HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
So any advice in the coating department or do you guys only want to talk about what a non-traditional design it is?
nkalex is offline Find More Posts by nkalex
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:37 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
Why go to all the trouble of using Lexan and all that jazz? Go buy some light cloth and stitch it over the frames like they once did for full-scale planes.

Or is that too traditional?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:21 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,269 Posts
Guys, does the troll have to hit you over the head with his steel framed, canvas and lexan coated wings to get you to realize what's going on here? Good grief!
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,593 Posts
We've been stretching fabric over 13" spans between ribs on full size ,man-carrying airplanes for 100 years-that part you don't scare me with.
I have some spaces on 1/3 scale models that are 5" and they fly fine,with rag covering properly installed.

Just listen when we speak ! your steel plans are not so good.....and you're most likely wasting your time...more weight needs more power,which translates to more weight,which you don't need.
Forgetaboutit ! Use wood...
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,593 Posts
Report# 16

That did it for me! You ask for input,then drop a bomb....Please post a video of the crash.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
We've been stretching fabric over 13" spans between ribs on full size ,man-carrying airplanes for 100 years-that part you don't scare me with.
Thank you, this is the kind of thing I was looking for.
I don't understand why you guys are acting like my wing is such a terrible idea, if it stays together in flight does it matter what the size/weight ratio is?

Sure it might be heavier than a wing with similar size made out of composite but who cares? I will make up for it with thrust.

Wings don't just spontaneously combust if they are a pound heavier than composite, or do they? Am I missing something here? Should I spill some blood to the god of flight so my plane doesnt get struck by lightning?

But I understand, the strongest human drive is to do what is familiar.

And to c4h10: the attitude of "if it worked why hasn't it been done" is crazy, if everyone had this attitude there would be no technological innovation. Also, I believe the word you are looking for is "litmus test" not "acid test", an acid test is a much different thing. Im suprised you overlooked this with your chemistry themed name.
Last edited by nkalex; Nov 09, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:46 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,001 Posts
I've been following this thread a bit.

Wood has always been a "standard" in wing building. It has worked well for many years.

You want to try a "non traditional" material. Go for it and see what happens. If it fails, you will have learned something in the process. If it succeeds you have learned something in the process. Either way you will learn something.

ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:40 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
I actually commend your desire to do something different. But you seem intent on not only doing something different but at the same time doing it badly. Namely the "spars" for the wing. They won't combust but at the first steep turn or dive pullout the unsupported thin blades will simply turn into a "concertina" and the wing will collapse or radically deform.

All it would take would be the addition of two runs of L section steel fixed to the webs you've shown. One on the top and one on the bottom to turn the poor design into a good one.

Try it for yourself to see what we mean. Take a strip of pop can metal that is flat and push from each end. Crumples pretty quickly, right? Now bend the second same size strip into an L shape and try it again. It's a LOT more stiff and resists the compression failure.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:47 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,002 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent the fabric covering from sagging between the ribs, no matter how tightly it is stretched. The problem is not so much the spanwise distance of the ribs from each other but the leading and trailing edges being "lower" than the rib tops and bottoms, that causes the sag to occur.

And don't worry about the nay-sayers. Google "Fleetwings Sea Bird" for a really well-designed full-size seaplane made entirely of stainless steel...spot-welded throughout the entire airframe! I've seen it--it's a work of art.

Also, I'd advise not using actual covering fabric for full-size airplanes, as you mentioned Poly-Fiber. I'd go with one of the non-woven polyester fabrics such as sold by BP Hobbies or FAI Model supply. Don't over-shrink the covering as it might deform the structure.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:54 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,392 Posts
Why not have the wings machined from a billet? That will save all the extra work of covering. Then you can hit it with a quick coat of Rustoleum and be done. It'll be almost as practical.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:29 AM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
Post up the weight of the wing before you assemble it along with the rest of the airframe. If this does fail get some very good pics and see how it could be improved. That's if there is any real advantages in the end.
scrub monkey is online now Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Man look how flimsy this snapped together wing is , not even brazed together yet and it held 160lbs where I stood.

You guys are right, it will probably explode mid-flight because it isnt made using traditional methods.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:02 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
Can you camp one rib in the vice and stand on another rib maybe three out or so? If it holds then this may just work. Is it going on a balsa fuse?
scrub monkey is online now Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:48 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalex View Post
Man look how flimsy this snapped together wing is , not even brazed together yet and it held 160lbs where I stood.

You guys are right, it will probably explode mid-flight because it isnt made using traditional methods.
So far so good. Keep us updated!

ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:36 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Big deal.... I can balance my 200 lbs on an empty pop can with a bit of care. And it's a darn sight lighter than your steel parts.

And again you are assuming that strength in one way means that it will be strong in every way. But the structure will be loaded up in an entirely different manner when in flight and during high G turns and dive recovery than it is with you standing on one of the X's form by the rib and spar pieces.

Braze the bits together then clamp the root end in a vise and then hang bags of sand along the spar evenly. It's not uncommon for a model to need to withstand 10G's during an aggresive dive pullout. And if we can assume a 14 to 18 lb model from the size of your ribs that means each side will need to hold up pretty much 8 x 10 = 80 lbs based on a 16 lb model.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews