Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:07 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Discussion
Spectrum Module for JR and now Futaba! OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module for $30

HK just released this product today and I have been waiting something like this for awhile now. I have turnigy 9x that I use both with the stock module and with FrSky. HK sells the spectrum receiver clones for dirt cheap and I always wanted to use them on my 9x but of course it wasn't possible. Well, now it is and this thing looks very promising.
JR module

The futaba module

Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Last edited by Koo; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:28 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Yep, saw it this morning on the HK site,that's awesome news, all we need now is the Futaba/Hitec version, which is being made by the manufacturer, it's just that Hobby King has yet to offer it.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,539 Posts
There was a buddy code to get it for $16 but it's off now. I would have got it for that for the 9x I am planning to mod. Don't need it I guess.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
387 Posts
Does anyone know if this would be compatible with the older 72mhz JR module systems? It seems like it should work (as it's still a JR module based 5 pin system), but then I've read that a turnigy 9x module will not work on a 72mhz system without mods... so it would follow that if this orange module works with the 9x, it will not work with 72mhz stuff.

Anyone know? I love the thought of $5.99 receivers for my cheapy parkfliers!
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Does anyone know if this would be compatible with the older 72mhz JR module systems? It seems like it should work (as it's still a JR module based 5 pin system), but then I've read that a turnigy 9x module will not work on a 72mhz system without mods... so it would follow that if this orange module works with the 9x, it will not work with 72mhz stuff.

Anyone know? I love the thought of $5.99 receivers for my cheapy parkfliers!
From the description:

Features:
Standard JR compatible 5-pin connection (works with any JR compatible module-based transmitter)
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:00 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
It seems this is finally a chance to buy the as3x planes from horizon and the mcpx with a good 6 ch radio for cheap. I don't trust the dsm2 choice for $5.99 receivers but the dsmx is worth it. Horizon has a great carbon cub micro and the small mcpx heli and quad that have integrated rx and servo ESC combos.
H
shelterock is online now Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:57 AM
USA, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
357 Posts
Is this really DSMX module? or just compatible since dsmx RX will work with DSM2 tx
Beancounter is online now Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:37 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
Is this really DSMX module? or just compatible since dsmx RX will work with DSM2 tx
It offers 4 modes according to the HK website two of which are DSMX 22ms, DSMX 11ms. You can switch between the 4 modes so I'm pretty sure it will work with DSMX. I mean HK has had its share of false advertisement lately so I wouldn't be 100% sure if this is true or not.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Apr 2005
23 Posts
Can it be converted to a PPM DIY Kit

Hi Guys,
can this module be modified to a DIY-Hack to work with internal PPM signals such as JR/Grauper systems have, e.g. MX16S, MX12,...
What input does the module need?

There are some "Trainer-Port" DIY-Kits out there including using the TX module of an DX4/5/6 and an ardunio or the ASSAN or FR-Sky module, but I havn't seen one for DSM2 or DSMX.
I also read that the original Spektrum Kit for MC22 (SPMMS20401) works for conversion. This would be a really cheap alternative removing the neccessity to buy used DX4/5/6...
danzbox is offline Find More Posts by danzbox
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,091 Posts
Got mine today and they work fantastic
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Apr 2005
23 Posts
Module is on stock again. Still nobody has expierence if this module can be used as a DIY module without casing in JR/Graupner transmitters (MX-16S, MX-12,...)?
danzbox is offline Find More Posts by danzbox
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danzbox View Post
Module is on stock again. Still nobody has expierence if this module can be used as a DIY module without casing in JR/Graupner transmitters (MX-16S, MX-12,...)?
I wouldnt think anyone does yet. Its literally brand new. Heck I bought my 3 the day they were released and paid for ems and I just got them last week. Give it a few weeks and see where it goes.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Yep, saw it this morning on the HK site,that's awesome news, all we need now is the Futaba/Hitec version, which is being made by the manufacturer, it's just that Hobby King has yet to offer it.

A little late but, Does anyone sell this yet? Who are the other vendors selling the Orange products? US based?
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
A little late but, Does anyone sell this yet? Who are the other vendors selling the Orange products? US based?
You're only chance is probably Ebay, because some scammers buy lots of units (depleting stock status completly) when they think they can make a profit out of them, and then sell them on Ebay for 3 times the price. Best example is the Turnigy transmitter. It's almost always out of stock at Hobby King, but always selling on Ebay for way more than it cost. I'm amazed that some people buy those units though.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2006
124 Posts
Units are now back in stock in the International warehouse. Does anyone have any links to possible reviews? I'm thinking of buying one but not sure if it works the way they say it does
radio freak is online now Find More Posts by radio freak