HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
If you have a Barbie in the house, turn her into a wing walker. She could hang onto the string!
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Finally, after installing hand rails in my fathers house, I got some time today to work on my build. Cut all the pull-pull control horns and built slots in the ailerons to receive them after covering goes on. Beveled both edges at the bottoms of the aileron hinge points as I did not have sufficient meat to take from one side. Worked out good though as the lower edge is flush in the down position as apposed to one edge being higher or lower depending on which side you bevel. I do realize the original Sopwith planes had the hinges on the bottom but for better flight characteristics mine will be on top...
Not sure if I am going to stick with the CA hinges or use the Robart hinges that I had originally bought for the project.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
It is important that we never let our wives think we care more about our planes than we do about them! My wife is in China, and I hope to retire and move there next year. Boy is she in for a surprise when she sees what the spare bedroom is about to become!
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad907 View Post
It is important that we never let our wives think we care more about our planes than we do about them! My wife is in China, and I hope to retire and move there next year. Boy is she in for a surprise when she sees what the spare bedroom is about to become!
I hear ya Conrad. Well I got the upper ailerons beveled and hinged. Then I played around with photo shop for an hour coming up with a dash image that I printed on clear label paper to go in tomorrow. On the down hill side now ! Need to make exits for wires in fuse, get the control cables in the lower wings, then I think I can start some covering. Oh, I need to work on the stain a little more then I want to polyurethane over it before covering. After covering I'll work on the remaining CS struts and LG struts.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,730 Posts
Whatever the engine is, it looks very realistic from here!

A really class build and I'm looking forward very much to seeing her fly
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:22 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Poll.....?

Literally, is there a need for a piano wire between the elevators if you are using pull-pull?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
Pull-pull to both sides, in the same loop? Then I suppose not. But if there are two loops, I'd think any difference in the geometry or the stretch of the lines will show up as "differential ailerons"
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
You bring up a good point David. My own further thought would be, why take any risk of having a control mishap with such a beautiful airplane? A small insurance factor of having both elevators linked together might be worth the peace of mind.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
You bring up a good point David. My own further thought would be, why take any risk of having a control mishap with such a beautiful airplane? A small insurance factor of having both elevators linked together might be worth the peace of mind.
ya know, I knew someone was gonna say that and that my conscious was not gonna let me go wireless....
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:46 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Ok, I came to a compromise. I used a 1/8" dowel as I have done on several of my builds including my Ace Allstar and Peter Rake SPAD XIII. I got the tail feathers hinged and all is just rested together until covered. next I will get those Da#@ lower aileron cables in then the exits in the fuse. I put the dash I printed last night in. I am not sure if I am going to stick with this one or a better image I found tonight. I will put some kind of coming around the cockpit also. Fuselage definitely needs more stain...

I just added the dash pics....
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Dec 18, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
I got the guide tubes installed. I will trim closer after glue cures a little more. The lower elevator exits are not in the stock position due to the fact that I put the control horns closer inboard than they should have been, but know body will know but me....
Need to work on the stain and poly then I can start some covering.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
This build is in a class of its own. Your craftsmanship inspires me to try harder. I have never tried a pull pull set-up. I am faced with 18 inch long pushrods for my tail feathers at present. If I could do a pull pull, I could definitely save some tail weight. hmmmm......
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:49 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
This build is in a class of its own. Your craftsmanship inspires me to try harder. I have never tried a pull pull set-up. I am faced with 18 inch long pushrods for my tail feathers at present. If I could do a pull pull, I could definitely save some tail weight. hmmmm......
Thanks Conrad. This is actually the first time I have attempted to do 4 ailerons on pull-pull with one servo. Ought to be interesting.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Update. Got some poly on the stained areas today. Started covering everything. The tan I got for the bottom is a little darker than I would like it to be. I thought I would try Coverite flats to see how I liked them. Their colors are different from what I am used to with my favored brand, Monocote. Also, if you notice in the pic of the under side of the tail, was this first piece of covering I put on and I guess the iron was a little too hot and discolored the covering. It gives it the "not brand new" Camel look. I also installed the belly pan today. Made from .3mm birch covered with alum tape, held on by LG bolts. Next I will run some test wires thru the main wings guides to assure they will go through after covering goes on...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
The covering looks flawless! 4 ailerons pull-pull on a single servo,.... holy smokes! This build is full of surprises!