SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:50 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
354 Posts
1/2 hour to be safe? Have you ever flown for 1/2 hour continuously? I would be curious about 5 or 10 minutes. Servo connectors get warm at 2 amps during charging and I wouldn't trust them for 5 amps cont. Peaks might get up pretty high but in reality in a typical heli application you most likely don't draw where near that. One day there will be a better servo connector, or at least a better power connector to the main bus. Well spectrum has their power safe receivers.
lrb75 is online now Find More Posts by lrb75
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb75 View Post
1/2 hour to be safe? Have you ever flown for 1/2 hour continuously? I would be curious about 5 or 10 minutes. Servo connectors get warm at 2 amps during charging and I wouldn't trust them for 5 amps cont. Peaks might get up pretty high but in reality in a typical heli application you most likely don't draw where near that. One day there will be a better servo connector, or at least a better power connector to the main bus. Well spectrum has their power safe receivers.

Yes I have several flights over an hour. My FPV routinely flies for half an hour but I have a separate BEC for that one.

Someone needs to do a good endurance test to make sure that the internal BEC and connector can really deliver what CC claims.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2011
267 Posts
Was gifted a coupon to Castle and so I ordered one of these a few weeks ago, received it on November 8th. Got it all set and installed to run in a plane, but haven't gotten out to fly yet. It's an impressive ESC to just handle, If it works half as well as it looks and feels I'll be thrilled.

Got it set up to run 5 standard high torque high speed servos and one standard analog servo. Will be running 6s to a Rimfire 80. Should be a piece of cake for it.
Never ran a 6s setup in a plane before though, so it'll definitely be an experience. Biggest plane so far by a good amount.

I'll report back if I ever get her in the air!
-Jeff
midnightsabotage is offline Find More Posts by midnightsabotage
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:56 PM
hamilton Vic
Joined Jun 2006
180 Posts
How do we calibrate the endpoints when using the internal governor (I have a castle link)?

Is it the same as the prevous ICE versions?
beans07 is offline Find More Posts by beans07
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Calibration is the same as on the ICE or any other Castle controller.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,189 Posts
Question answered via phonecall to Castle.....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Last edited by Zeeb; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
Toronto
Joined Aug 2008
139 Posts
225mg servos

Will it work with Hitec 225mg servos. Also, I am assuming a spectrum AR7000 RX should be OK.
canso is online now Find More Posts by canso
Old May 09, 2013, 09:23 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
I can’t get my Talon ESC to arm.

I have followed the Mr. Mel Castle Creations/Vbar governor video and DO NOT mess with the “Throttle Servo Adjustment” settings. I keep them at -100 and 100. The problem is that I can’t get the ESC to arm. The only way I can get it to arm if the Vbar governor is activated is If I pull the -100 all the way down to -120.

I have tried turning off Governor mode and done the old tried and true Castle Creations calibrations stuff per the video with Clint. The ESC then works perfectly but obviously it’s not in Governor mode which is what I’m after.

I’ve got concerns having the thing set so far out of “spec” or what’s the norm. The other thing is that the ESC now has a long delay when I flip out of throttle hold. In watching Episode 20 I want to lower the number as needed until there is no delay.

I've only tried it on the floor with no blades and once the ESC arms everything seems to be working great. It shows headspeeds VERY close to my requested values.

Do you guys have any thoughts?
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old May 10, 2013, 05:53 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I can’t get my Talon ESC to arm.

I have followed the Mr. Mel Castle Creations/Vbar governor video and DO NOT mess with the “Throttle Servo Adjustment” settings. I keep them at -100 and 100. The problem is that I can’t get the ESC to arm. The only way I can get it to arm if the Vbar governor is activated is If I pull the -100 all the way down to -120.

I have tried turning off Governor mode and done the old tried and true Castle Creations calibrations stuff per the video with Clint. The ESC then works perfectly but obviously it’s not in Governor mode which is what I’m after.

I’ve got concerns having the thing set so far out of “spec” or what’s the norm. The other thing is that the ESC now has a long delay when I flip out of throttle hold. In watching Episode 20 I want to lower the number as needed until there is no delay.

I've only tried it on the floor with no blades and once the ESC arms everything seems to be working great. It shows headspeeds VERY close to my requested values.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Try this... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734298
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old May 10, 2013, 05:32 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
I'm totally cool with the idea. Sounds great. Should have thought of it myself.

I do have a concern though. Those directions discuss an alternate source of power (BEC or I'm assuming a LIFE pack). I can see how that would work great with the HV ESC's that have no BEC but I'm assuming I've got to pull the red wire from my ESC's servo plug so I don't have two sources of power fighting?

Or does the BEC in the Talon stay inactive unless you hook up a flight battery?
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:08 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-city, Sofia
Joined Aug 2012
174 Posts
New firmware update 4.12 beta from 23 July 2013

- Adjusted the handling of Spool Up Speed to allow slower startups for scale heli's
- Made improvements to motor tracking
- Edge and Edge HV: Added BEC Voltage data logging support
- Phoenix 35,60,80,140: Bug fix: Fixed issues with voltage, current, and temperature cutoffs
- Phoenix 35,60,80,140: Bug fix: Fixed issues causing some controllers to not reach full power
cdmanbg is online now Find More Posts by cdmanbg
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:11 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I'm totally cool with the idea. Sounds great. Should have thought of it myself.

I do have a concern though. Those directions discuss an alternate source of power (BEC or I'm assuming a LIFE pack). I can see how that would work great with the HV ESC's that have no BEC but I'm assuming I've got to pull the red wire from my ESC's servo plug so I don't have two sources of power fighting?

Or does the BEC in the Talon stay inactive unless you hook up a flight battery?
Yes you will need to isolate the internal BEC... I like to use a servo extension with the center wire removed.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:01 AM
I didn't crash I landed hard
Joined Sep 2012
123 Posts
i just ordered one of the talon 90 escs and im wondering if is not powerful to run a rimfire 1.20
SLICK580 is offline Find More Posts by SLICK580
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:57 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK580 View Post
i just ordered one of the talon 90 escs and im wondering if is not powerful to run a rimfire 1.20
The Rimfire is only rated for 50 amps continuous for the Talon 90 is way larger than you need. It will be heavier than you need but it will work ok.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:32 PM
I didn't crash I landed hard
Joined Sep 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
The Rimfire is only rated for 50 amps continuous for the Talon 90 is way larger than you need. It will be heavier than you need but it will work ok.

hahhahahahahah and I thought I needed a bigger esc
SLICK580 is offline Find More Posts by SLICK580