HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Question
Gyro for ELEVON mix

Hi pilots, wondering if there is a gyro that can be used to stabilize "only AIL." function for Elevon/Delta mix computurized controls where you use only ch2 as AIL. and ch3 as EL. Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:25 AM
"...certainty is absurd."
Joined Jan 2007
3,600 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question entirely, but I think the Eagle Tree Guardian can do what you want. You can reduce the elevator gain to zero, and it will only stabilize ailerons. It does the elevon mixing on-board

"The Guardian controls a total of 4 servos, and is flexible enough to support elevons, dual ailerons, and other configurations."

http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Hi pilots, wondering if there is a gyro that can be used to stabilize "only AIL." function for Elevon/Delta mix computurized controls where you use only ch2 as AIL. and ch3 as EL. Joe.
Hobby King has a new very inexpensive 3 channel gyro assist which fits between rx and servos .
We have been using the small gyro assists from Horizon (AS3X) in a few models and this is extremely worthwhile - done correctly. The Hobby King is 14 bucks - other setups cost more - depends on what you want --
You have to orient the gyros such that trimmed -normal flight attitude is "center" of usable gyro travel correction.
It will take some fussing to get it right.
IF you have a small model - the AS3X system can be used - requires you use Spektrum radio setup
These AS3X are great.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:49 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,297 Posts
The problem with that Hobbyking Gyro is that it neither supports dual ailerons nor Delta mix.
If it had these features, they could make it cost 2 times as much and would still sell much more than they do now.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,770 Posts
I might be wrong, but it ought to be possible to use two standard gyros in line with the taileron servos, both aligned to the roll axis. The same approach should work also with a V tail to discriminate between pitch and yaw.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,100 Posts
Brandano, you are correct. You could use two gyros as suggested. I was just thinking the same thing and was going to post such a suggestion but you beat me to it.

You could tune the gyro command anywhere from roll only through roll and pitch to pitch only by suitably aligning the gyro's axes. Easy enough to buy a couple of cheap gyros and try it. Of course, start with ground testing just to visually verify the proper direction of control feedback to pitch and roll perturbations.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut