to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:36 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
I just noticed the blue on the snorkel, did yours come that way or did you do that. it looks great! what paint did you use?, did you go to home depot for paint matching?
I added the blue, it's from a trim sheet of Monokote, there is just too much white on this plane, may add some more here and there.
I have heard that Home Depot can color match just about anything, I think someone here mentioned it
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
120 Posts
Thank you to all that contributed to this thread the last 24 hours. I had the joy of traveling on a commercial airline yesterday! There has been great information shared and many great ideas on how to improve this aircraft.

Jack, I love your idea on using the 3M product on the wing tips. I have used this product for years on my trucks and boat trailers. I should probably use this on all my wing tips.

I'm looking forward to getting flight performance feed back on many of the Victorys that have been shipped recently. We will have another shipment of Victorys next week.

Thanks again to all of you!
RC Scott is offline Find More Posts by RC Scott
Last edited by RC Scott; Feb 18, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
thanks bud I did find that site and I guess the 8mil stuff should work but Jack said 14mil so I was looking for that
I thought it was 14mil but it may be 8 as well, the paper backing is fairly heavy but doesn't say the thickness. That site I point to makes products for clear protection for cars, that's what I chose, trying to see if the model number from the order indicates thickness...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Scott View Post
Thank you to all that contributed to this thread the last 24 hours. I had the joy of traveling on a commercial airline yesterday! There has been great information shared and many great ideas on how to improve this aircraft.

Jack, I love your idea on using the 3M product on the wing tips. I have used this product for years on my trucks and boat trailers. I should probably use this on all my wing tips.

I'm looking forward to getting flight performance feed back on many of the Victorys that have been shipped recently. We will have another shipment of Victorys next week.

Thanks again to all of you!
I am really looking forward to seeing it take off on one fan (if Pablo has the stones, though I probably shouldn't challenge him as it wasn't his greenbacks that paid for it!). Wednesday looks like a good day so far! ;-)

Jack
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:55 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
It's a little too windy outside today so what can I find to add/tweak/change/fix! I was at an event this summer and a guy I met that was checking out my pattern plane, gave me a roll of some plastic-looking tape, about 2 1/2" wide after watching my Sebart Mig skid down the runway on the built-in skids and saying this would help prevent wear. He's an aircraft mechanic and said this was the stuff they used on the leading edges of propellers to prevent damage from bugs and other small debrit, he said it prevents chips and dents.

He also said it's very expensive but has a shelf life as well, so when close to expiration (for applying), they use it up but it was incredibly tough stuff! So while considering the easiest way to cut long, straight strips from my 18" roll of 3M laminate, I remembered this stuff and got the roll out, perfect! I cut strips for the leading edges of the wing, stabs and tail, it's very soft going on and can be streched a little which makes it bend around and form perfectly to the wing, it takes the shape easily and sticks like crazy. Time will tell how durable it is in this application...

Jack
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:32 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
It's a little too windy outside today so what can I find to add/tweak/change/fix! I was at an event this summer and a guy I met that was checking out my pattern plane, gave me a roll of some plastic-looking tape, about 2 1/2" wide after watching my Sebart Mig skid down the runway on the built-in skids and saying this would help prevent wear. He's an aircraft mechanic and said this was the stuff they used on the leading edges of propellers to prevent damage from bugs and other small debrit, he said it prevents chips and dents.

He also said it's very expensive but has a shelf life as well, so when close to expiration (for applying), they use it up but it was incredibly tough stuff! So while considering the easiest way to cut long, straight strips from my 18" roll of 3M laminate, I remembered this stuff and got the roll out, perfect! I cut strips for the leading edges of the wing, stabs and tail, it's very soft going on and can be streched a little which makes it bend around and form perfectly to the wing, it takes the shape easily and sticks like crazy. Time will tell how durable it is in this application...

Jack
Jack,
Now you are just teasing us, you have it and we can't All kidding aside, it looks like it will do a great job.

Mike
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:21 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,988 Posts
Nice

Mike,

You Victory add on looks nice, I guess I am going to change the paint job on mine a little bit too.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Well after being a pest with question after question, I think it's about as ready as it going to get! I have the balance right at 3 3/4" and we will go from there, with that sliding battery tray (pretty cool) it will be easy to adjust the C.G. The throws are pretty high but I can switch to low rates if need be, plus a little expo here and there. The RTF weight is 11 LB 2 OZ, no one has mentioned the weight, but I guess it is what is.
Thanks again,
Mike
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,980 Posts
Might as well buy one of the PC versions Jack and save all the sticky tape. I do believe the PC versions will be the way to go.........but that does look good Jack.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,980 Posts
By the way most auto stores carry the clear tape (I think by 3-M) called Stoneguard...........protects your car from road debris and stones. I have used this on some of my foamies.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:57 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,021 Posts
Does anyone know what the material is that the wing bolts screw into, I had an oops moment and stripped one out Now I need to go up a size and tap out whatever material they screw into. Now at least, I can get some decent bolts that are not metric with phillips heads on them, and use something like a 6/32 or 8/32 bolt
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:40 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965 View Post
Might as well buy one of the PC versions Jack and save all the sticky tape. I do believe the PC versions will be the way to go.........but that does look good Jack.
I might have had they been in stock ;-)

Jack
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:43 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Does anyone know what the material is that the wing bolts screw into, I had an oops moment and stripped one out Now I need to go up a size and tap out whatever material they screw into. Now at least, I can get some decent bolts that are not metric with phillips heads on them, and use something like a 6/32 or 8/32 bolt
Fill it in with a quality epoxy and/or double it with hard wood and simply re-drill the same size hole in the same place. If it's not stripped too bad, you can get some medium CA in, it usually builds up and hardens the stripped threads enough to get good purchase again...

Jack
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:05 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Fill it in with a quality epoxy and/or double it with hard wood and simply re-drill the same size hole in the same place. If it's not stripped too bad, you can get some medium CA in, it usually builds up and hardens the stripped threads enough to get good purchase again...

Jack
Hey Jack,

Thanks for the fix, I really would like to change out those screws anyway. I really don't like the phillip head type screws that will constantly be used, sooner or later I will slip off and have a new hole in the wing! If they had socket head cap screws it would be much better, less chance of a hole in the wing.

Mike
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:47 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,983 Posts
Go to Ace Hardware and get some "T" nuts and Allen head screws.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff