HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:08 AM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Question
Australian source for an O.S. Outboard Unit ?

G'day guys,

I'm playing with a Hornet F1 Tunnel Hull.
( It's my first boat, I'm used to playing with planes, helis and sailplanes. Heaps of pics etc in my blog.)

I've let the magic smoke out of the supplied inrunner, so I jury rigged the existing coupler and mount and I'm running a Turnigy 2836 2350KV outrunner on 3S as an interim measure.

I've got the ESC, batteries and motors ready to run 6S ( which was the plan from the beginning ) but I can't seem to source an OS outboard leg (21XM V2 ) in Australia. I'll have to source an adapter and coupler as well. I know I can get these items from the U.S., but does anyone know if I can source them anywhere in Australia?

Thanks in advance,
StReTcH1
Stretch1 is offline Find More Posts by Stretch1
Last edited by Stretch1; Oct 31, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:25 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,516 Posts
OUTBOARD LEGS CAN BE BOUGHT FROM wwwrcboatbitz.com.au
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:49 AM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Couzoff View Post
OUTBOARD LEGS CAN BE BOUGHT FROM wwwrcboatbitz.com.au
G'day Damian,

Thanks for the reply. I knew boatbitz sold the 'HOR Racing' legs, but I'm specifically chasing the chasing the O.S. unit. ( Boatbitz are out of stock for all legs at the moment.)

Cheers,

Stretch1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:59 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
I hope you're planning on a much bigger/better/stronger hull if you plan to run on OS leg with a big motor on 6s...
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
How bout a REK leg? I saw a vid where someone did that to a hornet, and it flies!
fatbill69 is offline Find More Posts by fatbill69
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:14 PM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I hope you're planning on a much bigger/better/stronger hull if you plan to run on OS leg with a big motor on 6s...
So you're saying my boat is small/inferior and weak?
I understand this is only a low end boat, that's why I'm playing with it.
(Not a lot of money invested, just putting my toe in the water so to speak.)
I've got a fondness for overpowering chassis and airframes.

Colin Chapman's philosophy "..if it breaks it isn't strong enough and if it doesnt break it's too heavy...." springs to mind!

If the first hull won't handle the strain, I can always step up.

Thanks for the concern.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbill69 View Post
How bout a REK leg? I saw a vid where someone did that to a hornet, and it flies!
G'day fatbill,

I'm using a similar powertrain, I just want to use an O.S. leg instead of the REK.
( It leaves me the option of bolting on a nitro motor at some stage in the future. Not on this hull.)

Thanks for the input,

Stretch1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:12 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
^^ The REK leg is a nitro leg at all, you could bolt up a nitro engine to it as well. The REK, OS and Lawless lower legs are all good options for nitro or electric. You'll have an easier time finding REK or Lawless legs alone since they were only sold as bare legs, most OS legs were sold with motors.

As for your hull... it's WAY too small for 6s. A ~29" tunnel is great on 4s, for 6s you want something more in the 32-34" range. Yours is smaller than both, and doesn't need that much power to get all the speed the hull can handle.

If you want a really good tunnel setup, check out the ML Boatworks PS295. It'll run FAST on 4s spec power, and handle really well too. If you want to run 6s look at 7.5cc hulls.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:41 AM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,232 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCP20&P=7

US only mate. Wouldn't order now, wait til after Christmas.
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch1 View Post
G'day fatbill,

I'm using a similar powertrain, I just want to use an O.S. leg instead of the REK.
( It leaves me the option of bolting on a nitro motor at some stage in the future. Not on this hull.)

Thanks for the input,

Stretch1
The REK leg was actually originally intended for nitro. I think it will give better performance as it is light, and the Hornet isn't exactly the toughest hull, so maybe it would be better to bolt carbon fiber to plastic than metal to plastic. If you want a steel unit, I would check out the lawless and hyperformance flex drive before considering the O.S.
fatbill69 is offline Find More Posts by fatbill69
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:48 AM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Interim Steps:

Thanks for all the input.
I'm still keen on the O.S. leg, but in interim I've got one each of these winging their way from the USA.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=OSE-80980
( Played with one of these this arvo on a mate's Hornet, it's a good thing.)

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ullet-outboard

I'm running a Turnigy 2836 Brushless 450-Size Heli Motor 3700kv on 3S one one of my hulls now. ( On the original leg.) It screams, it gets hot, but it's fast and a lot of fun! ( Managed to turn it into an aeroplane twice this afternoon in calm conditions, )

Now to charge some batteries and grease the flex shafts for tommorow's fun!
Last edited by Stretch1; Nov 10, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
The hyper performance gets good reviews, but I prefer the REK, lawless or OS because they aren't a full 90* cable bend. You'll definitely get good performance out of that leg if you can keep the boat on the water with that much power.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 05:00 AM
Joined Sep 2013
4 Posts
Hi , iv got the F1 hornet which fried its motor on its first run . so looking for a replacement . does the turnigy bolt straight in and does it need a water cooling jacket and can it run with all the other standard equipment , esc batt etc .
motawold is offline Find More Posts by motawold