SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Sep 2012
851 Posts
This noob has thoroughly enjoyed following along with your build so far. VERY impressive!

And the fact that you make almost daily progress and post that makes it all the better. Waiting for weeks or months for an update on an interesting project is no fun.
Joker 53150 is offline Find More Posts by Joker 53150
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:26 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker 53150 View Post
This noob has thoroughly enjoyed following along with your build so far. VERY impressive!

And the fact that you make almost daily progress and post that makes it all the better. Waiting for weeks or months for an update on an interesting project is no fun.
Thanks Joker. A little every day for the most part.

I do have a little progress to share tonight also. Even though I had my parents over tonight, I managed to squeeze in some time this morning. Made a little windshield for Joe Pilot so he does not get bugs in his teeth I got the upper wing and ailerons covered and hinged. This is the first time I have ever attempted to top hinge an aileron using CA hinges. I incorporated SopwithMikes suggestion on putting them in at a 45deg angle. I like the results. Not so pleased with the way my wing tips turned out as I thought I would be. Maybe should have added another rib between on the ends...

Oh. one thing I have found interesting about the covering I am using is that it has a grain to it and when applied it has the look of cloth almost. Just saying...
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Dec 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:12 AM
NOT SCREWED UP
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
beautiful job on the covering. Looks like the end is near.
alf.g is offline Find More Posts by alf.g
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:01 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
I agree with you about the Coverite. I will need to try out their line of flat colors next time I build a military plane. Excellent product to show off your build.
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:06 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Finished covering the lower wing sections and attached the ailerons. Put everything together to triple check alignments and fit before proceeding to color scheme, flying wires and controls. I attempted to create my own decals as I have done in the past, but for some reason my Da@# printer refuses to print anything that resembles dark green. it either looks brown or black. Then I put debonder on them and the da@# red ran... I will have to go another route with the color scheme I had chosen. Printers do not print white....

No battery or ESC = 28.8 oz.
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Dec 23, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:10 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Ok, I sent my files to Callie's Graphics for a price quote to include twice what I need. I know I am gonna screw a couple up....Unfortunately they are moving their home/office over the holidays and will not return open until after the first...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
I noticed you do not have the control horns installed yet. Did you do a dry run on your pull-pull system before covering? I have never done pull-pull. Do you just get everything the way you want it, finish the covering, and then hook up the wires? Also, what are you using for control lines, fishing line? Sorry about all the questions, but thanks to you I am putting in this type of control myself!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad907 View Post
I noticed you do not have the control horns installed yet. Did you do a dry run on your pull-pull system before covering? I have never done pull-pull. Do you just get everything the way you want it, finish the covering, and then hook up the wires? Also, what are you using for control lines, fishing line? Sorry about all the questions, but thanks to you I am putting in this type of control myself!
I use .38mm bead stringing wire from Micheals for the cables, small scimps also from Micheals, 3/4" long eye pins from Micheals, wire guardians, you guessed it, from Micheals. I use the tubing from .047" micro push rods to guide the wire thru the wings. This extremely strong cable slides thru the guides with little to no effort. Beings I will have to have an adjustment at each stage, I will be using rigging couplers screwed into Kwik links to make the adjustable and to remove slack. For the elevator and rudder I loop the cables and crimp to the control horns using Guardians and at the servo I insert a eye pin in the push rod connector and adjust from that end. The single servo and 4 aileron setup is gonna be trial and error. Hopefully less error... In the last pic you can see the receiver for the control horn and the thru piece for the tie rods.
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Dec 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Last post before the holidays start. Just to elaborate on Conrad questions. I incorporated receivers, or sockets, to take the plywood control horns. I just cut it out and either epoxy or wick in CA to hold them. Here are some shots of what I got so far....Also got the elevator and stab rigging in. Sure strengthened that stab right up... The pics are out of sequence as I did the rigging before installing the control horns. I wanted it stable before setting anything up.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Thanks for the information, I will be visiting Michaels when I return to town from work. I feel confident I can do this now with your good instructions. I like the use of the wire guardians, did not know such a product was available for small wire. Is the second horn on the backside of the ailerons used like a strongback to stop control surface flutter? Is this just a scale touch?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:04 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad907 View Post
Thanks for the information, I will be visiting Michaels when I return to town from work. I feel confident I can do this now with your good instructions. I like the use of the wire guardians, did not know such a product was available for small wire. Is the second horn on the backside of the ailerons used like a strongback to stop control surface flutter? Is this just a scale touch?
Both actually. It carries the "load" around the fulcrum point to the lower aileron to take stress from the aileron rib and provides leverage...the lower aileron is identical in design and will be a cable strung between the upper and lower ailerons. It will pull from the bottom wings to the upper, across the upper and back down to the opposing lower wing. A closed loop around both wings.
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Dec 24, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:43 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Got some time to myself today and got the control surfaces all wired up and working. The 4 aileron / single servo system seems to work ok. The risk of an in flight failure is adrenalin pumping, isn't it? Also got my ESC soldered up and installed.

Posted some video footage: You can see in the last video the left lower clevis hanging up here. I had to rectify that and make a few adjustments.

Camel Tailfeathers (0 min 42 sec)

Camel Ailerons (0 min 29 sec)

Camel Aileron SERVO (0 min 45 sec)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Outstanding job on those controls! Very impressive!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:29 AM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Ran some power setup test last night. At WOT I am pulling 156 watts and 20 amp with an 480 910kv motor on 2s 2200mah battery pushing a 11x4.7 SF prop and a 40amp Datrum ESC. AUW on the plane is 2.2lbs. 2.2/156 = 70.9 Wp per lb. Half throttle is 60 Wp, 2/3 throttle is 100 Wp. Not enough on the low end and too much on the high end I believe. I would have to fly and see. At least I know I have enough to get her off the ground. Spot checked CG. Needs just a tad added to the nose to balance. I am gonna move the motor forward about 3/4" and try to put the ESC in the cowling area and see how she balances then. I hate to add additional weight if not necessary.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
I did some rigging on the flying wires today. Kinda gives it a "scale-ish" look. Now I can begin to make some struts to cover the unsightly piano wires. Waiting to obtain some longer 4-40 bolts to move the motor and ESC forward before balancing. Best I can figure CG should be 2 7/8" from LE on top wing. I calculated it in several programs and all fell a tad before or a tad aft. Hopefully close enough to get it in the air and back in one piece....

Warning: Do not attempt this while awaiting your new eye glass prescription....