HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
I do appreciate all the feedback....... but you educated flyers should remember that this forum name starts with "BEGINNER". So, I have no idea what is meant by flare, nor do I understand the sentence talking about "dual rates".
Thx.
Bob6831 is offline Find More Posts by Bob6831
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:16 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
You don't need to balance or do anything else to your wild hawk! I didn't. It's all broken and glued in a hundred pieces and still flies fine.

I had similar problems when I first flew my Wild Hawk. I discovered the prop was on backwards. Try turning the prop around. Once I did that my Wild Hawk went up
and up and up in the high sky!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
I think the prop is on right - when power up wind is behind the prop, not in front.
Thx
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:06 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,056 Posts
That may be true, but if the wrong side of the prop is facing forward, thrust will not be nearly as strong as it should be. Take another look at the diagram posted above and compare that to your setup to be sure.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Just re-checked and concave is facing rear.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Aug 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
Only went a few yards and then kind of nose dived even though I had moved the elevator control up........ Tried a few times with similar results (tried almost full speed)
What do you mean by "moved the elevator control up?" Did you push forward on the stick, or in other words move the control stick "up." Or did you pull back on the control stick which is the command for up elevator. You said the controls were "moving the right way." But as you said this is a beginner forum and it can't be assumed that you know what the "right" way actually is.

Using your terminology, moving the elevator control down makes that control surface move up which pushes the tail down and makes the aircraft climb. Moving the elevator control up makes the control surface move down which pushes the tail up and makes the aircraft dive.
rogue wolf is offline Find More Posts by rogue wolf
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Rogue, I understand .... down on control to make the plane go up and vice versa. I believe I was pushing down on the control.

Now for the latest........
Just came back from 2nd attempts at flying. Note that I added some styrofoam on the elevators and on the rudder, removed the roll of quarters-moved the battery as much as could forward. I did tape 7 quarters to the front of the plane such that I believe my CG now is about in the middle of the spar. Also note that my flying area is about 1/2 acre with a pond on one end which was the direction I was launching the plane today, into a little wind.
I did not do well, but did better than before... plane did go up some but was tending to go to the right and most I got was about 10-15 yards per flight. I went home after about 10 attempts, figuring my battery might be low and/or the plane bent too much or pieces coming off to much. Some observations:
1) The canopy cover latch is a joke - hard to latch and keeps coming off. Think I will just put an elastic band around it.
2) First time I crashed today, I forgot to turn motor off and when got to plane was a little smoke coming out from the engine. It seemed to be ok after, but I am wondering if any damage was actually done to the motor?
3) When I crashed my stabilizer keep coming out of the fuselage..... so believe I will need to put a little glue there. Will hot-glue work or will I need to get some of that foam safe CA glue?
4) Also when I crashed, it bent the front fuselage. I bent it back as much as I could, but am wondering how much twisting that can take before fully breaks.
Also, how much bend can there be in the fuselage without it affecting the performance?
5) Also got bending and some cracking on the back of the wings by the fuselage connections. Any way around this other than NOT crashing?
6) I may have been too concerned about running out of area and/or crashing into the lake so I may have tried to control the plane too soon rather than letting it get up in the air enough...... so is there another answer other than finding a larger area or getting another smaller radius plane (like the HobbyChamp - see my other post) ?
Thx
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:42 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Are you giving it up elevator as soon as you toss it?
If so it will never gain enough speed to fly.

The added stress of enlarging the control surfaces is what took the tail off.
CA or hot glue will work.
It shouldn't need that much, if any, nose weight to balance.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
50 Posts
Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with that particular aircraft or type so I can't give plane specific tips. In any case, you said on takeoff it climbed slightly while turning to the right. Then you get about 10-15 yards till you crash. Is the aircraft responsive to your inputs and you're just controlling it into the ground? Or does it seem very sluggish and doesn't respond at all (indicating possible stall).

With all due respect, since this is the beginner forum I'm more apt to single out pilot error than a fault of the plane (without cause). You're adding a lot of weight to the nose, I'll be surprised if it is really necessary.

Is it possible if you could post a video? It's hard to get a picture of what's going on by what you're saying.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
I am sure it IS pilot error for the most part, if not all.
I am adding the weight to the nose to get the CG where I have read that it should be - about 2.5 inches back from the front wing edge. Is this wrong?
If I get a movie file, how do I post it here?
In regards to the first question, I am not sure.... not in the air long enough..... but would be inclined to say 'controlling it into the ground'.
I have been moving the elevator control down pretty soon. Maybe I should wait a few seconds after launch?
Thx.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
find a club and they will help a lot. without it you're likely to get fed up and quit or spend alot of money on parts.
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
50 Posts
I don't know what the CG of that aircraft is so I can't help you there. What I will say, though, is that I doubt it's so far off that it should consume all of your focus.

I agree with others, if you can get an experienced pilot to help you out that would be the best thing you can do. I'll assume you can't for now.

I must reiterate that it is quite difficult to help someone through text without even seeing what their problem is. I don't know how to upload movies here, I'm quite new to the forum myself. You'd have to ask one of the other members for help with that. In any case, first thing you should do is remove those control surface extensions. It is extrodinarily unlikely that it doesn't have enough control authority to actually fly. If anything they'll make overcontrolling more likely.

Now for the takeoff. Since you have to hand launch, advance the throttle to 3/4 to full power. Give a "firm" but not hard throw straight ahead or slightly nose up. The point in the throw is to try and be as straight as possible, not to get great amount of velocity. It's an airplane not a football. Now here's the key...airplanes want to fly. I know it's hard to understand, but an airplane will stay in the air forever provided it has power and doesn't contact the ground. It's the people behind the controls that usually screw up to cause the latter.

Now after it leaves your hand, once again, the plane should "want" to fly. Any control inputs you make should be smooth and most importantly small. Here is all I want you to do for your first few flights. Concentrate on throwing the aircraft straight ahead. Once in the air just work on keeping it straight and level. No turn, climbs, or anything. If it wants to veer off to one side gently try to bring the aircraft in front of you again. Don't turn your body to keep it in front of you. To land, smoothly bring the power all the way back while smoothly pulling back on the control stick as the airplane gets closer to the ground. Once on the ground adjust your rudder trim so on the next flight the plane no longer veers right or left. This make take a few times since you said you don't have much space.

Once you get comfortable with flying straight and level, and are able to bring the plane back down to the ground when you want (bonus points if you can bring it down where you want) come back here and I'll talk you through the next step.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Thx for the replies..... I feel that problem may have been that I am moving the elevator control down too much and/or too soon and maybe causing a stall.
But.... before I try again, I really need answers to my questions on damage repair and on status of motor (after the smoke come out incident).
Thx
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Last flight for awhile.......

Ok, tried again....... and I did get a little more distance. But last flight, crashed and I broke the main fuselage, so have some gluing to do. Note that I still would like answers to my questions asked earlier about possible damage to my motor when smoke came out..... and how 'straight' the fuselage has to be.
....... I really think that my main hindrance to getting the plane to fly is my concern about running out of space such that I over-react as soon as I get the plane in the air. I will put this plane aside for now until I find a better place to fly it. Note that I checked a few schools and a Little League field and they all had Posted signs up, so I did not want to take a chance.
Am I giving up on flying? Heck no, I just bought a Hobbyzone Champ.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:40 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
Ok, tried again....... and I did get a little more distance. But last flight, crashed and I broke the main fuselage, so have some gluing to do. Note that I still would like answers to my questions asked earlier about possible damage to my motor when smoke came out..... and how 'straight' the fuselage has to be.
....... I really think that my main hindrance to getting the plane to fly is my concern about running out of space such that I over-react as soon as I get the plane in the air. I will put this plane aside for now until I find a better place to fly it. Note that I checked a few schools and a Little League field and they all had Posted signs up, so I did not want to take a chance.
Am I giving up on flying? Heck no, I just bought a Hobbyzone Champ.
I can't stress enough that you should practice a similar style flying plane on a simulator first. If you have windows XP or earlier you can try FMS sim..it's free to download. If you have Windows vista/7 you can still use it, but it will be more of a hassle to get working. I wouldn't start modifying control surfaces with foam until you can handle the plane in the air. This particular model is basically a clone of the ez star and flies just fine with the control surfaces the sizes they are. When launching the plane..go full throttle with slight up elevator, keep it steady and don't dump the elevator down or up..smooth motions are key. As for the motor smoking, there is no way we can tell if it is damaged through posts. If it works, it works. I'd suggest taking out the quarters you're adding and removing the additional foam from the control surfaces to start. If you're not comfortable with the flying space you have I'd suggest googling local soccer fields and trying there.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803