HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:21 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,357 Posts
I`m in favor of just two passes and no weight restrictions. I don`t think a 26oz per sq ft is going to break 200mph, and someone needs to break 200 IMHO.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:33 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, I agree. it's gonna have to be somewhat more heavily loaded than that................plus be aerodynamically sound. the package has to be right, including gobs of power.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:32 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,917 Posts
Guy's, this thread started with the goal of breaking 200 on a single 70mm. Now we are talking 2 motor's. Why not keep it simple, and stay with 1????
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:44 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it still is that way soap. I think they were referring to a single fan, with two motors driving that fan. if it's an "unlimited" event, then you should be able to do whatever you like, within a certain amount of guidelines.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:00 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I say let anyone who wants to burn around with 2 fans, let 'em in the contest.
I don't see a need for any classes in the contest. Just a "GO!" Class.

A twin airframe will need twice as much power system, which will drive up the weight and required aircraft size, and associated drag, that much more. So a twin is not a free ride to speed.
So let it all run in the same class for fun.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:19 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Quote:
This would mean anyone who's build a plane not specifically for this contest wouldn't be able to enter it.
If someone has a hot setup from the days of yore, I say let 'em run it!
It's Unlimited, so no need to force the plane to be built for this competition.
Not necessarily but pictures will keep the BS and hot air lower. If you seriously think you can take one of your jets off the rack and make it do 200mph then all the luck to you, it ain't gonna happen.....
Quote:
I do understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't feel it's necessary IMO.
2 opposite direction passes, sure. But 4 passes often does require 2 flights, and sometimes that just doesn't happen in one day. Life gets in the way.
There are good Doppler passes and there are great Doppler passes.
To get a great pass, it's close to the camera and threaded down the pipe with little correction.
Just because the flight happens to have two great passes shouldn't mean it needs to be averaged with two other "not as good" passes.
yea but you need a moderator? My rules can be adjusted, lets say for the final tally a total of 4 passes, 2 lefts and 2 rights from two different flights on the same day then, with a total of two different flight days to judge for the total average, this would give contestants a better chance.
Weight restrictions? the speed cup guys have a restriction of 75g/DM squared = 24.58oz/sqft and are doing 260mph, its a safety thing. Airhead, you got time for some inertia calculations? Twins or single, its unlimited rite? This would be for bragging rites only unless Gary reinstates his ESC offer!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Dec 03, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Restricting the wing loading to 26oz./sf will knock out any jet that's not an EDF pylon/hotliner setup.
Look at even factory-stock foam jets like the Habu2. It's right at 26oz./sf.
No way anything fast is getting done on that wing loading.
Any F-16, Habu, F-20, F5, Sniper, Viperjet, or any other "jet-like" plane that goes over 120mph will have a wing loading very much over 26oz.
There's no need for it.
It's Unlimited.

The requirement for 4 passes will just make things a PITA. There's limited flight opportunity for setups like these that are on the cutting edge of performance. They don't get to fly 6 times a day like a 3S 2200 foamie.
Waiting on light for clean doppler, waiting on huge batteries to charge, waiting on the field to clear so you don't rip up someone else's Slow Stick. Plus, you may just want to stick in another cell for the next flight.
If the Doppler comes out clean on the first pass, there's no fooling anyone, and we're not gaining anything by requiring another pass in the same direction to average it out.
Speed Cup: Fastest pass left, fastest pass right. 2 passes, right?

We had the rules pretty well set out and there was good concensus.
The moderator isn't a rulemaker or enforcer. Just got to update the standings and point out the rules that have already been agreed on by the majority.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
Hashing out these rules is important so its definitely better to do it now rather than later!

Personally my opinion is to encourage creativity by minimizing rules! Allow people build what they want. If its powered by a 70mm EDF...it's legal.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:17 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
There's only one pace and thats Wide Open!

OK, how about all agreeing on one mandated rule, All entries allowed must be a purpose built EDF jet airframe only. No modified Strykers or Fun Jets or modded prop jobs, jets only.
Modifications: any and all modifications are allowed, carbon and or glass reinforcement is encouraged, gear on no gear allowed.
Diving: If you need to..
Crashing: after the pass forfeits the pass.
Chronicle: your build part is to keep the thread interesting, older pics from your dust collector are allowed.
Passes: Best two out of three flying sessions would be tallied for scoring whether it be all in one day or three different days. Clean video and sound for Doppler passes, so quiet your friends as the jet approaches.
Too bad but you'll have to wait on the giant 3D monster to land, plank noise invalidates the video.
Twins: Only if Lee builds one to murdnunoc's 50oz/sqft stryker weight or less!
Winner: only if the airframe makes it to 200 mph. If no one does it in a year then I'll build a jet to do 200, prove it and give it away to the next winner! airframe only that is. I'm not allowed to compete...

Mostly: Thank you all for the positive feed back, lets keep this alive untill we set a start date!
pdawg, thanks for the comment on minimizing the rules
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Dec 03, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: I will be the judge of that
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:33 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
OK, how about all agreeing on one mandated rule, All entries allowed must be a purpose built EDF jet airframe only. No modified Strykers or Fun Jets or modded prop jobs, jets only.
So what exactly is a ”jet” only? If I were scratch building, I would build exactly what I am working on. I'm guessing most folks would likely build something from an existing planform since scratch building is not as common or feasible for many.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,845 Posts
Anything that flies with a 70mm EDF on/in it.
Heck, throw a nacelle mounted EDF on the hotliner in your avatar!
(gotta loose the prop though )
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
yeah Troy! thats a pretty cool plane in your avatar! looks fast! How does it fly?
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:15 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
No modded prop jobs means no taking an F5D airframe and putting a 70mm jet on it. I think there was some interest in this from folks who'd like to compete.
Any kit/ARF we build for a fast jet is going to be modified to the point that it won't matter what it started out as.
I think the Funjet would make a decent platform to try for high speed EDF. Let someone try.

Quote:
Mostly: Thank you all for the positive feed back, lets keep this alive untill we set a start date!
pdawg, thanks for the comment on minimizing the rules
+1 on minimizing the rules!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,845 Posts
+2

A Stryker and a Phase 3 Fantom are pretty darn close anyway.
The Verticals in my photo were placed father out than they should be.
They are intended to be where the Stryker fins are.

BTW: the Fantom has a HUGE battery bay. This would a great "foam core" to start with. That's a 90 sitting on mine.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:13 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Do one, Gary!!
You deserve to have some fun if anyone does.

And do you have any closer pics of that fan mounted on the Fantom? There's been a little interest, including myself, of a good way to mount EDF to a Stryker.

Here's what I got as of now. Went for the split, inline setup rather than a nacelle.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15386

Last edited by murdnunoc; Dec 03, 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added pics, link