HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Build Log
Electric glider build

Hi All
Built using the M2A-e pod and fin mouldings from; www.kristoffair.co.uk
This is the second model Iíve built based on the high mounted V-tail configuration, the first 3m span ďGroovebirdĒ is (show below) and performs nicely. The new model (also see image below) is 3.7m span and now has a moulded fin which houses the two servos for the V-tail. Iíll post more information as the build progresses; I hope you guys find it interesting.
Chris.
kristoffair is offline Find More Posts by kristoffair
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:56 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,494 Posts
I'm very interested. I'll be following your build.

Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Hi All,
Fuselage now finished, radio ESC and motor fitted. Iíll post more information soon as the wings progress.
Chris.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,656 Posts
Do you make or buy the boom Chris? If bought, where?

Thanks,

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,222 Posts
Chris, are you going to be selling the molded fin mount?
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Hi Kevin & plane-tech.
Hyperflight stock two suitable booms, the 22mm will fit inside the pod and the 25mm will fit over the end of the pod.

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...ed-carbon-boom
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...ed-carbon-boom

The moulded fin mount will be available on my website soon,
www.kristoffair.co.uk
I can supply them now if you contact me.
Thanks for your interest.
Chris.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Hi
There is a new short video here showing more information regarding boom fitting and canopy hatch cutting.
http://www.kristoffair.co.uk/pod-pylon-angle-adjusment
Regards,
Chris
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
Scotland UK
Joined Jan 2005
277 Posts
I really liked the video, you make my efforts look so crude.
keep up the good work.
I have three of your pods and I am very happy with the value for money and the ease with which they can be utilised.
Regards
Ian
sandist is online now Find More Posts by sandist
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Thanks for your comments Ian, much appreciated.
Iíve added a second video now showing hatch fitting. I hope itís of interest.

http://www.kristoffair.co.uk/pod-pylon-angle-adjusment

Chris.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Interested

Chris... am awaiting your final results with great anticipation. I'd be interested in hearing more about the all up costs involved, it you don't mind sharing.

I was at my local field today and a guy showed up with an carbon fiber Explorer. I have never seen such a plane ... put my home-brew glass and vacuumed wing ship to shame (and I'm very proud of that plane). Still, I have never see a plane fly like his did... and yours seems in the same class.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Don
Don S is offline Find More Posts by Don S
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Hi Don
I hope to have my 3.7mtr span model flying early next year, it's my own design model utilising the M2A-e fuselage. The idea behind the M2A-e is to offer a cost effective, versatile fuselage for home builders/designers to help create their own professional looking model as not every one can afford or justify purchasing an exotic fully moulded carbon model. The original 3mtr Groovebird has a competitive performance and I hope the stretched span version will be better still. The moulded fin is a more elegant solution to the built up version too. I'm delighted to say the M2A-e has proved popular as lots of own design models have been produced using it. The fully moulded carbon models are excellent and have an outstanding performance but I do believe it's possible to build your own model at a much reduced cost and still be very competitive. People have already done so and I'm sure they enjoy their success even more knowing they have designed and produced a competitive model. There are many different aspects to model flying, personally I get great satisfaction flying my own home designed and built models.
However, I have been asked if a Groovebird kit will be available. I hope to offer a kit or ARTC version soon, I'll list the costs and details on my website as things develop.
Thanks for your interest,
Chris.
www.kristoffair.co.uk
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:29 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,729 Posts
Chris,

I really like what you're doing and wish you great success. Your pods look real nice and at a great value too. Long Live model building!

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
After a bit of a delay the wing panels have arrived. I supplied the spars and Barry at foamwings fitted them to the foam cores before bonding the skins. My request was for a set of wing panels with spars fitted. Iíll cut the flaps/ ailerons out myself and machine out the servo boxes.
The photos below show my progress. I hope to have the model finished soon.
Chris.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
The wings are almost finished now, servos are fitted and the control surfaces are connected. The last job is to fit the wing location dowel, the wing is then ready to bolt to the fuselage. The photo shows how the wires exit the wing to drop into the fuselage. I have fitted self connecting multiplex wing plugs to the servo wires on the outer panels.
I'll post some photos of the finished model soon and let you know how the test flights go.
Chris.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:51 AM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Hi again,
WellÖ..after a couple of weeks of snow and ice then another week of wind and rain, I finally got an hour of dry weather and light winds so managed a test flight. My first impression is that itís great; the extra wing area is noticeable which can only be good for lighter conditions. The controls are responsive; itís very similar to the 3m version. I only got a quick flight before it started to rain; Iíll post more info when I get the chance to fly it again and some in flight photos too.
Cheers,
Chris.