HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:15 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
My big problem with the spear's aerodynamics was the abrupt change of the center section. Inbetween the two sides, the rear of the fuse area just dumps the air right before the fan. If that was filled in, and a splitter added that lead directly up to the fan, I think you'd eliminate alot of drag.

Also, on the rear end, the fuse doesn't taper back nicely. There's a nice big step before the end of the fuse and the EDF unit. If you fill that in, and taper it back softly, you'd pickup some speed aswell.

Are the spear's still available? I haven't flown an EDF in a while, and it would be fun to pick one up again. I'd probably only shoot for 120-130 though.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:17 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,266 Posts
fh64ucky is that CAT powered? :-))
stoneenforcer is online now Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:18 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
After looking at Steves, thats exactly what we are going to do and that should be the piece that puts us over the 200mph mark...I knew it needed to be done I just never got around to trying it.....
LOL Stone...you know it! =)
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:08 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Two more spears coming??! JOY!!!
Can't wait!!

Joe'll be over 200. I'll be a little over that.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:50 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
LOL!!!!!! this will turn into full contact, I can see it now.....
Spears are a lucky find here and there...I seem to have decent luck getting them from private sales somehow.
Its not the takeoff or flights that hurt them,its the dang touch n go on landings that kill them with wing overs.
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Nov 02, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
My big problem with the spear's aerodynamics was the abrupt change of the center section. Inbetween the two sides, the rear of the fuse area just dumps the air right before the fan. If that was filled in, and a splitter added that lead directly up to the fan, I think you'd eliminate alot of drag.

Also, on the rear end, the fuse doesn't taper back nicely. There's a nice big step before the end of the fuse and the EDF unit. If you fill that in, and taper it back softly, you'd pickup some speed aswell.

Are the spear's still available? I haven't flown an EDF in a while, and it would be fun to pick one up again. I'd probably only shoot for 120-130 though.
Is this what you're saying, Pete?
That chunk bothered me too, so I just went to town with some foam and a heated up pushrod. Still needs some cleanup but I think I'm on the right track.
I'll finish filling and smoothing around the intake at the sides, as there's a pretty good step there between the body glass and the fan mounting ring.
As a note, my Spear is actually a clone, so it may have a few details different from an Ultrafly Spear.
I've also cut up a slushie cup (small size from Sonic is perfect) to fair in the gap from the aft body to the thrust tube's end.
It'll be pretty "slickened" up when I'm done

The more airframe talk we get going in here, the better I see the Spear is for a high speed ship. (yep Joe, you told me...)
Last edited by murdnunoc; Nov 02, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:48 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
To a certain extent, yes that's what I meant.

Try to draw to two sides together, so that they keep the left and right sides of the incoming air from mixing before hitting the fan. Basically, you want to keep the left side, and the right side separated until just before the fan.

Also, some extra rounding on the outside intake lips never hurts. As round and as smooth as possible.

The sharp edges of fighters make people think that sharp=fast, but that's not really true when we are talking sub sonic. Subsonic likes smooth and round. So get that bird and smooth as you can! I'm talking tape over seams, servo covers, the whole nine yards. The small details count at these speeds!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:56 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Basically, run your finger across the side of the fuse, heading toward the fan. Notice right as the intake stops, there's that sharp lip? Run your finger across it, it's hard and jagged. When the air hits there, it's gonna breakup right there before the fan. And since that's on both sides, you're gonna have some nasty mixing going on there.

That's the area I would extend back, and taylor it right into the fan, keeping both sides separate until the fan. That should help out ALOT.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:23 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,266 Posts
that middle divider should be super smooth, going as close to the rotor as you can get it.
stoneenforcer is online now Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:25 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Grrr... That's going to interfere with my plans to do a bunch of rotor and motor swapping
I'm able to get to the rotor and pull it out through the front, and then release the motor out the rear as it is right now. Won't be able to remove the rotor with the divider going all the way up to the fan. I hate to dismount the whole fan when I want to make a change. And I fiddle a lot with swapping out components.

Guess you can't have everything.

...unless I make the divider removable with a couple of pins... Will work on that!

I'll for sure at least get the transition super smooth with microballoons and sanding.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Nov 2012
15 Posts
200mph in a tiny jet like that .dont forget your carrier bag 4 the bits....thats if you can find them
boxster is offline Find More Posts by boxster
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster View Post
200mph in a tiny jet like that .dont forget your carrier bag 4 the bits....thats if you can find them
This one did 152 before a 2.4 gHz lockout (early AR6100) turned it into the "bits" .

The next one built, did 173.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:32 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,843 Posts
Gary, thats fixable!!!
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster View Post
Jet like what?
Spear?

This is no foamie pulled from the box with 4kW strapped to it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Gary, thats fixable!!!
Cory will tell ya, I'll repair almost anything. But not that black one. This one (my first) was repaired 6 times. Either pilot error, (me) or lockouts. It was saved a cuople of times from reboots. with that early rx. I finally went to the AR6200 and never a problem since at our field that's know for having a "devils triangle" area for 2.4 noise. (nearly 5 years ago)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014