of the time and effort it would involve Regardless this situation needs to be worked out before I can go on from here. Amazing how the little things trip one up.

Also pd1 I noticed on your blog that you like silk to cover airplanes. I thought as a building enthusiast I should give silk a try. Please see attached picture of Lou Andrews Trainermaster that I built last year and covered in hand died Japanese silk.

Name: IMAG0008.jpg
Views: 71
Description: Hand died silk and dope finish.  Custom formulated green.  1960 something Veco 45 and original decal.