HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:09 AM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
1) Could I have damaged the motor when it smoked after crashing on an earlier flight such that it isn't getting enough power?
When the magic smoke comes out they are usually done. You need a new motor before it will fly.

Edit; The smoke comes from the burning of the insulation on the wires in the windings of the motor. It usually happens when the prop is jammed by something, ground,plane parts, etc, and we are still trying to save it with the throttle on.

If you look at the windings you may be able to see the burnt area.
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
Last edited by Johnny Five; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
968 Posts
Quote:
If I get a movie file, how do I post it here?
...Thx.
I post pictures here by posting to photobucket, then pasting the properties in the picture icon.The only vids I have posted have already been on the internet.A picture of your set up would be worth at least 500 words.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
345 Posts
Johnny,
Are you suggesting that even though my motor still runs and seems to be able to vary in speed that it is no good now and probably the cause of my not being able to fly the plane?
Note that I do not see or smell any indication of burnt parts inside the motor.
Bob6831 is online now Find More Posts by Bob6831
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,081 Posts
Don't panic Bob. Use the force and trust what you see and hear. Even if the motor is slightly weakened it will still fly the plane. I don't think you have a problem there.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:46 PM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
Smoke is never good with electrical items. Essential parts of the motor left with the smoke, but it may have enough left in it to fly, or maybe not . I'm guessing at a possible cause from a long distance but from reading the thread it looks like everything else has been tried.
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
345 Posts
I did try once again to fly with no luck..... although each time I go it seems that I get a little more flight distance before plane dives right and crashes.... but never have gotten more than ~30 feet high and 30 yards long.
This last time I thought I may have found the problem. I had noticed that each time I crashed, I had had to re-straighten up my wings....... so I thought that maybe I was causing the wings to get off line from the jar of my hand launch....... but it appears that wasn't the problem. I also read that this plane requires the elevator to be quite even with the stabilizer so I adjusted that as well.
Note that I used some tape to hold the wings on tighter, but that did not work very well. What is a better way?
BTW - I am currently pursuing getting a new ESC figuring that I might have ruined this piece when it smoked some during 1 of my first attempts at flying this plane.
AND, I will be in Jacksonville, Florida in Jan-March, so I expect to go to a 'flying field' there and work with some of the 'experts'.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:20 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
~30 feet high and 30 yards long.

You may be trying to gain altitude too quickly and stalling the wing due to low airspeed.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Johnny,
Are you suggesting that even though my motor still runs and seems to be able to vary in speed that it is no good now and probably the cause of my not being able to fly the plane?
Note that I do not see or smell any indication of burnt parts inside the motor.
Sure the smoke wasn't from the esc ? When a motor gets jammed up it usually fries the esc. I have done it twice . try a different esc ..
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
345 Posts
See my last post. Trying to find what ESC I have and where can get new one. Is there any way to test whether ESC is bad OTHER than trying to fly the plane?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, CO, Northglenn
Joined Dec 2012
93 Posts
wild hawk learning curves.....

I am new to rc flight and found a wild hawk on the shelf @ my local hf. (nos prob) It seems the wild hawk is old news. The nice thing is there is a ton of info on these planes. mine had the usual tail heavy issues, stock tx and rx not the greatest, and it rolled left uncontrollably @ first. 1st attempts @ flying resulted in about 3 seconds of flight time and 3 crashes. with my trim all the way to the right and full right rudder it would go straight? visual inspection didnt find any real suspects......Online searches did bring me to rc groups on a regular basis and promped me to sign up. It also helped me find answers. it turned out the tail was slightly twisted in comparison to the fuse, causing that hard left bank. After a session with bq skewers , hot glue and tape, it was back to the field. A full flight, including landing! wth! sill required too much r trim and down elev trim. (almost all of it). moved battery and reciever forward, (like it sais to on many posts) adjusted servo horn and clevis to get rudder to behave and have equal turning in both directions. Now I can survive basic flight without too many issues. i have broken and repaired nose area several times in the learning process. Its ugly! but i am flying and even performed some loops and more aggressive maneuvers.=more agressive crashes and repairs! even a roll on rudder and elev. not sure why of how but it did it and diddnt crash? I have also added a 6x4 prop to the plane and it helps a little as colorado air is a little thin. stock electronics have performed well with this prop, but batt life suffered a little. (stock nmh pack) today i flew 4 batts with no crashes and 2 less than perfect landings. no repairs needed and about 12 min flight time per batt. Once the hawk cant be repaired anymore i will probably go for the axn. The pusher/glider setup is great cause your not killing the motor/prop/gearbox on crashes.
failed attempt (0 min 23 sec)

IMG 0075 (2 min 43 sec)
banknwank is offline Find More Posts by banknwank
Last edited by banknwank; Dec 03, 2012 at 06:37 PM.