HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
120 Posts
I just got off the phone with Tam and it looks like he will be the first to make a significant power plant change to the twin!
RC Scott is offline Find More Posts by RC Scott
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:34 PM
It's watts for dinner
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
939 Posts
Quick questions for the gallery. Chalk this up as strike number two after my LiFe / A123 question the other day.

I started setting up my power infrastructure today (changing connectors, re-wiring the BEC for the gear, etc.) and realized that the red ESC wires are still in place. Normally I'd pull the red wires since I'm powering the receiver separately but I was wondering if these might be OPTOs? Can't tell since they are stuck in the back of the plane. I also can't find the ESC manual to check - I may have accidentally tossed it out.

Also on the ESCs - one of the brakes is on, and one is off, and without the manual I don't know how to program it. Anyone have or willing to scan their programming guide?

Oh, who wants to see my box? It's really big and special. Nah, I'll spare you. Actually the box was in pretty bad shape - one corner was very crunched, and in fact it appears to have gotten well soaked in that area at some point (not outside my house, it was held at FedEx) because it was still damp inside. But fortunately the plane itself was fine.
sjw985 is offline Find More Posts by sjw985
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
You were right... You sound like an old fart... We're simply having internet small talk.

BTW, a simple click allows you (or anyone else) to UNSUBSCRIBE...

Jack
I think that we should cherish the privilege to speak our minds as long as we don't resort to or hint at name-calling.
delperena is online now Find More Posts by delperena
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:35 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
SWJ

You didn't toss out the maanual, there are no manuals. However the parts are Lander, so perhaps you can get something off the web site.If that doesn't work, you might contact Max at Park RC, he sells Lander products.

Grandpa Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:38 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
Jack,

Glaad to see that you are so excited about something.I'm happy for ya.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:21 AM
Joined Feb 2006
455 Posts
SWJ,

There are 2 documents included in my Twin Victory "Huge Box" - "Gear and Door Sequencer Operational Manual" and a manual on RCL Brushless ESC.

While, I cannot identify the 2 ESC's, the manual says it is a 100A Opto.

If you need a copy of the ESC manual, PM your e-mail.

Thanks for spearheading the build. I still don't understand the difficulty with battery-ESC connections. It appears straight forward with matching bullets.

Regards,

Del
delperena is online now Find More Posts by delperena
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:35 AM
Oman, Masqat
Joined Apr 2010
321 Posts
Is thebpc version worth the wait?
Boostoman is offline Find More Posts by Boostoman
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:26 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delperena View Post
I think that we should cherish the privilege to speak our minds as long as we don't resort to or hint at name-calling.
Really? This is a Radio Contol forum on a voluntary site dedicated TO the very same model that someone is asking "why we're talking about it so much", you even have to subscribe or otherwise post in the forum for it to affect you in any way... and that's what you got from it, cherish feee speech? Part of me was kidding Al the first time but really?

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:09 AM
Joined Dec 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985 View Post
Quick questions for the gallery. Chalk this up as strike number two after my LiFe / A123 question the other day.

I started setting up my power infrastructure today (changing connectors, re-wiring the BEC for the gear, etc.) and realized that the red ESC wires are still in place. Normally I'd pull the red wires since I'm powering the receiver separately but I was wondering if these might be OPTOs? Can't tell since they are stuck in the back of the plane. I also can't find the ESC manual to check - I may have accidentally tossed it out.

Also on the ESCs - one of the brakes is on, and one is off, and without the manual I don't know how to program it. Anyone have or willing to scan their programming guide?

Oh, who wants to see my box? It's really big and special. Nah, I'll spare you. Actually the box was in pretty bad shape - one corner was very crunched, and in fact it appears to have gotten well soaked in that area at some point (not outside my house, it was held at FedEx) because it was still damp inside. But fortunately the plane itself was fine.
Hi Steve,

There are no BEC's in the speed controllers and you do not need to cut the red power wire. You should have the ESC programing manual in the bag with the hardware. Sorry if you did not get one. I will email you a scan of the ESC manual when I get to the office. Make sure to calibrate the ESC 's to your transmitter.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:12 AM
Joined Dec 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delperena View Post
SWJ,

There are 2 documents included in my Twin Victory "Huge Box" - "Gear and Door Sequencer Operational Manual" and a manual on RCL Brushless ESC.

While, I cannot identify the 2 ESC's, the manual says it is a 100A Opto.

If you need a copy of the ESC manual, PM your e-mail.

Thanks for spearheading the build. I still don't understand the difficulty with battery-ESC connections. It appears straight forward with matching bullets.

Regards,

Del
Hi Del, The twin Victory comes with the 100A opto's. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:13 AM
It's watts for dinner
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
939 Posts
Del,

Thanks for the reply - I actually found the ESC manual this morning. You're probably right about it being the 100 opto, but after sleeping I realized (duh) I can do a very simple test to figure it out. I'll just plug in the main batt without the rx batt and see if the rx powers up. Simple, but I was tired last night.

I don't have matching bullets for my batts. I bought two types of 6 MM in advance but neither fits flush. So, I may regret this later but I replaced the 6MM bullets with EC5s. I have a couple of 90A+ 6S 90MM CS12s that I power with EC5s and have never had an issue, and I rarely fly WOT for extended periods anyway. It's not my style.

Anyway... Still have alot of work to do but I may still be on track to fly Sunday, WX, schedule, and nerves permitting.

Oh, by the way - I have a Futaba 8FGS and I've been using the Corona R14FA 14-channel receiver in my many-servo planes and will be using the 14 in this one as well. It's a flipping bargain ($30 each on HK) and a great match for lotsa-channel FASST systems. Plenty of positive comments/reviews and so far Corona 8 and 14 ch RXs have been bulletproof for me.

Ah, Scott replied while I was writing this - thanks for the confirmation on the 100 optos!
sjw985 is offline Find More Posts by sjw985
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Dec 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985 View Post
Del,

Thanks for the reply - I actually found the ESC manual this morning. You're probably right about it being the 100 opto, but after sleeping I realized (duh) I can do a very simple test to figure it out. I'll just plug in the main batt without the rx batt and see if the rx powers up. Simple, but I was tired last night.

I don't have matching bullets for my batts. I bought two types of 6 MM in advance but neither fits flush. So, I may regret this later but I replaced the 6MM bullets with EC5s. I have a couple of 90A+ 6S 90MM CS12s that I power with EC5s and have never had an issue, and I rarely fly WOT for extended periods anyway. It's not my style.

Anyway... Still have alot of work to do but I may still be on track to fly Sunday, WX, schedule, and nerves permitting.

Oh, by the way - I have a Futaba 8FGS and I've been using the Corona R14FA 14-channel receiver in my many-servo planes and will be using the 14 in this one as well. It's a flipping bargain ($30 each on HK) and a great match for lotsa-channel FASST systems. Plenty of positive comments/reviews and so far Corona 8 and 14 ch RXs have been bulletproof for me.

Ah, Scott replied while I was writing this - thanks for the confirmation on the 100 optos!
Make sure to calibrate the ESC's to your transmitter and make sure the brakes are off.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:47 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,243 Posts
Scott,

The FedEx guy came today, nice job! I have to say the box itself, the packaging (i.e. wrapping in foam with the proper tape and everything then wrapped in plastic and then all of it securely taped in-place in the box, the overall design and execution, fit and finish and ease of assembly is absolutely excellent! I keep hearing some dismiss this as just "a foamie" but that is just the material used, the same engineering to make all the parts fit together, seams line up, hinges and horns and other mechanical things work as they should still go into the engineering of the product and I am impressed! Again, nice job all around!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:48 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,310 Posts
I remember when the the Alfa Foamys first came on the scene everybody scoffed at the Idea of moulded Depron FOAM. Well they looked great and flew even better. I wish Alfa made larger moulded jets for the 80-90mm market
Foam is here to stay.

The Victory is heads and shoulder above the average foamy because it is well designed and executed.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
120 Posts
[QUOTE=jfetter;24145372]Scott,

The FedEx guy came today, nice job! I have to say the box itself, the packaging (i.e. wrapping in foam with the proper tape and everything then wrapped in plastic and then all of it securely taped in-place in the box, the overall design and execution, fit and finish and ease of assembly is absolutely excellent! I keep hearing some dismiss this as just "a foamie" but that is just the material used, the same engineering to make all the parts fit together, seams line up, hinges and horns and other mechanical things work as they should still go into the engineering of the product and I am impressed! Again, nice job all around!

Jack[/QUOTE

Hi Jack,

Thank you for all the kind comments. The credit really needs to go to Rick Schrameck. He's worked for over one and a half years with the manufacturer to get things right. We also need to thank Tim Wan and his team at RC Lander for the quality manufacturing. Rick is also working on some great new projects, like the 1.6 meter PC covered Victory and the new 2 meter all fiberglass composite Victory. We will also be bringing back the 3 meter Victory for all the turbine guys. I feel very fortunate to be able to supply this high quality, excellent flying aircraft to all of you. Please keep all the comments coming and we also like to get feedback on the things we can improve. Have a great weekend flying!

Scott