HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
No kidding Steve. I feel like a total slacker all of a sudden!

Conrad
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:30 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
That's a nice, clean build. The only problem is that you build too fast for us to keep up!

Steve
Sorry guys, I am working as fast as I can. It's not easy with a full time job 40 miles away, a 6 and 8 year old, wife and house to take care of. I'll try to pick up the pace a little...
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
I think I got all the electronics placements figured out where I can get everything shoved as far to the front as possible without putting anything but the motor in the cowl. I redid the fire wall with plans on sliding the battery in from the bottom partially intruding into the cowl until I remembered the servo for the ailerons has to be there. I then decided to put it on end from the top right behind the motor. I will construct a tray at an angle for the battery to slide into between the servo tray and the motor. aileron servo on the bottom of the tray along with the receiver and ESC. The rudder and stab servo on top of the tray. I reinforced the lower wing mounting area due to a lesson learned from the Peter Rake SPAD XIII I built. Then reinforced the wing ends and bolted it to the fuse for a removable wing. The upper wings and rigging will be removable as a unit from the fuse also. Man, I hope this works out.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Can anyone direct me to a good CG calculator that is reliable? The plans show no CG location that I can see.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:49 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,007 Posts
Here's a link to the Hangar 9 Camel page, including the manual and other tips that may be useful. You can see the GC location of that plane and scale it from it's wingspan to yours.

See if this is useful.

"The mean aerodynamic chord of a biplane can be found as the weighted average of the mean chords of the two wings, weighted by the relative areas of the two wings. The biplane aerodynamic center is at approximately 23% of the mean aerodynamic chord, rather than 25% as for a monoplane, due to the wing interference effects."
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hand toss Avro Vulcan
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
Here's a link to the Hangar 9 Camel page, including the manual and other tips that may be useful. You can see the GC location of that plane and scale it from it's wingspan to yours.

See if this is useful.

"The mean aerodynamic chord of a biplane can be found as the weighted average of the mean chords of the two wings, weighted by the relative areas of the two wings. The biplane aerodynamic center is at approximately 23% of the mean aerodynamic chord, rather than 25% as for a monoplane, due to the wing interference effects."
Thanks David. I found a really good calculator here...http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

I am coming up with 2.28 to 2.92 from LE...? Anyone like to second me?
I placed my main spar addition at 2.25 on a first guess with no calculations. placed it dead center of the 1/8" locating dowels. I hate guessing at CG's, especially when you find out your wrong 50 ft in the air....
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Nov 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:09 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
Hey RMCCOR7737 (that's some moniker, by the way, what does your wife call you?),

Here's a great Cof G calculator I coincidentally found today for my Lancaster build:

http://home.arcor.de/d_meissner/schwerp.htm

It's really powerful from what I can see, and can accommodate biplanes and even triplanes. The software itself has English and German menus.

If you really want to slow your building down but increase your quality of life, get that 8 year-old to look over your shoulder while building...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Hey RMCCOR7737 (that's some moniker, by the way, what does your wife call you?),

Here's a great Cof G calculator I coincidentally found today for my Lancaster build:

It's really powerful from what I can see, and can accommodate biplanes and even triplanes. The software itself has English and German menus.

If you really want to slow your building down but increase your quality of life, get that 8 year-old to look over your shoulder while building...

Steve
Robert. And thanks, I'll check it out. My 8 year old does and keeps asking me if he can "help"...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:17 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:

Steve
Ich spreche kein Deutsch
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
Zwei grosses Bier is about as far as I get, but if you click on "Download" in the upper right corner, you'll get a zipped folder with everything you need. The software has a "Language" toggle in the menu bar that switches the menus and annotations to English. Heck, if I can make it work for my Lanc, you can do it!

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see the results:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...550827&page=13

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Last edited by Steve85; Nov 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:18 AM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Zwei grosses Bier is about as far as I get, but if you click on "Download" in the upper right corner, you'll get a zipped folder with everything you need. The software has a "Language" toggle in the menu bar that switches the menus and annotations to English. Heck, if I can make it work for my Lanc, you can do it!

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see the results:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...550827&page=13

Steve
I figured all that out Steve thanks to google translate. Now I just have to sit down and enter all the specs. i have to keep converting SAE to Metric...Ahhhh! Why can't anything be simple?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:49 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,007 Posts
I bit the bullet and do all my RC work in metric. It's just a matter of turning the ruler around.
I like the calculator. It gave me very good results for my Rufe, just completed.

Now I'm going to add a "third wing" and enter a polygon representing the bottom of the float and see how it changes things. Flat bottomed fuselages could be treated the same way.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hand toss Avro Vulcan
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:55 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
305 Posts
RMCCOR,
Great project! I have a sorta related question. Where did you get the stand for your airframe? Your own design? Looks to be adjustable width wise. I want one....
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:30 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbetts@hotm View Post
RMCCOR,
Great project! I have a sorta related question. Where did you get the stand for your airframe? Your own design? Looks to be adjustable width wise. I want one....
When I sold my slimmers I had a field box from TH that did not sell. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPS86&P=ML

I removed the top to make the stand...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Ok, got a little done on the cowl today. I am either gonna have to do a do over or add another lamination to the front to get a more rounded nose affect, I haven't decided yet. I cut out the cockpit area to general shape. I will make a more final cut when I install the machine guns. The opening is shaped differently on each side due to the gun mechanisms. Installed the motor to get an idea of how close I was on my thrust line measurements and to determine if I had room for another layer on the nose of the cowling. Looks like I will.