HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:05 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
She is a real beauty! If this prop proves to be a keeper, you should give it a realistic wood paint job to finish the look.
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad907 View Post
She is a real beauty! If this prop proves to be a keeper, you should give it a realistic wood paint job to finish the look.
Beat ya to it....thats what I was working on today. I moved the motor out an 1/2". Bought all this stuff to make a 3 dimensional Clerget or Bentley engine but could not get it to work out. So I reverted to my original idea but this time printed the engine on clear label paper and put it over 1/32" sheet balsa painted brilliant silver so it shimmers like metal.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:01 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Tinkered with some more bits today. I got the wood on the wires for the struts. Just need a little paint on the wires and some poly. In my never ending quest to make myself miserable, I decided to revisit the DIY decals again. This time with a little more success. My vintage decals certainly look vintage.. I am not sure what method I will use for the white strip and numbers yet. The decal material is not easy to work with in small sizes.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:19 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
809 Posts
What a beauty she is. I wish I could build like that. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:20 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
811 Posts
She'll look brilliant in the air!
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:29 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Thank you for the compliments guys. The pros in these forums are what inspire me to try harder and harder. I can never seem to achieve the level of perfection that they bring to these forums though.

Sooo,,,to fulfill this need I have to do everything myself I decided to remove the letter from the side of the fuse and incorporate it into the numbers and stripe. I reverted to a reliable method I learned from these forums. (gift from the rc airplane gods) I found some old, and I mean old, white monokote in my building today. I peeled the backing off, sprayed some Windex onto a sterile mirror surface, used a credit card to squeegee out the excess Windex, taped my design over the covering now stuck to the mirror and very carefully cut out my pattern. Then using (and I did not know this stuff existed) press n seal, I lifted the design off the mirror. Then sprayed some Windex (magic solution, I use this sh#t on everything) onto the fuse and positioned the design. Then again squeegeed out the excess and let dry. Then using a detail iron on low heat, peal off the press n seal, tacking the corners of the design as you go and viola! Hey, they are not Callie's but good enough for me.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:57 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Put the Camel on the CG machine today. Looks like I will need to put around 4 oz. in the nose to get her to balance out. I didn't want to have to do that but it's not gonna fly without it. AUW with the 4 oz. is 41.6 oz. total. Still between 10-13 oz/sq ft wing loading range.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
A real beauty!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:53 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Again, thank you Conrad.

I got her balanced today after work. Added 6oz., not 4 as originally calculated, to the nose. Stuffed it around the perimeter of the cowl. Hopefully the cowl holds up the weight ok at touch down. I have my wife practicing her video skills on my micros for the maiden flight. I am gonna take her out this week end (the wife, not the Camel) and have her video one of my other planes to get used to it. Probably the Cub since it is bright yellow and fairly a slow flyer. AUW is definitely 41.6oz. balanced. A little more than I had originally anticipated but I think it'll be fine. Balanced her out at 2 3/4" from leading edge of top wing. May be a little nose heavy. I would rather be nose heavy on the maiden than tail heavy as the old adage goes: A nose heavy plane will fly poorly, a tail heavy plane will fly once...

I included the video of the cub. Why, I don't know....

I took a few more pics of the Camel in one piece. Hopefully I can get more after the maiden.

The ACE in the panarama is 36" @ 40oz. and the Stearman is 36" @ 48oz. and they are great flyers.

Practice Shoot (3 min 32 sec)
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:01 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
I decided to pull my graphics off the plane. I am just not satisfied with them. Callie of Callie graphics is making new ones as I type. Also have a 1/8 scale pilot coming Tuesday.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:56 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
That is a sweet looking Camel. You really put the time in and it shows. Best of luck on the Maiden. It will look amazing in the air!

M
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
I would say your wife is ready to handle your video work! I have a yard similar to yours, but I have a habit of getting into tree landings. My flying skills are still beginner. Your Camel is great crafsmanship stem to stern. Anxious to see the maiden.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:22 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Thanks miles/lb and Conrad.

Messed with the Camel a little today as I cannot seem to keep my grubby mitts off of it for long. Decided to make the top hatch magnetic as I hate to do screws in the field. As I was doing so it dawned on me that there was no air escapement hole anywhere and I didn't want my hatch to be ejected off the fuse from pressure in mid-air so I cut a slot behind the dash and in front of where "Joe Pilot" will be placed.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:22 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
OK, I am not gonna be happy until I screw something up. Soooo...I was just not happy cinching out on the rotary engine. I had already bought the stuff to make but was just too lazy to sit and try to figure out how to install it. Those pieces were burning a hole in my "Box-O-Stuff". After all, even ARF's don't look that cheasy. Started out by constructing a engine housing / block from 1/8" balsa. Took 1/2" faucet couplers to make the cylinders. Styrene for the heads and rockers. Brass tubing for push rods. I can live with the results a lot easier than the printed version. Ended up a little off center due to the thrust angles. Painted in the background to make it pop out more and to hide the internal workings...

Yeah, I know its a Clerget 7Z and not a Clerget 9B. Thought the 9B would hamper removal of the cowl and access to the screws.
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Jan 05, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:02 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Ya know that 7Z is gonna bother me......