HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Bmatthews:

Your comments are welcome but you are insulting everyones intellegence with your constant ramblings about basic engineering concepts. I understand that an angled structure is more stable and that a wing must handle forces other than a shoe acting directly ontop of it. And I understand your g-force to sandbag loading experiment, not that I agree its a good measure of what forces a plane will actually experiance during flight.
nkalex is offline Find More Posts by nkalex
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:39 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,441 Posts
Quote:
you are insulting everyones intellegence
Priceless.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,979 Posts
Hold on there- B matthews is a highly respected member here.His 'engineering principles' are never in doubt- his credentials have been checked.

Your request for information has been answered,and we can do without the attitude....We don't think your structure will work....and we're trying to keep you from wasting your time. We don't care it you waste YOUR time,but if you can't take information and evaluate it,you're wasting ours.

Getting back to your question of covering,if your structure will support flight,then a good fabric covering will do the job..It's extremely difficult to get fabric to stick to metal frameworks,so they are usually applied with adhesives that bond the covering to itself,then shrunk with heat before finishing with paint.

Once more- the sag between ribs has been with us since the Wright Brothers,and by gosh,we've learned to cope with it by now.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
In the end your structure might just work. But if it does fly and doesn't fold under light loads it'll be more due to good luck than good engineering.

And just for a little FYI the distributed sandbag wing loading is another time honored "engineering trick" to evaluate the strength of wings. I didn't just make that up. It's something you can do easily and see if the structure will hold or fold before you go any farther with this project.

As I said in a post above. I DO comend you on trying something different. But you can't simply ignore proper engineering. Although you seem to be doing a good job of trying. So with that I'll simply bid you best of luck and bow away.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews